Snow Equipment Owning/Operating Snow plows and tires

/ Snow plows and tires #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
When we replaced our big, heavy L3130 with a more petite L3400, we also got rid of the L3130's filled R-4 tires and got nice fat turf tires with the L3400. The better not to squash the lawn with, my dear, and having had turfs before, I preferred how they work in snow. In order to get traction to use the loader, and more importantly, if it ever snows again, the SSQA snow plow, I built a ballast box which probably adds 600 lbs. on to the 3-point. The previous owner used it in mostly for finish mowing, with a 6' rear deck, so he didn't need any additional weight.

Now, to the point: I am considering adding some Kubota wheel spacers in the rear- 1.75" each side. My thoughts are that the wider track will help offset the tendency for the 78" HLA plow to push the front of the tractor around- a little more stability. I know the plow should be a 72", but it was perfect for the old L3130, and since I already had it... Does anyone have any experience with what I want to do? The rear axle seems pretty heavy duty, so I am not so worried about spreading the wheels and damaging the rear end. Of course, hill side stability will be improved, and the extra width shouldn't cause any other issues I can fore see.

(I first posted this on Kubota owning and operating, but maybe this is a better forum?)

/ Snow plows and tires #2  
Widening the rear wheels will help with stability but I doubt if it will stop the front end from getting pushed around by heavy snow pushing against the front blade. Try using less angle on the blade when plowing snow.

/ Snow plows and tires #3  
I agree, only way to keep the plow from pushing is reduce the angle or reduce the load from the plow perspective. The other side of the equation is to increase the traction by weighting the front end or adding traction to the front tires by your choice of means.

/ Snow plows and tires #4  
I don't think you'll have a problem getting pushed around by the blade. I have a 72in on my CK35 and I've moved than 1 ft of heavy wet snow, full angle without issue this year. I agree Turf tires are the best for snow removal and lawn work.

/ Snow plows and tires #5  
I agree with Tom, though my Ford is 6,000 lbs. if it strarts to slide, back off the angle a little
Jim

/ Snow plows and tires #6  
The ballast box is unloading your front tires and reducing the amount of steering available. Better to add the wait from the rear tires forward, IE wheel weights and loaded tire. Ballast box designed to unload the front end for loader work.

/ Snow plows and tires
Dave, I guess you are right about the rearward weight. I don't want loaded tires, since for work other than snow removal they would cause lawn problems (loader or auger work) and now that I have the ballast box, the idea of buying wheel weights, and installing/removing them doesn't appeal to me. The ballast box will have to do. I may need rear chains- another option, but for just snow, I hope not, based on my earlier experience. Looks like I will be trying this out soon, if the forecast is right.