Solar Hot water

/ Solar Hot water #1  

tandttravis

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B-26
I know this is for tractor projects, but I used the tractor to lift the solar panels up to the roof! This will provide my family of 4 ; 80% of our domestic hot water. This was a really fun and rewarding project, I had help from a plumber friend, but did most of it myself. So 4 weekends and about $3500 later, I'm up and running!

Attachments

• 100_1880.jpg
    100_1880.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 584
  • 100_1885.jpg
    100_1885.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 462
  • 100_1887.jpg
    100_1887.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 513
   / Solar Hot water #2  
Did you piece the items together or did it come as a kit? I'd like to do something similar but need info.

/ Solar Hot water
I pieced together this assembly, but you can find the same items sold in kits, check out Callefi's web site

/ Solar Hot water #5  
That plumbing makes my head hurt a bit! Can you explain some of it? I get the pump and the loop that goes to the solar panel, and the pex tubing to the mainfold that looks like it supplies the house. And that is about it. I see an expansion tank, and a dead line, and a line with just a gauge on it. And then another loop that goes to the right with a pump. And what looks like a boiler on the right. I want to learn more!

/ Solar Hot water #7  
Looks very professional.
My only question..... Is the uni-strut that the pipe is clamped to made of steel or fiberglass? If it is steel, you may want to wrap your pipe at the clamp location to keep the copper from oxidizing and creating a leak.

Joe

/ Solar Hot water
sorry to reply so late, I haven't checked this post in a while :( It provides hot water even in cloudy weather, but not enough for an entire family, but on sunny days (even when cold) it produces 100% of our hot water . as for piping, it is a closed loop system, with propylene glycol as a heat transfer medium, as I live in a cold climate, and straight water will freeze. the system includes a circulation pump, expansion tank, air seperator, flow check valve,pres & temp gauges, it is controlled by a temperature differential controller, which switches the pump on when the temperature in the solar collectors exceeds the temperature of the storage tank by 8 degrees, and switches it off vice-versa. as for the unistrut , it is not fiberglass, but epoxy coated as to isolate the copper and prevent electrolysis.

/ Solar Hot water
well about 5 months of solar hot water later, and pleased to say
that my natural gas bills are averaging $7 per month! it is still a long payback period, but very gratifying!!