solar powered well pump backup

/ solar powered well pump backup #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi i have a deep well pump, I was wondering if there was a solar powered kit, that had the panel, (i would supply the battery), and other electronics that would let me run my well in an emergency.
I was looking at hand pumps and they will start around 1k without the pipe.
Looked at well buckets too, (the pvc tubes that you lower), but would like something that I could use that would let me use my current system.
Does anyone have a system like this, how do you like it?
If you dont have a system like that what parts would I need to make one.
(I would have an electrician friend hook everything up.)

/ solar powered well pump backup #2  
Hi i have a deep well pump, I was wondering if there was a solar powered kit, that had the panel, (i would supply the battery), and other electronics that would let me run my well in an emergency.
I was looking at hand pumps and they will start around 1k without the pipe.
Looked at well buckets too, (the pvc tubes that you lower), but would like something that I could use that would let me use my current system.
Does anyone have a system like this, how do you like it?
If you dont have a system like that what parts would I need to make one.
(I would have an electrician friend hook everything up.)

The inverter required to run a well pump will require a bunch of solar panels. Figure at least a 3000w 230v to run a 3/4hp well pump.

Any reason to not consider a generator? It will be much cheaper and easier to set up.

/ solar powered well pump backup
I am Just looking for something that would not have to run all the time, and did not use gas.
Just looking over our emergency prep plan and want to make sure we have the potable water taken care of.
I was just thinking of some way to run the pump for a bit, then recharge the batteries.

/ solar powered well pump backup #4  
the best and overtime cheapest solution that we use alot here in Idaho is to install a 150-500 gal underground holding tank (or bigger if wanted) and then you only have to run a 1/4HP motor to feed from that storage tank into your system with a bypass valve. Our wells are 700 - 1000 feet deep, and to provide enough off grid power to run them is an expensive proposition. a gen set will run the deep well pump when needed to fill the reserve tank for extended power outages.

/ solar powered well pump backup #5  
the best and overtime cheapest solution that we use alot here in Idaho is to install a 150-500 gal underground holding tank (or bigger if wanted) and then you only have to run a 1/4HP motor to feed from that storage tank into your system with a bypass valve. Our wells are 700 - 1000 feet deep, and to provide enough off grid power to run them is an expensive proposition. a gen set will run the deep well pump when needed to fill the reserve tank for extended power outages.

The cistern is this is one of the best alternatives
An ac/dc well pump (grunfus is what I have ) will be in the neighbor hood of $1,000 you would have to pull your pump and put it in to replace your present pump

I have the grunfus pump to a cistern and a rv 12v pump to pump to my cabin because of the low volume my well puts out.
I pump it 2 times a day till flow stops then I stop the pump to save the battery's.
I am completely off grid.
I use rain water (when we actually get rain) to flush the toilet if not I haul it from a local creek in a tank back to the cabin.

tom

Inverter is most likely out of the equation because of the inrush on standard pumps

Thank you very much, I will look into a cistern, we do have an area where we can put one in.
Apprecaite the info.

/ solar powered well pump backup #7  
The problem with solar pumps is that they are designed for flow and not pressure for filling cows troughs etc.

The best bet would be to go with a Grundfos SQ Flex, which can use grid power, solar, or wind. It is also an expensive set-up. By the time you are done installing the pump, panels, and grid tie-in my guess is that you will be over $5,000.

Much cheaper to get a good 3500 KW Genset (or bigger depending on pump) and make a plug in for your well pump. You don't have to run the gen-set all the time, only when you need to fill your storage tank. The bigger the storage tank, the more water you can drawdown before having to start it back up.