Smoothing land - How to start over.

/ Smoothing land - How to start over. #1  

SgtSluggo

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 4105, Ford 1700
We just moved onto our land and I have about 7 acres of field around the house. It is old pasture land that is extremely bumpy and hard. I would like to work toward getting it smooth enough to cut a least a portion of it with the zero-turn.

We are looking for a larger tractor, but I am trying to work with what I have for now. Currently I am targeting about half an acre that I am trying start with to test out my method. So far nothing has really touched it. I tried running over it with a chain harrow and that didn't really touch it. I bought a very small atv style disc harrow (was what I could afford not knowing if it would work) and it just mostly bounces off the top of all the worst parts. I weighed it down as much as as I could but that didn't help.

I think I have access to a one bottom plow.

Is there anything else I can try that would only require a semi restart of the grass and such? What do I do if I am willing to just start all over? I am trying not to invest in equipment that I won't have a use for later, and I am willing to put in more time to save money.

Just as a reminder - I grew up a city boy and this little 1700 with a bush hog is my first experience with a tractor. I am having to mostly teach everything to myself. I have what amounts to no institutional/inherited knowledge taking care of land beyond cutting the grass.

If the answer is to just pay someone to do this, who am I looking for and any advice on how to find that kind of service?

Thanks

/ Smoothing land - How to start over. #2  
Ford 1700 Dimensions
2WD Wheelbase:60.2 inches
152 cm
4WD Wheelbase:59.3 inches
150 cm
Length:110.6 inches
280 cm
Width:54.7 inches
138 cm
2WD Weight:2444 lbs
1108 kg
4WD Weight:2633 lbs
1194 kg
2WD Ground clearance:14.4 inches
36 cm
4WD Ground clearance:12.6 inches
32 cm
2WD Front tread:43.5 to 57.5 inches
110 to 146 cm
4WD Front tread:44.5 inches
113 cm
Rear tread:43.3 to 58.7 inches
109 to 149 cm

Whether your Ford 1700 is 2-WD or 4-WD it will manage to pull either a 12" or 14" width, one bottom moldboard plow through damp soil easily.

• Plowing will loosen the soil but not leave it any smoother. Pasture grass usually regenerates after one plowing.
  • Improved pasture grass varieties my be 50% more productive relative to what you have, if you are willing to adjust soil pH if indicated by a soil test, and fertilize.

The best implement for smoothing after the plow with your light tractor would be a PTO powered roto-tiller.

VIDEOS (2):

FORD 1700 PLOWING - GOOD VIDEO.​

Last edited:
   / Smoothing land - How to start over. #3  
I would till up the land with a tiller. You can rent one if you can not afford to buy one. Use your disk and smooth it out. Seed it and drag the area with the harrow.

/ Smoothing land - How to start over. #4  
I have about 7 acres of field around the house.

If your Ford 1 is 4-WD and the controls are working correctly, it should accomplish almost everything you need a tractor to do on seven acres, albeit slowly.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

We are looking for a larger heavier tractor.

I bought a very small atv style disc harrow and it just mostly bounces off the top of all the worst parts. I weighed it down as much as as I could but that didn't help.

Light implements are a waste of money. If you weight them, you will eventually break the welds.
Ask for implement recommendations here before buying implements.

Last edited:
   / Smoothing land - How to start over. #5  
Tiller will just bounce off hard ground,box blade with scarifiers.

/ Smoothing land - How to start over.

Whether your Ford 1700 is 2-WD or 4-WD it will manage to pull either a 12" or 14" moldboard plow through damp soil easily.

Plowing will loosen the soil but not leave it any smoother.

The best implement for smoothing after the plow with your light tractor would be a PTO powered roto-tiller.

VIDEOS (2):

I think my plan for next may be to take a small out of the way area of the field to test running a plow over it. Is it possible that I would be able to get it smooth enough with a disc and then chain? I'm not sure where a tiller will be on our list of things.
I would till up the land with a tiller. You can rent one if you can not afford to buy one. Use your disk and smooth it out. Seed it and drag the area with the harrow.
Tractor equipment rental isn't common around here, everyone seems to only have skid steer attachments for rent. A tiller is probably on our list eventually. Any risk in hurting the equipment it very hard soil?
I have about 7 acres of field around the house.

If your Ford is 4-WD and the controls are working correctly, it should do almost everything you need a tractor to accomplish on seven acres, albeit slowly.

Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

We are looking for a larger heavier tractor.

I like our little 1700, but it is only 2wd and doesn't have a loader. It's taught me a lot already about working on a tractor myself (i.e. I wouldn't exactly call it reliable). I have several uses for a loader (which is the real reason for looking for a tractor now), and I would also like to be able to run something bigger than our 5ft bush hog on some of the areas we aren't going to cut as often and that will be future proof for what I might want to do in the future. What we can afford will depend on what things actually end up being important (weight, hp, 4wd, etc) but I would expect we are going for a larger, more powerful, and heavier tractor.

/ Smoothing land - How to start over. #7  
I think my plan for next may be to take a small out of the way area of the field to test plowing.

I tried running over it with a chain harrow and that didn't really touch it. I bought a very small atv style disc harrow and it just mostly bounces off the top of all the worst parts.

Is it possible that I would be able to get it smooth enough with my ATV disc and a chain harrow?

It is possible if your soil is moist, you plow first, and you are then willing to make twelve to fifteen passes over the furrowed field. 'Moist and hard' is much, much easier to work than dry adobe brick. (I would not spend my time this way.)

Light implements are a waste of money. If you weight them, it will eventually break the welds.

Most tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight operate in residential or hobby farm applications on one to ten flat acres.

Selling a used tractor is easy. Selling multiple light implements in order to buy heavier, wider implements for a new, heavier tractor requires a lot of time. Depreciation on implements is worse than depreciation on a tractor.

When considering a tractor purchase bare tractor weight first, tractor horsepower second, rear axle width third, rear wheel/tire ballast fourth.

Last edited:
   / Smoothing land - How to start over. #8  
I would also like to be able to run something bigger than our 5ft bush hog on some of the areas we aren't going to cut as often.
When your field is smooth you should be able to mow at 4 mph.

• With a 60" mower @ 4 mph you should cut a least two acres per hour.
  • With a 72" mower @ 4 mph you should cut a least 2-1/2 acres per hour.

Rotary Mowers, like other implements, come in Light Duty, Medium Duty and Heavy Duty models. Generally speaking, there is 150 pounds of weight difference assoicoated with heavier increments. If you carefully study new mower specs, most have Category 3 drive lines. Heavy Duty models have Category 4 drive lines. Dealers often refer to HD Category 4 mowers as "Right-of-Way" Mowers.

25 horsepower will power a Light Duty 5' Rotary Mower
35 horsepower will power a Heavy Duty 5' Rotary Mower

35 horsepower will power a Light Duty 6' Rotary Mower
45 horsepower will power a Heavy Duty 6' Rotary Mower

Using a HD Rotary Cutter of 1,000 - 1,100 pounds you will need an FEL to hold down the front of the tractor on moderate slopes.

Last edited:
   / Smoothing land - How to start over.
Most tractors under 3,000 pounds bare weight operate in residential or hobby farm applications on one to ten flat acres.
I'm not sure our land could be more flat except for the ditches that drain the land into the creek. We do have some areas that get muddy easily, but more because they are the edge of wetlands rather than a valley.

/ Smoothing land - How to start over. #10  
Last edited: