Solenoid motor control valve

/ Solenoid motor control valve #1  

m7040

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MF 203 industrial, ZD331, RTV 1100 , Kubota Minix excavator, Unimog 404
Talked to the dealer about where to hook up the hydraulic winch and he showed me where there is a short hose that continues from the FEL valve back to the three point valve on the right lower side of the tractor. He recommended to take this hose off and install the new spool valve in that loop with two new hoses that can handle the full flow ( 1/2 inch ) and then run hoses out to the winch from there.
So next i want to locate an electric operated spool valve that can handle the flow of the tractor in the open position ( about 11 gpm ) and be adjustable via relief valve to 1500 psi as this is what Milemarker recommends. That way I can plug in with a cable to run it at a safe distance from the winch.
Now I looked at the Surplus Center catalog and found a Gresen valve that seems to fit the bill. It is Item 9-1625 (spool valve) on page 14 and Item 9-1625R which is the adjustable relief valve section. Anyone done this before and will this work?

/ Solenoid motor control valve #2  
I believe that you need a valve that is "Power Beyond" if you splice into that location.I'm not familiar with that model tractor, but generally any hose that feeds both FEL and 3PT hitch is constant pressure and must be plumbed as such.

/ Solenoid motor control valve #3  
A power beyond (high pressure carry over) solenoid valve is preferable, but I don't think it is necessary. Aren't the solenoid third function valves in the W R Long kits regular four-way valves without power beyond? I think so and they seem to work well according to the reports on this site.

The Gresen valve you mention has a cylinder spool (work ports blocked in neutral). Is that what Mile Marker recommends for their winch? Or do they recommend the Gresen 9-4705 (same page) with the motor spool? It may depend on whether the winch has a separate drum brake or depends on blocked motor circuits to hold the drum when no power is applied.

In either case, the relief valve you mentioned appears to be in the main pressure circuit. If that is true, then the pressure in the work circuits beyond the winch valve will be limited to the setting of the relief valve for the winch. I suspect your three point hitch can use 2000-2250 psi and that the master relief valve at the pump is set at that pressure, so a 1500 psi relief valve will substantially reduce the lifting capacity. Can you avoid that problem by installing an in-line relief valve in the pressure (ie, wind in) circuit between the winch valve and the winch. That way the relief valve will be isolated from the main pressure circuit except when the winch is being wound in. You would need a separate line from the relief valve outlet to tank, but I think you can tee into the low pressure (wind out) line between the winch and the winch valve as long as you don't use any downstream valves (the three point hitch) at the same time as the winch (because would create backpressure in the winch outlet circuit that would affect the relief valve operation).

I am anxious to hear about your results and see some more pictures, because I have a 10 year old Mile Marker winch still in the box ( I never got around to installing it in my 77 Bronco) that I want to put on a Kubota L4330 as soon as you work out the best way to do it.

Good luck.