Smaller just may be better

/ Smaller just may be better #1  

jonrjen

Bronze Member
Ok, as a few of you know, I have been on the fence about trading up from my little Jinma 204 to a Jinma 284. A number of you told me I most likely wouldn't notice any difference in the power, there for the cost difference wouldn't be worth the cash difference. Also no one seemed to know if the FEL from the 204 would fit the 284.
After doing a lot of question asking, web searching, Northern Tool trips my findings are as follows. The 284 weighs in around 500#s greater, it is also a 3 cyl, which I have been told develops less torque than the 2 cyl which the 204 is. This now equates to 8HP more, but 500# more to move with less torque. Larger tires on the 284 would mean the need for more power to get her rolling. I figure that I may net an additional 4 HP when all is said and done.
As for the FEL, the 204 has a frame that goes all the way down the motor compartment and cradles the block, where the 284 frame ties into the block of the engine and thus becomes part of the frame. The 3 cyl makes for a longer tractor than the 2 cyl. It appears that the FEL would not interchange due in part to all of the above, however I could be wrong.
Bottom line is it looks like those of you who said "Think Carefully before trading" just may have been right.
I guess the Tim Allen more power would only leave me with Less money.
Let's see, a Jinma 284......$5,500..........a Jinma 284LE.......$5995?
I think I will invest the money in Ford Motor stock.

/ Smaller just may be better #2  
I have the Farm Pro 2420 and would love to upgrade in the spring. I can't decide what is best for the $$. The 224 looks like it is similar in size to the 254. I originallly thought the 284 was the size of the larger Farm Pro Tractor but someone on here stated it is the size of the 35 hp Jinma so getting a deal on the larger Farm Pro style tractor is out of the question. The 224 looks the best for my budget but I can never conclude what the major differences are. I want to buy a front loader as well later on (like the Koyker 160) but I don't want a tractor that is on the small size to handle the loader. All I will be doing is mowing and try to make some trails on my hilly land.

This guy has always seems to have decent prices and is less than 350 miles from me. No tax and delivery is nice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56979&item=3856593268&rd=1

I do have an I-beam with lifts in the shop so I could assemble a tractor if the price was right. All this is going to depend on what I can get for my 2yr old basic Farm Pro locally and how much money I have at the time. I am curious what the prices are going to do when the emmision laws come into effect.

/ Smaller just may be better #3  
I have a 204 Jinma 3 cyl. w/ a Koyker 160 and 60" bucket. I've had it for 8 months and already have 150 hours, so I've used it quite abit. HP doesn't seem to limit the loaders ability to lift. I can just about lift the rear end of the tractor with a big load if I don't have a 3pt attachment. I've moved hundreds of yards of dirt with a 5' grader box and cut pretty thick brush with a 4' KK rotary mower. I have to say I've never been wanting for more power. I only have a 6 acre horse place so the slightly smaller stance makes me pretty maneuverable. I guess more hp would allow wider 3 pt accesories, but then I couldn't get in and out of gates as easy. I also like the idea that the same frame and axles on the 204 are used by Jinma for greater hp models, so I figure my drivetrain won't be stressed as much with the lower hp.

/ Smaller just may be better #4  
Just to clear up, the 284 is the same as 254 not much bigger than the 204. The 224 now is also about the same size as the Farm Pro 2425 JM254/JM284. The 304/354 are much larger framed tractors and completly different design.

/ Smaller just may be better
So am I incorrect in the assumtion that the loader will not fit from the 204 to the 284.
I'm getting as confused as a new born in a topless bar.

/ Smaller just may be better #6  
The shuttle shift sure makes loader work much easier.

Bill

/ Smaller just may be better #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So am I incorrect in the assumtion that the loader will not fit from the 204 to the 284. )</font>
I would approach the problem from the standpoint of fitting a loader to a tractor, not the other way around.

But that's just me. As far as your question though, there's no way to accurately answer it without first knowing the make/model/size/et cetera of existing FEL

//greg//

/ Smaller just may be better #8  
The loader itself is the same, but the brackets are different. You will have a much better time selling (or trading) your old tractor if you leave the loader on, but probably not the full price of a new loader. If you have a Jinma zl loader, than brackets are a little hard to come by. If it is a Koyker loader you can order just the brackets from Koyker and reuse your 160 or 140 loader on either size tractor.

/ Smaller just may be better #9  
Chip,
Your a wealth of info and I'll keep you in mind when it is time to do the deed. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Smaller just may be better #10  
Now when you say smaller may be better you are very correct as I stand 5 ft 6 inches tall which is considered smaller!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Means if I want to get mean and tell someone off I just have to stand on a stool or stand on his foot .

Egon