snap ring v retaining ring

/ snap ring v retaining ring #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
is there a difference? is there a way to remove it without buying the tool? yeah i know the tool is cheap but its not nearby.

/ snap ring v retaining ring #2  
Depending on the style and location you can sometimes pry snap rings out with a screw driver or some other form of thin device. you just need to use care so that you don't bend the ring beyond it's yield point or let it fly out and hit you in the eye.

/ snap ring v retaining ring #3  
Yeah, as oldnslo said, you can remove them without pliers. Sharp picks are my tool of choice. Just takes a little patience.

/ snap ring v retaining ring
what i really need is drone delivery of the tool. i tried the prying method you describe but i lost patience.

/ snap ring v retaining ring #5  
If it's a small enough ring try a small needle nose plier, or big use big POINTY needle nose, and screwdriver together. If you can get one end out of the groove get the screwdriver under it and keep moving around little by little. Maybe even find a donor screwdriver you can bend the tip of to help you pry.
Can surely be done, but as you found out it takes lots of patience. Careful pliers will also pinch your hand and cause blood blister(s). Have fun, KW

/ snap ring v retaining ring #6  

Get a pair of electronics needle nose pliers. The tips can be ground and/or bent to make a passable pair of ret ring pliers. Of course, you could order the correct tool fr McMaster-Carr and have it the next day.