Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted
How often do you get over 18" of snow? If not that often, you still have your bucket.

Not very often, probably 1-3 storms per year. Most of the storms in my area tend to fall in the 6-12" range. Yeah, I'm not too worried about my ability to clear a large amount of snow at once, I'm just looking for a way to clean up our typical storms more efficiently.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #22  
It looks like you have R1s. That's good. If you have R4s you'll need chains. I have R1s and wheel weights on my 40hp New Holland. I have never had an issue with traction. My previous tractor had R4s and they turned into racing slicks in wet snow.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #23  
Just thought of a couple other things. If the Mahindra will rev a bit higher it should throw the snow farther than my tractor...
I was running about 1600 RPM in the vid. It is where my engine is happiest

So under 540 RPM.
Also the large 27" x 10 " deep Impeller is very precision built.
On mine none of the fan blades had even a 1/4 inch clearance to the housing.

Seems to make for a Very efficient pump.

Sorry about the italics, not sure what I did there

Last edited:
   / Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #24  
Not very often, probably 1-3 storms per year. Most of the storms in my area tend to fall in the 6-12" range. Yeah, I'm not too worried about my ability to clear a large amount of snow at once, I'm just looking for a way to clean up our typical storms more efficiently.
As wide as your road is, I would plow from the side to the center in both directions and use a rear facing snow blower and drive by mirrors. My driveway is a lot narrower than your road and that is my plan for next year. I already have 24-30" plow berms on each side of my driveway, but this is my first year with this set up, so there is still a bit to learn. A rear facing blower is a little cheaper and you won't have to worry about going through 24 inches of wet snow. I have an 84" plow and a 72" blower on a 50hp HST tractor.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #26  
12-15 pto per foot width of blower. Real simple.
LOL That would limit me to 36 inches of width, which would be useless with a 6' wide tractor. Yeah, I think you are being a little conservative with you width vs. horse power. Perhaps if one was using a 4' tall double auger tackling 2 feet of snow in a commercial operation but for the average guy clearing a driveway or private road, that horse power standard is a bit much.

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted
12-15 pto per foot width of blower. Real simple.

Doesn't seem that simple to me, those numbers are way higher than any other rate I've heard/read about. If it was that simple then guys like me would be limited to 3-4' blowers on the back of a 6'-6" wide, 10k lb. machine. Nobody is going to do that.

I agree with 3 Horse Ranch, a 4' tall, double auger, commercial blower may require those numbers, but a single auger homeowner blower, which is what we're talking about in this thread, shouldn't. In fact, per the manufacturer specs if the 78" model requires a minimum of 50 PTO HP to run, that would be 7.69 HP/foot. 84" at 60 HP would be 8.57 HP/foot.

Last edited:
   / Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #29  
I maintain about 1 mile of 16'-wide private road. Our storms range from 3" of light powder to 24"+ of wet, heavy, heart attack snow.
-Knowing that the blower may be used in combination with a 84" snow pusher, how would that affect your decision on which size blower?

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated!
I think that you'll end up taking different approaches to different snows.
Even with a nice light 3" snow we're still talking about blowing at +/- a walking speed to clear it. This might be where you'd plow to the edges and blow the windrow away to avoid big banks.
Deeper or wetter snows your travel speed will be even slower and may create a windrow (if you plow to the edge) that requires more HP than available and at some point you can't go any slower than 1st gear @ 540 PTO engine revs so you start taking "half bites" prolonging the process.
I'm mainly talking about your time, think about a snow that you decide to completely blow, at +/- walking speed, for a mile, and 4 or 4 passes.
I'm rambling but I bought a 96" double auger for the same reasons as you except my road (also my first blower and experience) 95hp tractor (M9540 kubota) and overlooked some of my above points. I am fortunate that I can add a "creeper" gear to my tractor because even 8-12" of average snow 1st gear out of 12 is not slow enough.
I knew I was probably short of hp but no matter what, the 1st opening pass requires a full cut. I rarely use it anymore, it's a cool tool but I'd want to be in the 150 hp range before I'd hitch it back up".
Are you a resident in a community with this private road and get paid to clear it?
You might think about having a "push back" per time fee and continue plowing it open.
Good luck 👍

/ Snow Blower Sizing - Opinions Wanted #30  
Doesn't seem that simple to me, those numbers are way higher than any other rate I've heard/read about. If it was that simple then guys like me would be limited to 3-4' blowers on the back of a 6'-6" wide, 10k lb. machine. Nobody is going to do that.

I agree with 3 Horse Ranch, a 4' tall, double auger, commercial blower may require those numbers, but a single auger homeowner blower, which is what we're talking about in this thread, shouldn't. In fact, per the manufacturer specs if the 78" model requires a minimum of 50 PTO HP to run, that would be 7.69 HP/foot. 84" at 60 HP would be 8.57 HP/foot.
Whatever. You get in deep wet snow, you'll wish you didn't have a weinie tractoor.