SOLVED- 2010 Ck20S missfires smoke

/ SOLVED- 2010 Ck20S missfires smoke #1  

Goat's Garage

Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Hey guys, been doing some diagnositc on my 2010 CK20S and im at a loss.
Background: started tractor let it idle for 15 minutes, used FEL for half an hour cleaning snow and was putting it away and pitch of engine changed and immediately started to smoke. took it to the shop and started diagnostic. Pulled all 3 injectors and checked for visible damage. none.

Reinstalled injectors in same holes and ran again. cracked injector lines one at a time listening for change. injectors 1 or 2 open makes it change pitch but smoke continues. letting injector 3 bleed stops smoke almost instantly. cracking the line will make it not build enough pressure to inject (pop) into that cylinder if im not mistaken. reseal injector 3 and has a miss and smokes. injector right? wrong. swap injector 2 and 3 out same exact symptoms still on cylinder 3.

reading online seems like the earlier CK20's had issue with the fuel rack and the fact the gears would break teeth off jamming the rack in the closed position. while this isnt my problem the fact that there was issues with these racks previously i decide to pull mine and inspect. remove, disassemble rack and everything looks perfect. full range of motion, no broken teeth. confirm all plungers move freely and reinstall. same issues.

so its cylinder 3 (furthest back). pull injector, blow air into cylinder 3 and check intake/exhaust for bleeding air. seems like maybe air is coming out exhaust. pull head off, has to be burnt valve right? would cause smoke and miss fire. wrong. valves look great, little bit of carbon build up. clean carbon off exhaust valve cylinder 3 and test by pouring diesel fuel on top of valve with head upside down and no bleed by. reinstalled head thinking maybe it was carbon holding valve up. wrong. still smokes with injector 3 connected and still has a miss.

now what?

if cylinders 1-2 are running 100% is it possible that injector 3 is off time with the rest of them? found the manual for a CK22 online (can't find one for CK20S if someone has they'd like to share i would greatly appreciate) and can't find anything to point me in the right direction.

any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
   / SOLVED- 2010 Ck20S missfires smoke #2  
We need some history, like hours etc. Colour/smell of exhaust smoke. Has the valve lash ever been checked? LUK

/ SOLVED- 2010 Ck20S missfires smoke #3  
Hey guys, been doing some diagnositc on my 2010 CK20S and im at a loss.
Background: started tractor let it idle for 15 minutes, used FEL for half an hour cleaning snow and was putting it away and pitch of engine changed and immediately started to smoke. took it to the shop and started diagnostic. Pulled all 3 injectors and checked for visible damage. none.

Reinstalled injectors in same holes and ran again. cracked injector lines one at a time listening for change. injectors 1 or 2 open makes it change pitch but smoke continues. letting injector 3 bleed stops smoke almost instantly. cracking the line will make it not build enough pressure to inject (pop) into that cylinder if im not mistaken. reseal injector 3 and has a miss and smokes. injector right? wrong. swap injector 2 and 3 out same exact symptoms still on cylinder 3.

reading online seems like the earlier CK20's had issue with the fuel rack and the fact the gears would break teeth off jamming the rack in the closed position. while this isnt my problem the fact that there was issues with these racks previously i decide to pull mine and inspect. remove, disassemble rack and everything looks perfect. full range of motion, no broken teeth. confirm all plungers move freely and reinstall. same issues.

so its cylinder 3 (furthest back). pull injector, blow air into cylinder 3 and check intake/exhaust for bleeding air. seems like maybe air is coming out exhaust. pull head off, has to be burnt valve right? would cause smoke and miss fire. wrong. valves look great, little bit of carbon build up. clean carbon off exhaust valve cylinder 3 and test by pouring diesel fuel on top of valve with head upside down and no bleed by. reinstalled head thinking maybe it was carbon holding valve up. wrong. still smokes with injector 3 connected and still has a miss.

now what?

if cylinders 1-2 are running 100% is it possible that injector 3 is off time with the rest of them? found the manual for a CK22 online (can't find one for CK20S if someone has they'd like to share i would greatly appreciate) and can't find anything to point me in the right direction.

any help is appreciated.
Start the tractor and test the hydraulics under load. Make sure you load the hydraulic system enough to know if you are building proper pressure...like lift the front of the tractor with the bucket dump function / normal steering response. If the hydraulics are weak, remove the Injection Pump and inspect the fuel camshaft. A sheared fuel camshaft will give performance issues similar to what you have described.

Hope this helps

/ SOLVED- 2010 Ck20S missfires smoke
We need some history, like hours etc. Colour/smell of exhaust smoke. Has the valve lash ever been checked? LUK
850 hours, smoke is blue/grey ish but only when injector 3 is firing. when i bleed the pressure from cylinder 3 smoke stops. Valve lash was checked and adjusted at 800 and confirmed good now.

Start the tractor and test the hydraulics under load. Make sure you load the hydraulic system enough to know if you are building proper pressure...like lift the front of the tractor with the bucket dump function / normal steering response. If the hydraulics are weak, remove the Injection Pump and inspect the fuel camshaft. A sheared fuel camshaft will give performance issues similar to what you have described.

Hope this helps
FEL is off the tractor right now to give access to the engine. i was using the tractor and loader for an hour before this happened so i have no concerns with the hydraulic system. i've now had the injection pump off 3 times and the fuel camshaft looks good.

/ SOLVED- 2010 Ck20S missfires smoke #6  
I’m not sure of your mechanical abilities but if u would like an experienced set of eyes on it, I would be happy to lend a set..
Send me the pump AND injectors..
u can contact me by sending me a prvt msg..

Hey thepumpguysc I do appreciate the offer. I do need to get this thing going sooner than later however I think I’m going to bite the bullet and put a $1200 injection pump in it. Waiting on a m8 adapter for my compression tester to verify that cylinder is good and if it turns out to be then the dealer says they can have a new pump in about a week.

Wanted to give a conclusion for anyone that may have a similar issue. Ended up being the fuel crankshaft was sheared clean off between the 2nd and 3rd lobes. There was enough friction on it to continue to spin the 3rd lobe but it was way out of time. Almost invisible to see even with the high pressure injection pump removed. Local heavy diesel mechanic ended up diagnosing and repairing it for me. Had to remove the entire front part of the motor and he actually had to unbolt the front motor mounts and lift the engine to remove the timing cover. I’ve searched around and am aware of the injection issues the older ck20 had but don’t see to many issues with these camshafts. Also talked to local dealer and they hadn’t replaced any either. Hopefully it was built on a Friday and just a bad casting but I’m not sure I’ll ever know for sure. Hydraulic pump was free and is working great and it’s got a brand new injection pump so I ruled that out as well.

Attachments

• A14EFFD2-CFE0-437D-A6FA-26B8B39D4F19.jpeg
    A14EFFD2-CFE0-437D-A6FA-26B8B39D4F19.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 92
  • 6446C953-8691-4790-A292-508D8590896A.jpeg
    6446C953-8691-4790-A292-508D8590896A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 88
   / SOLVED- 2010 Ck20S missfires smoke #9  
I’ve seen THAT once and on a separate occasion the key sheared..only 1x each in 35 years..