Some advice needed

/ Some advice needed #1  

Mudslugger

Tractor
None, looking
I had what I thought was a fairly simple request, pricing on a bundle that includes:

JD 32 or 38 HP model with HST and loader w/ tooth bar
5' Box scraper
5' Rotary cutter
Boom pole
16' or 18' utility trailer with capacity to move it

Similar to this generic "sale":

I don't want to spend a whole Saturday in a dealership so I've requested quotes. One week later 4 out of 4 dealerships can't seem to quote this. Including the local dealer for the link site.

Maybe I should just go spend the day at a dealer? I'm a former tractor owner and really just trying to cut out the BS. I may even have it delivered.

Just wanting some perspective.

Thanks

/ Some advice needed #2  
It's easy to procrastinate on an online query which may only be from a "looky loo" in the first place. Put your wish list together then drop by a dealer. This shows some intent on your part and gives you both some "face time". You can leave the list with the dealer and have him call when he gets a price. You could also try mailing your list to several dealers. Mail shows more serious intent. The internet may do the same thing but I don't think it's perceived in the same way by the dealer. It's not a personal contact.

/ Some advice needed #3  
Buying anything is sure a lot different now than even ten or twenty years ago.
I think I agree with most everythng that Roadworthy is saying in the post above, and maybe can add something.

Put yourself in the shoes of the dealership/salesman and think about the message you are sending when your first contact with his organization is about price.

You aren't asking about his product, or his dealership, how he runs his repair shop, or what his employees are like. From your initial post, it doesn't sound like you have had any personal contact at all.

The dealer you requested a quote from may be old-fashioned enough to think that those things are as important as price or maybe even more so. I know I think along those lines....maybe he does too.

I wouldn't let it discourage me without finding out why your request for a quote wasn't answered. The answer might surprise all of us.
rScotty

Last edited:
   / Some advice needed #4  
I've also run into situations where the advertised mailbox is not monitored and they may not know you sent it. I'd show up in person which shows a serious intent, then get an email from the sales person and go from there.

/ Some advice needed
Thank you. I plan to write it all out in detail and drop it by the three fairly local dealers along with a couple of ways to contact me.

Good advice across the board. The internet has made things more challenging since anyone can send an email about anything.

Especially with car dealers but applies here as well, there's a general lack of appreciation for people working 50-60 hours a week who finally get a day off not wanting to spend it in a chair for 3 hours at a dealer. To be fair there are probably a lot more shoppers than buyers on any given day so I guess it makes sense.

Thanks again

/ Some advice needed #6  
They could all be low on inventory. I've read that steel prices are way up and availability is low depending on your region of the country. Best to pay a brief visit to each for a quick introduction and look-around at inventory.

Good luck!

/ Some advice needed #7  
If inventory is low, or what you are looking for not in stock, in person inquiries will take preference.

/ Some advice needed #8  
Buying anything is sure a lot different now than even ten or twenty years ago.
I think I agree with most everythng that Roadworthy is saying in the post above, and maybe can add something.

Put yourself in the shoes of the dealership/salesman and think about the message you are sending when your first contact with his organization is about price.

You aren't asking about his product, or his dealership, how he runs his repair shop, or what his employees are like. From your initial post, it doesn't sound like you have had any personal contact at all.

The dealer you requested a quote from may be old-fashioned enough to think that those things are as important as price or maybe even more so. I know I think along those lines....maybe he does too.

I wouldn't let it discourage me without finding out why your request for a quote wasn't answered. The answer might surprise all of us.
rScotty

This is good advice. I know some dealers who would not have the “online quote” option but are forced to have it by the manufacturer.

They don’t pay any attention to it and devote no resources to it at all.

MoKelly

/ Some advice needed #9  
I think tractors are one of the few items in industry where online sales don't get much attention, there are exceptions like Barrlows but most of them wont even return calls let alone emails unless you've been physically to the dealer and a sales guy has your name.

/ Some advice needed #10  
Sort of sad the tractor dealerships act like that. It takes no more than 15mins to respond to a request for quotes. I don't know why they do that. When I was shopping for tractors 4 years ago, i was so busy at work, putting in 60 hours each week on the job, that i did my research on my tractor needs at night, and then emailed two John Deere and two Kubota dealers for pricing on a 40Hp tractor + Backhoe + Implements. None responded.

I called to talk to the sales staff, they even refused to talk business over the phone. I eventually visited a local JD dealer in town and they laughed to my face, saying "we know you sent out quotes, because the other John Deere dealer is also owned by us". Well can you believe, that even in person, I could not get immediate quotes, they wanted me to come back and make an appointment.

Driving home, i saw a very small tractor dealership selling orange Kioti tractors. I stopped and 40 mins later I had my first quotes on a CK4010SE, backhoe and Kioti implements, and spent 5 minutes of sitting in an actual tractor with engine on. This dealership was 90% income from mainly Diamond C trailer sales and service and 10% Kioti tractors.

Got home, did hours of research on Kioti tractors, and was so pleasantly surprised to read all the positives on the brand, that I changed to a Cab model and commited to the full purchase, including a 20' Diamond C Ranger Medium duty trailer. I got that tractor package delivered just 2 months before retiring. Never been back to that Kioti dealer for service or warranty work of any kind, as my Kioti tractor has been extremely reliable.

Later, I did go to one of the Kubota dealers last year at start of the pandemic. Bought a GR2120 lawn tractor, and was also a most positive experience. I mentioned my treatment from them a few years earlier about requesting quotes by email. The Manager apologized and said that was the first policy he changed when he became the new Manager.

Last edited: