Comparison Smaller Cab Tractor vs Larger ROPS Tractor

/ Smaller Cab Tractor vs Larger ROPS Tractor #1  

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless, 2022 F350 Tremor, 24ft Diamond C HDT Equipment Trailer, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
I'm torn between two tractor options for my eight acres in Virginia; a 3000lb cab tractor or a 3500lb ROPS tractor (bare tractor weights). I have a personal preference for Japanese tractors with a name on it that is the actual company that built it, so that leaves me with Kubota or Yanmar.

Specifically, the Kubota L3560 ROPS or the Yanmar YT235 Cab, they both cost the same and are at the top of my budget ($27K). I'm going to have to buy about $6K worth of implements on top the cost of the tractor. I have two Kubota dealers and two Yanmar dealers nearby.

The tractor will be used to maintain my mostly flat property with some gentle slopes; no new construction or land clearing required; there is one steep hill on our gravel driveway. Most of the property is open and there will be little woods work except there are about a dozen dead trees around the perimeter that need to be taken down and removed.

Tasks include:

- Maintain 1/3mi long gravel driveway with box blade/land plane/rear blade; one steep hill on it
- Move/drag/load dead trees with grapple onto utility trailer for removal. We don't have a fireplace so firewood is useless to me. Would prefer to not burn trees/brush
- Bush hog 5 acres of pasture
- Clear snow off gravel lane; In VA it may not snow for 2-3 years but then sometimes we get 2.5ft of snow
- Maintain horse riding ring: currently don't own horses but maybe in the future
- Move mobile chicken tractor with 3pt or FEL ball hitch every few days. Chicken tractor weighs ~800lbs but is on wheels, only lifting one end and pulling/pushing it around pasture
- Dig 70 post holes for 3-board horse fence
- Must be wife-friendly and easy to use. Wife doesn't know how to use a clutch and may get intimidated by too many levers/buttons/options, or if it's too big.
- Assist with gardening projects around the house
- Do not/not have to move round bales

Lifestyle: I'm 47 years old, work full time, commute 100mi/day, and travel for work. Time is my biggest limitation. When I need to use the tractor I need to use it. I don't have the luxury to wait around for nice weather like my retired neighbor.

Cab Option: The more I think about the YT235 cab option the more I like it. I already got skin cancer once so some sun protection would be nice. In Virginia it seems like we rarely get nice weather in the spring anymore, it just goes from cold/windy/rainy winter to hot/humid summer. During the dog days of summer Virginia is just as hot and humid as the deep south which means that tractor work is a hot, sweaty, dusty, bug infested activity. Also, I sometimes travel for work up to a few weeks at a time which means the tractor will most likely sit in the barn. I like how the cab protects the tractor. It bothers me to think of birds using the steering wheel as a perch to poop all over the dashboard, wasps building nests in crevices, and dust/dirt/grass getting into all the controls. Also with the cab, I like how it can be left out in the open like a car without concerns of exposure.

ROPS Option: I test drove the L3560 ROPS and really really liked it. It's a heavier more capable tractor than the YT235 in almost every respect and I it allows for more flexibility in the future to handle bigger jobs. The HST+ transmission is awesome. I like the weight and the 71 inch wheelbase which is about perfect. The LA805 loader is significantly stronger and lifts higher than the YT235 loader as well. I anticipate the fully loaded operating weight of the YT235 Cab to be about 4500lbs and about 5500lbs for the L3560 (20% more weight for the Kubota).

Garage door: It'd be a bonus if whichever tractor I get can fit in my garage with a standard 84" door, thereby giving me multiple storage options. If not, then it'll have to go in the barn and live with the birds, bugs, snakes, and other critters. Specs for the YT235 Cab say that the roof is 83.6" high and I measured the L3560 with folded ROPS to be about 82-83" high, so it's a gamble whether either of these tractors will fit. However, it'd be a pain to fold the ROPS on the L3560 every time I want to put it in the garage, so it'd probably stay in the barn.

What would you guys do? Go for the benefits of the cab, or go for the tractor with more capability?

Last edited:
   / Smaller Cab Tractor vs Larger ROPS Tractor #2  
Spend a little more and get a L3560 or L4060 cabbed tractor.Cheaper than trading down the road.

/ Smaller Cab Tractor vs Larger ROPS Tractor #3  
What about a YT347?

/ Smaller Cab Tractor vs Larger ROPS Tractor #4  
I like those yanmars - wish we had a dealer closer - they also didn't have a MMM for me - regarding the cab - you are 47 - how long do u plan to keep the tractor? how long do u plan to live where you are ? Is resale important to you? all that aside there is no way you could talk me out of a cabbed unit - why............

you don't want to wear yourself out anymore than you already are at the end of the day by fatigue of the elements - with a cab u don't have to change clothes unless you are a suit man to get on your tractor and run cut the yard/pasture quick, ahhhh nutz its raining, so what go cut the pasture in the rain my cab will keep me dry- crap my allergies are acting up I better not mow, shoot wait I have a cab lets go!!! - wait I am not 55 and I never had asthma or allergies but all of a sudden!!!! sure glad I got a cab, but wait theres more......now its snowing it Saturday/sunday and I need to blade the drive because we have company coming or we head off to church I can do it an not get all suited up for the Klondike and then jump in the car and bam im off to town or church or whatever.

A cab is priceless in saving time and reducing fatigue - I cant tell you how much it has helped me and my aged father to have that option - grooming a dusty arena( for you ), mowing a pasture full of allergens, grading dusty gravel, keeping dry, keeping cleaner, keeping warm/cool, just overall experience is so much better not to mention gkids and such - I vote cab hands down if price is workable and it sounds like it is in your case. As for brand I think you will get more bang for your buck with yanmar, they are running some rebates right now also. Not speaking for all so don't anyone get all wound up - but my personal experience in my area is orange folks are a bit more rigid with their prices.

/ Smaller Cab Tractor vs Larger ROPS Tractor #5  
I'm torn between two tractor options for my eight acres in Virginia; a 3000lb cab tractor or a 3500lb ROPS tractor (bare tractor weights). I have a personal preference for Japanese tractors with a name on it that is the actual company that built it, so that leaves me with Kubota or Yanmar. Specifically, the Kubota L3560 ROPS or the Yanmar YT235 Cab, they both cost the same and are at the top of my budget ($27K). I'm going to have to buy about $6K worth of implements on top the cost of the tractor. I have two Kubota dealers and two Yanmar dealers nearby. The tractor will be used to maintain my mostly flat property with some gentle slopes; no new construction or land clearing required; there is one steep hill on our gravel driveway. Most of the property is open and there will be little woods work except there are about a dozen dead trees around the perimeter that need to be taken down and removed.

Tasks include:

- Maintain 1/3mi long gravel driveway with box blade/land plane/rear blade; one steep hill on it
- Move/drag/load dead trees with grapple onto utility trailer for removal. We don't have a fireplace so firewood is useless to me. Would prefer to not burn trees/brush
- Bush hog 5 acres of pasture
- Clear snow off gravel lane; In VA it may not snow for 2-3 years but then sometimes we get 2.5ft of snow
- Maintain horse riding ring: currently don't own horses but maybe in the future
- Move mobile chicken tractor with 3pt or FEL ball hitch every few days. Chicken tractor weighs ~800lbs but is on wheels, only lifting one end and pulling/pushing it around pasture
- Dig 70 post holes for 3-board horse fence
- Must be wife-friendly and easy to use. Wife doesn't know how to use a clutch and may get intimidated by too many levers/buttons/options, or if it's too big.
- Assist with gardening projects around the house
- Do not/not have to move round bales

Lifestyle: I'm 47 years old, work full time, commute 100mi/day, and travel for work. Time is my biggest limitation. When I need to use the tractor I need to use it. I don't have the luxury to wait around for nice weather like my retired neighbor.

Cab Option: The more I think about the YT235 cab option the more I like it. I already got skin cancer once so some sun protection would be nice. In Virginia it seems like we rarely get nice weather in the spring anymore, it just goes from cold/windy/rainy winter to hot/humid summer. During the dog days of summer Virginia is just as hot and humid as the deep south which means that tractor work is a hot, sweaty, dusty, bug infested activity. Also, I sometimes travel for work up to a few weeks at a time which means the tractor will most likely sit in the barn. I like how the cab protects the tractor. It bothers me to think of birds using the steering wheel as a perch to poop all over the dashboard, wasps building nests in crevices, and dust/dirt/grass getting into all the controls. Also with the cab, I like how it can be left out in the open like a car without concerns of exposure.

ROPS Option: I test drove the L3560 ROPS and really really liked it. It's a heavier more capable tractor than the YT235 in almost every respect and I it allows for more flexibility in the future to handle bigger jobs. The HST+ transmission is awesome. I like the weight and the 71 inch wheelbase which is about perfect. The LA805 loader is significantly stronger and lifts higher than the YT235 loader as well. I anticipate the fully loaded operating weight of the YT235 Cab to be about 4500lbs and about 5500lbs for the L3560 (20% more weight for the Kubota).

Garage door: It'd be a bonus if whichever tractor I get can fit in my garage with a standard 84" door, thereby giving me multiple storage options. If not, then it'll have to go in the barn and live with the birds, bugs, snakes, and other critters. Specs for the YT235 Cab say that the roof is 83.6" high and I measured the L3560 with folded ROPS to be about 82-83" high, so it's a gamble whether either of these tractors will fit. However, it'd be a pain to fold the ROPS on the L3560 every time I want to put it in the garage, so it'd probably stay in the barn.

What would you guys do? Go for the benefits of the cab, or go for the tractor with more capability?

If it is rainy/wet, the mud will stop you from working anyhow. If you're hilly, the cab raises your center of gravity. Other than that, sounds like you really want a cab, so buy one. :)

/ Smaller Cab Tractor vs Larger ROPS Tractor #6  
You have 4 choices:

1. Get the YT235C - it will do what you need it to do.
2. Raise your budget about $7k and get the L3560 HST+ Cab
3. Megamillions ticket - $420 million jackpot
4. Powerball ticket - $253 million jackpot

If I inspired you to get a ticket and you win please don't forget me - I have a CNH Financial loan to pay off :thumbsup:

Edit: Too late for the Megamillions ticket, drawing in 11 minutes. If nobody wins you can get for next drawing lol.

Last edited:
   / Smaller Cab Tractor vs Larger ROPS Tractor #7  
47 years old with a full time job and long commute. No land clearing. Absolutely no doubt buy a cab tractor.

/ Smaller Cab Tractor vs Larger ROPS Tractor #8  
My two cents worth, had tractors all my life but as you mentioned health issues and age (I am in late 60s), I could not do what I do now if I didn’t own a cab. I Bush Hog, mow grass, grade drive, work garden, deer fields, etc.

Larry

/ Smaller Cab Tractor vs Larger ROPS Tractor #9  
Even if the cabbed tractor is less capable, you'll get more done with it.

With the 0% financing most brands offer, the monthly cost to raise your budget may not be all that bad.

/ Smaller Cab Tractor vs Larger ROPS Tractor #10  
Cab: nice in the rain, snow, when mowing will be quieter and bug free.

Open Station - easier to get on/off it..which if you have horses, and gates, you will do a lot of.

I needed a certain size tractor and well, have a budget of a certain size. I went with kioti ck3510hst open station - I don't live on the tractor so can deal with open station for when I need to be on there (most time is spent mowing horse pastures..got tractor june 4 and have 130 hours on it).

The kioti has more features and less costly options than the kubota of the equivalent model. A couple of grand is better in my bank than the dealer's. At least I beleive so even if the dealer may not. LIttle things - floor mat, arm rests, grab handles, etc. I got rear remotes $295..kubota wants $895. Quick attach bucket and bucket level indicator included...it adds up.

I sold a 70s kubota - but nobody makes anything like they did 40 some years ago. Neighbor has a 30 year old kioti - never repaired. And I like the ergonomics better than the kubota (hst pedals, fuel tank location)

Friend has a MF workmaster...I like a lot of it btu didn't go look..seemed more expensive.
Didn't like mahindra at all.
RK (tym) seems a good value, but no tym dealer nearby and RK has twice dropped tractor lines, not a real dealer (support/expertiae) and I ended up paying LESS than the comparable RK...

Also consider USED implements - I bought my landpride box blade and county line auger new, everything else used - 6' bush hog brush hog, $550. J-Bar disks, $900 new I paid $300. HAd a 4' brush hog, paid 450, sold it for 500 when I got the bigger one (and new tractor). Oh, i bought titan forks new too - $269.

I can do hay if I so desire - small scale with a 30hp pto, but it's possible With 25 acres and 6 horses we don't need it all for pastre and hay runs $4-5k a year. Issue is storage for it all...used equipment..can get a square baler needs some work $300, rotary cutter $1200 or less (saw one with no rolls for $400!).

I should be able to move round bales with this tractor (4400lbs or so w/ loader and loaded tires) if needed. One size up would probably have been a better choice in many ways, but then bigger implements cost more money...at some point my wants exceed my means.