Snake deterrent... will this work?

/ Snake deterrent... will this work? #1  

Jstpssng

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3301
My mother's water supply is a large concrete vault (12x16', +-) over a good spring which comes through the ledge in several places. The water level is stable at about 8 feet which is where the 3/4" overflow is at. It's covered by a 2x4 frame with metal roofing topping that. She has an ultraviolet purifier so her water is clean. However, every summer multiple snakes end up in the well where they drown. Last year one of them tried to escape through the overflow and got trapped; by the time I realized it the water was almost to the top. It would take quite a bit to seal it, and she won't be there for many more years.

I am thinking about putting down some weed barrier, then putting 3/4+ crushed stone on top to discourage them. Has anybody had experience with this, to know if it will or won't work? Luckily we don't have poisonous snakes up here, so with the water purifier they are more of an annoyance than anything.

Thank you.

/ Snake deterrent... will this work? #2  
So, where do you think the snakes are getting in?
Are there gaps between the roof and concrete?

If snakes can get in, so can mice and insects. I would want to fix the cracks/holes just from the bacterial perspective.

Around here spring boxes have a redwood 2" sill bolted to the concrete, with enough mortar below to make a tight seal. (Recessed holes for the nut and washer) If you have cedar, cypress or another rot resistant wood that would be great, too, just don't use pressure treated wood. The roof is then fastened to the sill in a removable way, often by an inner ring of 2xs for friction fit to the sill, and fastened to the roof. Don't forget a 1/8-3/16" screening on the overflow...

All the best,

Peter

/ Snake deterrent... will this work?
Are there gaps between the roof and concrete?
Yes. I haven't seeen evidence of mice getting in, possibly because we keep it mowed down. Replacing the top would be a chore, starting with adding another layer of concrete to the top to smooth it out. The filtering system takes care of the bacteria et.al., I just would like to keep the snakes out for aesthetic reasons.

/ Snake deterrent... will this work? #4  
Would fine mesh screening work?

/ Snake deterrent... will this work? #5  
How small are the snakes? I like the fine galvanized wire mesh idea provided you dont get rust/seepage from it into the water.

/ Snake deterrent... will this work? #6  
Could it be no mice because there are snakes? :unsure:

Have you considered a wildlife ladder so they can climb out of the water? And a one-way flap in the cover so they can get out but not back in.

/ Snake deterrent... will this work? #7  
My mother's water supply is a large concrete vault (12x16', +-) over a good spring which comes through the ledge in several places. The water level is stable at about 8 feet which is where the 3/4" overflow is at. It's covered by a 2x4 frame with metal roofing topping that. She has an ultraviolet purifier so her water is clean. However, every summer multiple snakes end up in the well where they drown. Last year one of them tried to escape through the overflow and got trapped; by the time I realized it the water was almost to the top. It would take quite a bit to seal it, and she won't be there for many more years.

I am thinking about putting down some weed barrier, then putting 3/4+ crushed stone on top to discourage them. Has anybody had experience with this, to know if it will or won't work? Luckily we don't have poisonous snakes up here, so with the water purifier they are more of an annoyance than anything.

Thank you.
Believe it or not I put mothballs around areas I do not want snakes getting into. Like my wood piles and sheds. I would put them around the inside and outside of your water shed (not in the water). If you have mice I would put traps out to get rid of them

/ Snake deterrent... will this work? #8  
Lighting the wellhouse should discourage most of them. Pulsating ,rotating and other light movement helps.

/ Snake deterrent... will this work? #9  
Yes. I haven't seeen evidence of mice getting in, possibly because we keep it mowed down. Replacing the top would be a chore, starting with adding another layer of concrete to the top to smooth it out. The filtering system takes care of the bacteria et.al., I just would like to keep the snakes out for aesthetic reasons.
How about spray foam insulation? "Hole-stuff" Cheap, quick, and would fill any holes or openings. I would still screen the overflow.

I'm jealous. That sounds like a wonderful spring.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited:
   / Snake deterrent... will this work? #10  
That spring sounds like a really good thing. Even though UV sterilization works very well for microbes and many parasites when done properly there are toxins released by bacteria feeding on rotting flesh that may not be rendered harmless by UV. So even though the esthetic reason for keeping snakes from drowning in the cistern (yukk!) are fine there are other reasons why keeping critters out of the water are a good idea. Can you not stretch 1/4 mesh galvanized screen over the top of the cistern? I wish we had a picture.
Eric