Snow push vs blower?

/ Snow push vs blower? #1  

SubK

Tractor
None
I don't have a tractor yet, but planning on getting something in the 25-35 hp range before this upcoming winter. Bobcat ct2035 or CT2025 are both currently at the top of my list.

I have about 5300 square feet of space to clear, all gravel. The driveway is about 250' of length which is all down hill from the house - nearly half of it is double wide. The rest of the square footage comes from parking areas and a turn around spot half way down the driveway.

On the three point hitch I would like to do a sander - we are in NH and get freeze / thaw type weather and ice storms through early spring, 10 year average on snowfall is about 70". With a very long roof line lining up with the top of the driveway, plus just melt on the driveway, our driveway turns into a downhill skating rink fast. I also plan on using it to keep the hills sanded on the private road we are on. Currently each time we pay the guy to sand the hills andy driveway, is about $50/ pop - so after nearly $1,500 over the last 4 winters I am looking for a more cost effective approach. For those curious, the best quote to have the snow cleared on our driveway by a a third party and his plow is $400/ season.

I have been clearing with an Ariens Platinum 30" which works well just looking to get it done faster and a bit less physical exertion. January - April I work 65-80 hours a week, so an easy quick solution is what I am looking for.

So as I start piecing together what I want in a tractor and implements to buy... 6' (or different size) Snow push or snow blower (size to be determined)? I am leaning towards push for the cost and simplicity of maintenance and I have plenty of places to put the snow, including directly across the street from the end of my driveway. Is there one of these that would work better for the situation as described? What size Snow push if I went with a Bobcat Ct2025 or CT2035 (slightly larger)?

/ Snow push vs blower? #2  
Hello fellow granite stater.
Blower you won't have worry about keeping the snow banks push back etc.,but 7 1/2' plow would be quicker clean up long as it's not heavy wet snow,also rear sander setup for blower & plow..." cost and simplicity of maintenance" you just have to go with your gut feeling.

Might consider rear loaded tires also rear tire chains.

/ Snow push vs blower? #3  
My father went with a pusher, I went with a front blower. by the 3rd storm his driveway is barely wide enough to get a prius down, let alone his escalade. You can't push a mountain of solid ice. I've been to NH in the winter, I'd get a blower.

There are two types of blowers, front and rear mount. I absolutely hate rear mount, you're turned around backing up and down the driveway/road to blow. I paid 2k for a 1986 kubota b8200 and 1k for a front mount blower and rigged it to fit 4 years ago and sure enough, that's when it decided to stop snowing in eastern PA. But when it returns I'm ready.

/ Snow push vs blower? #4  
I don't have a tractor yet, but planning on getting something in the 25-35 hp range before this upcoming winter. Bobcat ct2035 or CT2025 are both currently at the top of my list.

I have about 5300 square feet of space to clear, all gravel. The driveway is about 250' of length which is all down hill from the house - nearly half of it is double wide. The rest of the square footage comes from parking areas and a turn around spot half way down the driveway.

On the three point hitch I would like to do a sander - we are in NH and get freeze / thaw type weather and ice storms through early spring, 10 year average on snowfall is about 70". With a very long roof line lining up with the top of the driveway, plus just melt on the driveway, our driveway turns into a downhill skating rink fast. I also plan on using it to keep the hills sanded on the private road we are on. Currently each time we pay the guy to sand the hills andy driveway, is about $50/ pop - so after nearly $1,500 over the last 4 winters I am looking for a more cost effective approach. For those curious, the best quote to have the snow cleared on our driveway by a a third party and his plow is $400/ season.

I have been clearing with an Ariens Platinum 30" which works well just looking to get it done faster and a bit less physical exertion. January - April I work 65-80 hours a week, so an easy quick solution is what I am looking for.

So as I start piecing together what I want in a tractor and implements to buy... 6' (or different size) Snow push or snow blower (size to be determined)? I am leaning towards push for the cost and simplicity of maintenance and I have plenty of places to put the snow, including directly across the street from the end of my driveway. Is there one of these that would work better for the situation as described? What size Snow push if I went with a Bobcat Ct2025 or CT2035 (slightly larger)?

==========================================================================================================

Stay Away from a snow pusher or plow as you will run out of room to push snow.

As you are new at this I would suggest that you look at a B series Kubota and you can purchase the smallest small vicon or land pride pendulum spreader from the same Kubota dealer.

In doing that you can leave the pendulum spreader on the rear of the tractor and the snow blower on the front all winter.

In buying a truck load of sand you are going to need to use a torpedo/salamander kerosene fired space heater to warm the sand up so you can shovel it in the Vicon spreader with the spreader on the ground. Bagged all purpose sand is too expensive to use for a traction aid.

Investing in a good sand spreader will require you to invest in a pendulum spreader as the spin cast spreaders will clog up.

/ Snow push vs blower? #5  
Another vote for blower. Looks nicer to, without all those piles til spring.

A pusher is more fun though. Like a kid in the sandbox.

