Tires Snow handling: Turf Tires (R3) vs. Ag Tires (R1/R4)

/ Snow handling: Turf Tires (R3) vs. Ag Tires (R1/R4) #1  

BX2230nut

Tractor
Kubota BX2230
I am gearing up for winter, and would like to use my BX2230 for snow handling (FM snow blower.) Does anyone have a recommendation on tires?

I currently have turf tires (R3) installed - but I notice alot of people posting videos of FM snow blower have flat-tread R4 tires.

Does anyone have experience with Re turf tires in the snow?

/ Snow handling: Turf Tires (R3) vs. Ag Tires (R1/R4) #2  
I've always had R1's on my tractors and my only experience with turf tires is on my riding lawn mower. They are not worth a plug nickel in snow. Mower is too light - tires are too wide. Perhaps an easy solution would be chains.

/ Snow handling: Turf Tires (R3) vs. Ag Tires (R1/R4) #3  
Turf tires are made for turf, not snow. Switching to R1 or R4 tires won't buy you that much more traction in snow and would be far more expensive than chains. Get a good set of cleated chains and you'll be good to go. Be aware that the chains can be rough on the driveway surface if it's paved.

/ Snow handling: Turf Tires (R3) vs. Ag Tires (R1/R4)
Turf tires are made for turf, not snow. Switching to R1 or R4 tires won't buy you that much more traction in snow and would be far more expensive than chains. Get a good set of cleated chains and you'll be good to go. Be aware that the chains can be rough on the driveway surface if it's paved.

bdhsfz6 - thanks for the tip. I was trying to avoid chains since my driveway was recently paved.

/ Snow handling: Turf Tires (R3) vs. Ag Tires (R1/R4) #5  
Turf tire are worthless in snow or ice. If your BX has turf tires then you are probably also using it to mow lawn?? If that is the case then you don't want R1's or R4's for summer use because they will tear up your lawn. You either need to have two complete sets of tires (very expensive option) or use chains in the winter.

/ Snow handling: Turf Tires (R3) vs. Ag Tires (R1/R4) #6  
Get some rubber chains. They are made from tire carcases. I use them on my small garden tractor, and they work awesome, and hold up extremely well. I'm sure they are not as good as real chains, but a great compromise. No driveway damage.

Turf tire are worthless in snow or ice. If your BX has turf tires then you are probably also using it to mow lawn?? If that is the case then you don't want R1's or R4's for summer use because they will tear up your lawn. You either need to have two complete sets of tires (very expensive option) or use chains in the winter.

Thanks.. Yes my BX2230 is used for lawn work (grass mowing / leaf clean up.) so the turf tires will be my primary tire for the bulk of the year.

Get some rubber chains. They are made from tire carcases. I use them on my small garden tractor, and they work awesome, and hold up extremely well. I'm sure they are not as good as real chains, but a great compromise. No driveway damage.

Great suggestion - I haven't seen these, but I think rubber chains may be the best option for what I plan on doing.

I found a website that makes them in the USA - Rubber Tire (Snow) Chains - Traction without damage.

/ Snow handling: Turf Tires (R3) vs. Ag Tires (R1/R4) #9  
I keep hearing R1 turf + chains beats R4 or R1 with chains. Lots of little nubbs to get a bite on the snow for traction.

My R4s have been ok, but I had front chains for my L3200 & needed them to steer while plowing. Picked up front chains for the L4060 as a precaution even though I never got a chance to plow with it last winter.

/ Snow handling: Turf Tires (R3) vs. Ag Tires (R1/R4) #10  
I have had R-1s and R-4s. In wet snow, the R-4s were worthless - filled up with snow and spun like a top. The rubber "chains" sounds like a good alternative for your turf tires.