Smaller tractor - what do you recommend

/ Smaller tractor - what do you recommend #1  

southerniltractor

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40se HST with FEL, Simplicity Landlord, JD130
Howdy folks,

I'm helping my neighbor shop for a small tractor. I did my tractor shopping back in 2010 and ended up with a Kioti DK40se hst, so I'm a bit rusty. Based on his stated needs, we are looking for 25-35 hp diesel, 4wd, and front end loader capable of lifting 1000 pounds. We've shopped the local Kubota, Massey, LS, John Deere, and New Hollard dealers. Less locally, we shopped a well established Kioti dealer where we eyeballed the most capable and least expensive machine of the bunch (CK2610 hydro).

My neighbor is not comfortable with his dealer being almost 2 hours away, so the Kioti is out. Yes, we do have a more local Kioti guy, but he sells mostly ATVs and the tractor line is a secondary business. I don't believe he's got the capability to perform significant warranty or service work.

Second most capable is probably the LS line of small tractors. The MT225he specifically interests me. The local LS guy is very high on his prices. We are expanding our search to another dealer.

The rest include Kubota which has great reputation and is priced to reflect that fact. Massey is an Iseki machine and is very nice. It is also priced high. New Holland machines are made by LS and the local dealer is focused on larger Ag clients, so no inventory to view. John Deere was the least capable and disliked by us both.

All of these new machines ranged from $17,400 (Kioti) up to over $19,000 for the Kubota. Most were about $18,500. Warranties on all these machines are very similar.

Until we find a machine/price he likes, my trusty DK40se hst and I will help him with his landscaping project. At this point, he needs the loader capability of my Kioti, but once the heaviest lifting is behind him, a smaller machine fits him better.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Be well,
Mike

/ Smaller tractor - what do you recommend #2  
I went tractor shopping last year. That's when I learned about Tier 4 pollution controls added to anything larger than 25 horsepower. I opted to stay simple and got a Kubota L2501. Its front loader is rated at 1192 pounds. They use the same loader on heavier tractors. While you're shopping note prices on options. My Kubota was a $16,000 tractor but that was naked. The loader was a $4,000 option. I went with Kubota because LS and Mahindra have the same dealer and I've dealt with him before. The Yanmar looked physically small. So far I'm happy with my choice.

/ Smaller tractor - what do you recommend #3  
Based on his stated needs, we are looking for 25-35 hp diesel, 4wd, and front end loader capable of lifting 1000 pounds.

All of these new machines ranged from $17,400 (Kioti) up to over $19,000 for the Kubota. Most were about $18,500. Warranties on all these machines are very similar.

Kubota L2501.

(Over 25-horsepower Tier IV pollution controls add ~~ $2,500 to tractor cost.)

VIDEO: Comparing Kubota's 26hp Compact Tractors - YouTube

Last edited:
   / Smaller tractor - what do you recommend #4  
I would go with the Kubota 2501.

Mine has got 3000 hours on it with very little repair work. If I was to buy another tractor, it would be with the same model. That kind of says a lot.

/ Smaller tractor - what do you recommend #5  
Howdy folks,

I'm helping my neighbor shop for a small tractor. I did my tractor shopping back in 2010 and ended up with a Kioti DK40se hst, so I'm a bit rusty. Based on his stated needs, we are looking for 25-35 hp diesel, 4wd, and front end loader capable of lifting 1000 pounds. We've shopped the local Kubota, Massey, LS, John Deere, and New Hollard dealers. Less locally, we shopped a well established Kioti dealer where we eyeballed the most capable and least expensive machine of the bunch (CK2610 hydro).

My neighbor is not comfortable with his dealer being almost 2 hours away, so the Kioti is out. Yes, we do have a more local Kioti guy, but he sells mostly ATVs and the tractor line is a secondary business. I don't believe he's got the capability to perform significant warranty or service work.

Second most capable is probably the LS line of small tractors. The MT225he specifically interests me. The local LS guy is very high on his prices. We are expanding our search to another dealer.

The rest include Kubota which has great reputation and is priced to reflect that fact. Massey is an Iseki machine and is very nice. It is also priced high. New Holland machines are made by LS and the local dealer is focused on larger Ag clients, so no inventory to view. John Deere was the least capable and disliked by us both.

Until we find a machine/price he likes, my trusty DK40se hst and I will help him with his landscaping project. At this point, he needs the loader capability of my Kioti, but once the heaviest lifting is behind him, a smaller machine fits him better.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Be well,
Mike

Could you pleas tells us more about the size of the place that your neighbor will be maintaining and what are some of the chores he needs the future tractor to perform.

/ Smaller tractor - what do you recommend #6  
Could you pleas tells us more about the size of the place that your neighbor will be maintaining and what are some of the chores he needs the future tractor to perform.

Yes, this. You left out the most important details of all.

What is the exact size and scope of work your neighbor is looking to use the tractor for?

What if any pto driven implements or attachments is your neighbor looking to power from the tractor?

It does not take much hp to move a tractor chassis around by itself. But the demands of the powered or driven tools are what will drive the hp requirements.

/ Smaller tractor - what do you recommend #7  
kubota 2650

/ Smaller tractor - what do you recommend #8  
I'd go with the Kubota B2301. FEL will lift 1523 #. Has turning brakes. JD 2 series no longer have them; they say.

Ralph

/ Smaller tractor - what do you recommend #9  
I'd go with the Kubota B2301. FEL will lift 1523 #. Has turning brakes. JD 2 series no longer have them; they say.

Ralph

Looks like the 2025R doesn't have turning brakes now but the larger 2 series tractors do. Probably because smaller tractor users don't use them much. Having grown us with 2WD farm tractors, I'm surprised at how little use I have for turning brakes on a 4WD CUT.