SnowMageddon

/ SnowMageddon #1  

Barryh

Veteran Member
Harpers Ferry WV - Mountains of Shannondale
Tractor
Former owner of a P T -180 / Kubota BX-1500 .. A Craftsman Yard Tractor / John Deere 140 H-1 / Cub Cadet 108. And now ( Little Red ) a Power Trac 1425
Well we got hit with a little over 3 ft of snow this weekend a record storm.. If I had any doubts about this little Power Trac I have none now.. Without the PT I would have been totally lost..

I put a measured stick out on level ground it was right below the 3 ft mark by the time I went in the house. We got at least another 9 inches on top of that before it was finished. I'll go out today and take another picture of it. I'm sure it is over 3 ft.. :laughing:

I have a large 6 -1/2 hp heavy duty Snow Blower it choked after only 4 ft.. I had to drag it back in the garage.. I was a little concerned about taking the PT out since I'm really still working on it replacing hardware and doing upgrades but this storm was so severe it really gave me no choice.

I had found while up on jacks a few weeks ago. That I have another wheel motor on the left rear with a bad seal. If I push it up and down it will leak a few drops of oil. So I was really concerned I might blow a seal out in the middle of this mess.. But the old girl held her ground and never let me down.. I worked that machine really hard yesterday it moved a ton of snow and it didn't skip a beat.. Love this PT..

These pictures were all taken earlier in the day between 10:00 AM and 2:00 and the snow was still flying that night up until 9:00..

The new 4 ply tires were very stable and bit the ground like a sure footed mountain goat.. When these wear out I'll replace them with the same tire. I know they out preformed my turf tires I had on the little 180.. No need for chains even while going up hill on my 150 ft asphalt driveway.

The homemade Rop's helped keep the snow off. I didn't get a chance to try out the led 27-watt flood lights last night. But I know they would have worked great. I have tested them and they light up the woods nicely.

I'll have to go out again today and finish digging out.. It's going to be a few day's before they get back here to clear the road's. In 2010 when we had one this bad they had to use a huge wheel loader followed by a bulldozer to make it down these roads...

This all started on Friday around 12:00 noon and finally stopped Sat night around 9:00. I'm sure it will take them up until wed's to get back this far. I now have 5 ft high walls going up and down our driveway..

My wife and I were prepared.. She hit the grocery store early.. I stocked up on gas and oil for all of the equipment.. The generator, snow blower and the PT. Full gas tank in the Vehicles.. Will update with a few pictures when I go back out there today.. :thumbsup: ( Update news said we had a total accumulation of 4 -foot )

Attachments

• 12509285_886780638106293_964150452696986242_n (1).jpg
    12509285_886780638106293_964150452696986242_n (1).jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 396
  • Snow Storm 2016 249.jpg
    Snow Storm 2016 249.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 292
  • Snow Storm 2016 264.jpg
    Snow Storm 2016 264.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 280
  • Snow Storm 2016 306.jpg
    Snow Storm 2016 306.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 280
  • Snow Storm 2016 308.jpg
    Snow Storm 2016 308.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 286
  • Snow Storm 2016 346.jpg
    Snow Storm 2016 346.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
   / SnowMageddon #2  
Dang...after that clean up you'll have to go back to work and rest up.

/ SnowMageddon #3  
I really enjoyed those pictures !!!

/ SnowMageddon
Hahaha thanks Blueriver .. I'll have a few more of them today.. Just heard the official news report around the corner for this area ... 4-feet ..

/ SnowMageddon
You know it Thomas.. I'll have to go back out and finish it up today.. I'm sure we won't be going anywhere until at least Weds.. I'll get a chance to enjoy some extra time off after that.. ;)

/ SnowMageddon #6  
Wow! Just curious on these power tracs. Is there a reason for their design? What kind of jobs are they geared to do or specialize in?

/ SnowMageddon
Wow! Just curious on these power tracs. Is there a reason for their design? What kind of jobs are they geared to do or specialize in?
They are made by a mining company In Taswell Va to work in the mines. Versatile Tractors,Compact Tractors,Trailer Packages,Landscaping,Utility Vehicle Rentals,Mowers-Power Trac

They have been selling to the general public for a long time now. Power Trac has just about any attachment you can think of for this equipment. Mine is a low hour 96 model with out the quick attach but other than that very similar. One tough little beast.. ;)

/ SnowMageddon
Wow, some serious snow! Thanks for the picts.

No problem ..Yes it was a big one. Hope we don't get any more like that for a while. Finally done digging out.. We got officially four foot of snow. Was going to attach some more pictures but the upload is not working for some reason. Will post some more when it starts to work again.

/ SnowMageddon #10  
No problem ..Yes it was a big one. Hope we don't get any more like that for a while. Finally done digging out.. We got officially four foot of snow. Was going to attach some more pictures but the upload is not working for some reason. Will post some more when it starts to work again.

I feel your pain neighbor. I normally plow with my Polaris Ranger, but just too much snow! I've been using tractor and front end loader all day to dig out. But you're right, roads around here won't be open for a couple more days.