SOLENOID for 1988 John Deere 106 Lawn Tractor

/ SOLENOID for 1988 John Deere 106 Lawn Tractor #1  

scaredychicken

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 160 (1988), Arctic Cat 400 ATV (2006), Kubota BX23S (2018), Jacobsen Super Chief 1450 (1969), Cub Cadet RZT S50 zero turn mower (2012)
I'm going to replace the (starter) solenoid on my little green machine. It has been acting up and unreliable for about two years, and a friend confirmed the issue.
The lawn tractor is currently stored under cover by the chicken coop, and I haven't really had a good look yet, or removed the problem solenoid.
I went to a parts store, to buy the new part. There were TWO completely different parts that came up on the computer regarding a solenoid for my lawn tractor.
I believe that I need the round cylinder solenoid, rather than the other one. (see photos as examples)
Is there anyone with more specific information or experiece, that can point me in the right direction ?

option A
1623402999940.png
option B
1623403929348.png

/ SOLENOID for 1988 John Deere 106 Lawn Tractor #2  
Ah, I don't know, what does the old one look like ?

Richard

/ SOLENOID for 1988 John Deere 106 Lawn Tractor #3  
Here is a video on youtube showing replacing a solenoid on a JD mower. This may help you.

/ SOLENOID for 1988 John Deere 106 Lawn Tractor #4  
You don't really care which one. All a solenoid does is connect a high current load using a low current load. An auto parts store will have solenoids. Hook it up and cut your grass,

/ SOLENOID for 1988 John Deere 106 Lawn Tractor #5  
Well, the round cylinder one is the type that is piggy backed to the starter. You may or may not have a solenoid problem...

/ SOLENOID for 1988 John Deere 106 Lawn Tractor
Well, the round cylinder one is the type that is piggy backed to the starter. You may or may not have a solenoid problem...
oh
could be - it's been awhile since it was looked at, but that was our best guess for why it was so hit / miss

/ SOLENOID for 1988 John Deere 106 Lawn Tractor #7  
Cleaning terminals can get you a long way. Plus there were cold start relay kits added to quite a few of these for voltage drop issues.

/ SOLENOID for 1988 John Deere 106 Lawn Tractor
MY apologies - I just realized my typo in the title line ( I have no idea how to edit / correct that line)

I have a JD 160, not a 106

the concept / application is probably unchanged though.

thank you

/ SOLENOID for 1988 John Deere 106 Lawn Tractor #9  
A 160 would have the round solenoid mounted on the starter, if you’re getting intermittent starting with just clicks a lot of the time google “

HD Switch Starter Relay Kit Replaces John Deere AM107421 - OEM Upgrade - w/Water Tight Connector Upgrade”​

Almost always clears this long happening problem, Deere get about $70 for this simple kit, you can get one on Amazon for about $25, or even make it yourself

/ SOLENOID for 1988 John Deere 106 Lawn Tractor #10  
A 160 would have the round solenoid mounted on the starter, if you’re getting intermittent starting with just clicks a lot of the time google “

HD Switch Starter Relay Kit Replaces John Deere AM107421 - OEM Upgrade - w/Water Tight Connector Upgrade”​

Almost always clears this long happening problem, Deere get about $70 for this simple kit, you can get one on Amazon for about $25, or even make it yourself
A U-Tube video clearly shows a JD 160 with a not round solenoid, and not mounted on the starter.
Are all JD 160's not the same?