Snake bites this year?

/ Snake bites this year? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
The news reported last night that we have had a total of 32 poison snake bites this year in Alabama, so far this year. There was a total of 9 the whole of last year, so this quite an increase even with the rest of the season remaining (4 more months at least). I am wondering if this is due to having too much rain at once in places. We have had some gully washers this year so far. Does this drive the copper heads/ water moccasins/rattle snakes out of there holes? Just wondering. :confused3:

/ Snake bites this year? #3  
All the more reason to not harm our king snakes, as they like to chow down on copperheads.

/ Snake bites this year? #4  
If my memory serves me correctly, the heavy rains cause the creeks and rivers to rise (duh) an it forces the snakes and their prey up into areas they do not normally frequent...including our backyards, feed lots, etc. Come to think of it, thanks for the reminder. I have a creek back of my house; I'll have to be more careful. My little Boston Terrier was bitten several years back, so I know the varmints are there.