Solar Eclipse...

/ Solar Eclipse... #1  

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
We just happen to be in that narrow swath where it will be a total solar eclipse and I hope that people heed the warnings about wearing the special (free) eclipse glasses so they don't burn their retina's.

Just because the sun will be totally blocked off for a short time, the sun's corona will still be visible and the light from the corona can and will damage your retina.

Note that gas welding goggles nor welding helmet's don't provide sufficient protection either.

You must have special glasses to view it or use a pin hole viewer and never look directly at it.

With our luck it will be cloudy and we won't see it anyawy.

It's a narrow swath across the United States where it will be a total eclipse and we are smack dab in that swath.

/ Solar Eclipse... #2  
Don't miss it! If you're in the path of totality, you'll want to use proper glasses or a viewer to watch the shadow of the moon slowly cover, and then uncover the sun. This takes over an hour on both ends of the eclipse and this is what the special glasses are for.

BUT . . . when it goes TOTAL, you can take the glasses off and watch without protection. In fact, you can use binoculars, etc. to view the sun's corona for the short duration of the total eclipse. Looks like the duration for us is going to be right at 3 minutes. Of course that varies depending on where you are within the path of totality.

This is why people travel the world to see these. Remember Carly Simon's song, "You're So Vain" -- there was a reference in there . . . TOTAL eclipse is nothing like the partial eclipses that happen without notice. This is the ONLY time that you can view the sun's corona from Earth.

There are simulators online that will show you what it looks like. We travelled down to SW KY in 2017 to some relatives place to see our first total eclipse. Amazing phenomenon of nature! The traffic afterward from the millions of people that had flooded into the area to see the eclipse was incredible.

If you're anywhere close, don't miss it.

/ Solar Eclipse... #3  
Let's just hope it's not cloudy!!! The eclipse will happen regardless. The only thing that can get in our way is clouds!!!

/ Solar Eclipse...
Again, my word of caution is use proper viewing glasses and they are free for the asking.

Retinal damage is almost always permanent. With our luck here, it will be overcast anyway.

I do a ton of welding in MIG and TIG and I'm always cognizant of arc flash however, a welding helmet or a pair of gas welding goggles won't provide proper protection.

Looks like the swath of total eclipse is quite narrow and passes directly over us here.

/ Solar Eclipse... #5  
Let's just hope it's not cloudy!!! The eclipse will happen regardless. The only thing that can get in our way is clouds!!!

I'm traveling to be in the path of totality, and looking forward to the spectacle!

/ Solar Eclipse... #6  
It's a shadow. Who the F cares.
We're going to be right under it.
All the motels have been booked for ages.
I hope it's cloudy that day.
It's going to be the third biggest disappointment here after the newly wed wife's husband and the Niagara Falls.:ROFLMAO:

/ Solar Eclipse...
I'm traveling to be in the path of totality, and looking forward to the spectacle!
We don't have to. I can stay at home and be 'right in the thick of things' I imagine all the local motels are booked as well.

Last big thing that happened here was an earthquake many years ago and I still remember that. Was in the summer and all of a sudden all the birds quit tweeting and it got real still and then the shaking came. I guess birds have some built in sense that humans don't have. I still remember the low rumbling even today.

I did impact my well however and not in a good way either.

/ Solar Eclipse... #8  
The neat thing about a pin hole viewer is it still works even with clouds. ;)

/ Solar Eclipse... #9  
It's a shadow. Who the F cares.
We're going to be right under it.
All the motels have been booked for ages.
I hope it's cloudy that day.
It's going to be the third biggest disappointment here after the newly wed wife's husband and the Niagara Falls.:ROFLMAO:
A lot of hospitality businesses up here are hoping it will partially make up for the crappy winter. However, there is a good possibility you will get your wish.

I remember a public service ad which ran, leading up to an eclipse back in nineteen sixty something. It was the same message as what the OP said above. A girl came on, telling of the importance of using proper eye protection. She had lost most of her eyesight watching a previous event, and only had about 10% left.

Funny how I can remember that vividly, yet left the house in a snowstorm this AM and didn't think to grab my coat.

/ Solar Eclipse...
Mossy is real close to the total eclipse swath as well. Like I said, we are smack dab in it.