Some Days…

/ Some Days…
I had just ordered new gas hood struts because the hood would no longer stay up except in very hot weather.

With the worn out hood support struts it was just resting but not latched…

Dad would say of all the dumbbell things to do… just be glad no got hurt.

I saw a hood fly up years ago in the same stretch and it folded up over the roof and took out the windshield as in breaking it… that car pulled to far right and scraped the guardrail…

Maybe I can try a little straightening and cover with mat black 3M racing stripe over the corners?

First order is to get the bent hinges into alignment…

My 57 Ford hood was hinged at the front… so wind would have only pushed the hood down…

Last edited:
   / Some Days… #13  
I was 2 out 3 vehicles behind one that not only had the hood pop up but went flying off over the bank without hitting anyone fortunately. LOL, the driver of that vehicle just kept on driving.

/ Some Days… #14  
I was 2 out 3 vehicles behind one that not only had the hood pop up but went flying off over the bank without hitting anyone fortunately. LOL, the driver of that vehicle just kept on driving.
Wouldn't you? I probably would!

/ Some Days… #16  
Yesterday was my planned catch up on vehicle maintenance day that started with a bang when opening the garage door and one extension spring let go… no big deal, just needed a detour to Home Depot and $31 later all good.

Number one on my to do list was brake pads and shoes for the 1987 Samurai that I’m always using to tow my box trailer.

Front Pads no problems but it turns out rear drums bind so tight that I found Internet Posts of people braking the drums to remove.

Fortunately I have a puller set I just needed to get…

Seldom drive the Range Rover to keep it nice and had it on a charger earlier. I drove off not realizing the hood was not latched and it flew up on the way to get the puller… let’s just say the pristine Rover isn’t anymore.

This was not slow motion… in less than the blink of an eye the hood popped up blocking all my forward vision.

I know I’m lucky in so many ways out on a busy highway and all…

Some Days…
Don't feel bad. I did similar on our 93 Suburban. Fortunately, it happened two blocks from our house and I just drove home in reverse. 🙃

The spring hinge turned inside out. It took a while for me to pry it back to forward so I could close the hood. Once I got it flipped back to normal, I slammed the hood shut and jumped up and down on it to "straighten" the crease. :ROFLMAO: Then back off to my busy day. Drove it like that for years afterwards. Nobody ever noticed the small crease, as their gaze was usually directed to the gaping rust holes in the fenders. ;)

/ Some Days… #18  
I drove off not realizing the hood was not latched and it flew up on the way to get the puller… let’s just say the pristine Rover isn’t anymore.
I had a happier ending a while back when I'd pulled the hood release lever on my Dakota instead of the e-brake release. Fortunately, the secondary latch held.

/ Some Days… #19  
Yesterday was my planned catch up on vehicle maintenance day that started with a bang when opening the garage door and one extension spring let go… no big deal, just needed a detour to Home Depot and $31 later all good.

Some Days…
That is one advantage to having overhead doors with dual extension springs. When one breaks, the other still maintains some tension on the door.

Not so when a jamb mounted torsion spring breaks. My 10'x10' door spring let loose last year and the door crashed down with so much force, it buckled the bottom door section and shattered the glass! Luckily, my wife wasn't directly underneath! It sure scared the heck out of her though!

Had to replace the spring AND the door.