snow blade rubber edge help

/ snow blade rubber edge help #1  

Dave N

Tractor
Yanmar SC 2400
Hi All,
Real quick, I have a Kubota BX 2380 with a FEL and a power angle snow blade (2672) that operates with a third function valve. Had it for a couple years, and it has worked well on our 75 yard gravel driveway and turning area. The challenge is that we just had the driveway and turning area black topped, and I wanted an alternative to metal cutting edge because I would periodically gouge the heck out of the gravel driveway. It was easy enough to just rake the gouge over in the spring, and while the black top is still a "drive way" and it takes general abuse, I wanted to not do any unnecessary damage to it. So, I did some research, and came to the conclusion that a rubber edge made out of stall mat as noted on the forums would be the ticket.

The problem came in when I went to Tractor Supply for stall mat. The stuff I was familiar with was usually either 3/4 or 1" thick smooth rubber sheets, usually reinforced with threads throughout. Crazy tough, and very similar to a tire treadwall. Fast forward 40 years, and all I could find was labeled as 3/4" inch, which it was, but the overall mat is 1/2" thick, with an additional 1/4" of raised circles making the 3/4 thickness. I checked on mat at Rural King also, and a similar thing. 3/4" mat, but had 1/4" slots cut in it, so at a slot it is only 1/2" thick, and the slots ran the width, so it was equally a weak point. Also checked Agway and they did not have any mat at all.

Now, in fairness to TS and RK, those probably make for a decent stall mats, as it provides for liquids so you don't have a 1000+ lb. animal hydroplaning across a stall on a pond of urine. But for blade edge, it makes for a potentially weak edge. But I bought it anyway at TS, because frankly, I often overthink simple things, and this seemed pretty straightforward. So, cut it into a 6 inch strip and mounted it on the blade with a piece of 1.5" wide, 1/4" thick steel to bolt it onto the blade with about an inch extending from the blade. Used it today with an overall good result, and it actually gave these little lines like corduroy which were kind of funny. Then though, I caught the very edge of the blade against the grass and it tore. I was careful to finish up, and it still worked, but it opens the door to gouging the driveway with that edge again. I can flip the piece over and use the other edge which won't take real long, but will be a pain to do every time, and I see this being an ongoing problem. Also, and somewhat separate, i can't believe I could not find a piece of 2 or 3" wide steel 1/4' thick anywhere locally. At least not at TS, or two hardware stores. RK is about an hour away, and I didn't go back there to check.

So, questions...
  1. Is there another source of stall mat I'm not aware of? I'm in Western PA, and TS, RK, and Agway are about all I know of. I suppose there may be a horse shop somewhere around that might have it, but I haven't come across it yet.
  2. Ideas on what to do if I can't find additional mat? My thoughts have been...
    1. Double up the edge with two 6 inch pieces of what I already have, possibly riveted together for strength
    2. Make a wider edge, say about 12", and wrap it around the edge of the blade, going from the holes in front as it is now, wrapping around the bottom and then bolting onto the back of the blade using the bolts that hold it on now
    3. Combination of 1 & 2, taking one piece and wrapping around the bottom of the blade as in #2, and then putting one layer on top of that protruding out about an inch which would be the "cutting edge". Then, if it snagged on something, it would just roll under the mat that is wrapped instead of being cut on the edge of the blade.
Any additional thoughts or places where I could get mat that would work better?

Thanks for any ideas you might have,
D

/ snow blade rubber edge help #2  
Before you go crazy contemplating alternatives - double up the mat you have and see how that works.
OR - find some WIDE skid shoes that can be bolted onto the bottom of the blade. Skid shoes plus the matting might be an acceptable answer.

/ snow blade rubber edge help #4  
It's all in ones perception ..............

/ snow blade rubber edge help #5  
I wouldn’t think the metal edge would dig into your black top drive way if your just scraping Snow. Although you will see scrape marks come spring.
Sorry, I never tried the rubber edge thing.
If I’m trying to be careful, I use some 1-1/4 pvc pipe and make a cut the length of the pipe. The width of the saw blade is enough to open the pipe and hold it in place on the tractor blade. I tap it on with a hammer. The pvc will wear flat eventually and you need to do it again.
It can be a pain in the butt sometimes though because it will sometimes get loose and drop off the blade when you lift the blade up.

/ snow blade rubber edge help #7  
I meant the OP of course………
I know Doughknob - I know ................ However - if that was "real quick" - he would be advised to provide a synopsis on normal or long posts. :):giggle:

/ snow blade rubber edge help #8  
I read that post wrong. I got caught up in all the info.
I put the pvc on the bucket.
I agree about putting shoes on the plow blade, that’s the best alternative.

/ snow blade rubber edge help #9  
Do you have access to tractor trailer mud flaps? I've seen them used on snowmobiles back end for snow control.

/ snow blade rubber edge help
Started out to be a paragraph, but then thought more detail would help