/ Snow push vs blower?
Thanks all the thoughts and recommendations!

The snow placement is a non issue for me - I live at the end of a dead end road the woods, with no neighbors within a few hundred yards of my house to see it, so lots of places to dump it / stack it up. I also don't have an issue with sand storage - the town stores sand about a 5 minute drive from my house in a covered structure that residents are allowed to pull enough for their driveways and walks, I had been getting 6-10 5 gallon buckets every other week or so and storing them in our basement (walks out directly into the garage).

All other very good points on the pendulum versus other spreaders - something I hadn't looked into or had known was an issue. Or even just as far as what will work faster, I would have thought a snow push would move things quicker than a blower for my application. Or even the price of good tire chains for the tractor...

Admittedly, this is almost pushing me more towards getting a Honda or Ariens track snow blower and a professional grade walk behind sand spreader to park next to the tractor, instead of using the tractor!

But in any case, I appreciate all the feedback - made me think, which is what I was looking for.

/ Snow push vs blower? #7  
Hello SubK,

JUST KEEP IN MIND that if you have a huge snowstorm like they have on occasion and quite often when the great northern began running through Montana you will run out of room unless you have a snow blower that has power to spare like a rear mount on a sub compact or a Yamaha 1332 track drive snow blower.

If you are close enough to the Canadian border I would purchase a Yamaha 1332 snow blower rather than anything made by honda or ariens as they are heavier and have more power and the 1332 has steering brakes.

The Ariens units are to light and will ride up on the piles of snow. The Hondas have had clogging/chute design problems for years.

You can purchase a Yamaha across the border and bring it back yourself with no restrictions as log as you state it is for personal use and if you use a credit card
The dealer can handle all the dollar/loonie exchange and tax issues as the VAT tax will be refunded to you through the purchase.

At a minimum I would not invest in anything less than a Kubota or John Deere sub compact with a rear mount snow blower: I will tell you why;

The rear mount snow blower will cost you less money to buy and own and The sub compact tractor will come with turf tires that will let you purchase
V bar snow and ice chains that will let you have a tremendous amount of traction.
If you invest in front weights and load the rear tires with windshield washer fluid you will have huge traction/adhesion.

If you purchase a front end loader you can use a hydraulic drive drop sand spreader to spread sand on your property.

The drop sand spreader will cost you more than a Vicon pendulum spreader as they are hydraulic powered and would need to have quick connects for the loader using an SSQA attachment plate on the loader frame.

You will need to have a supply of Fluid film spray or a gallon can to wipe it on to coat everything that contacts snow on your snow blower since heavy wet wet snow is the enemy of snow blowers of any brand.

The great thing about the Yamaha snow blowers is they have slick lining in the chutes and impeller housings to prevent plugging and icing up of their snow blowers.

If you invest in a snow blower you need to have a salamander space heater to melt the snow and ice off before you store it away and to warm it up completely before you even turn the key tp start it. If you store it outside do not put the cover/tarp on it until the metal/muffler is cold to the touch.

I use a kerosene fire space heater to melt ice and snow off the toro snow pup snow blowers the tractor and the truck I have and also to warm up the snow blowers before I start them and it also extends the life of the snowblowers too.

Last edited:
   / Snow push vs blower? #8  
I forgot to mention you can purchase a ride on spreader with a gas engine motor with a large hopper BUT you will need to invest in snow chains for it as is ment more for dry lawns.

/ Snow push vs blower?
I forgot to mention you can purchase a ride on spreader with a gas engine motor with a large hopper BUT you will need to invest in snow chains for it as is ment more for dry lawns.
Leonz - thanks for all the detailed information, I definitely appreciate it.

I currently have an Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - I've used the last 4 winters, which I'm sure works great in many situations, just not a steep driveway. After each use it gets parked in our walk out basement to avoid freeze up issues, but I've never had problems at all with it clogging. Primary issue is weight - keeping the front end down when going up hill. Have 20lb of weight added now, may need another 20-30 if I use it for another winter. Ultimately I think as you said, a subcompact tractor outfitted properly or along those lines would be the most efficient time saving solution.

The v tire chains is something I wasn't familiar with, that looks like it would help immensely even with my current set up. No pavement, so not concerned about any damage.

/ Snow push vs blower? #10  
Hello SubK,

A sfar as I know you can still purchase V bar chains for the snow mules

Check the V Belts and the rubber drive tire as they most likely will need to be changed as the rubber will have deteriorated a lot.

I use seafoam to treat all my fuel and Fluid Film Spray on the snow pups as it doubles the casting distance.

If you are going to keep the Ariens you should invest in a set of www.armorskids.com
as they are larger and will float better and not dig in too. you will be able to add more weight when you get the armorskids.

Tire Chains-Best Snow Chains-TireChains.com

Snow Tire Chains | Best Snow Chains | Free US Shipping

I am going ot invest in a pair of armor skids when I buy the new toro this year.

You can purchase armor skids for front and rear mounted snow blowers too.