Soil ph

/ Soil ph #1  

tjkubota93

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota bx1860
What is the best best way to test soil pH at home? The little rapitest kit that turns color or the analog meters or the digital meters?

/ Soil ph #2  
Cheapest is the color test kit and should be accurate if done properly.
Take multiple samples, mix with pure BOTTLED WATER and let sit for time required.
I tested my garden this spring and it was in the middle range where it was supposed to be.
I use to same type of test to check my Hot Tub water but I have test strips and a color chart for that.

/ Soil ph #3  
What is the best best way to test soil pH at home? The little rapitest kit that turns color or the analog meters or the digital meters?

How much land are you talking about?

/ Soil ph
How much land are you talking about?
Well, for now I have 1/4 ac in question (just sowed bermuda). But would like to test different areas of yard and flower beds at different times.

/ Soil ph #5  
I agree with Stimw. I have asked some knowledgeable national gardeners/soil experts, and their first choice is to use the local Extension service. Second choice is the color test kit.

/ Soil ph #6  
Last year I was looking for a ph tester. I searched the internet and read a number of reviews of the testers and kits. It appears none were reliable, at least I could not find one that had positive reviews. I have been using the testing lab at Texas A&M. The basic analysis (ph, N, P, K...) is $10 and a micro-nutrient analysis adds $7.

/ Soil ph
Last year I was looking for a ph tester. I searched the internet and read a number of reviews of the testers and kits. It appears none were reliable, at least I could not find one that had positive reviews. I have been using the testing lab at Texas A&M. The basic analysis (ph, N, P, K...) is $10 and a micro-nutrient analysis adds $7.
I found the same, reviews are all over the place.

/ Soil ph #8  
I bought and used one of the analog meters this year. The reviews I read on it said it was good as long as it was used as the directions were printed which I did. Both of the samples I tested showed the PH where I wanted to see it and the fertility in the lower side of the good range. I think at some point I will test a sample with it and have the same soil tested by a lab or the extension service to compare results.

/ Soil ph #9  
Well, for now I have 1/4 ac in question (just sowed bermuda). But would like to test different areas of yard and flower beds at different times.

Your best bet, and most accurate, would be to send a sample to your state ag service. It will tell you exactly what is needed in terms of pH and nutrients. Might cost 5 or 10 bucks, but well worth it in the results you get when you apply the proper chems. Here's the site for TN:

Soil Testing Offered by UT Extension - Tennessee Home and Farm

/ Soil ph
I bought and used one of the analog meters this year. The reviews I read on it said it was good as long as it was used as the directions were printed which I did. Both of the samples I tested showed the PH where I wanted to see it and the fertility in the lower side of the good range. I think at some point I will test a sample with it and have the same soil tested by a lab or the extension service to compare results.
Which one did you buy? I might get one AND send in to UT just for an experiment.