Some things about new Yanmars that could REALLY be better designed.

/ Some things about new Yanmars that could REALLY be better designed. #11  
I'm not very happy with the way my seat rotates on my 424. Not very smooth or precise.

/ Some things about new Yanmars that could REALLY be better designed. #12  
The owners manual was obviously translated into english and some of the phrasing takes a bit of work to decipher. A little proofreading by someone who speaks english as their first language would help.

/ Some things about new Yanmars that could REALLY be better designed.
Well, I'm on my 5th one now. My dime at this point. I ordered 3 the last time one broke, and I just put the last one on yesterday. Amazing. 14 years I owned a 33hp New Holland, and this never happened one time.....using the exact same implements.......and now been thru 5 of the cheap things on this 3 year old tractor.

What I HAVE figured out is when you back up with something, like the bush hog on it, and it hits something solid, THIS link is what gives. It bends first (usually), the breaks later. The metal is some kind of cheap cast, and simply will not take any kind of bump. I'm going looking at links on New Holland tractors next, and see if I can find one close enough to fit the Yanmar, then buy a set of them......otherwise, I could see dozens of these piece of crap things in my future.

OK....while I'm in RANT mode....

Anybody had their back link "tighteners" (for lack of the proper term) bend or break ? The linkage between the lower lift arms and the axle that has multiple holes with a pin you drop in to tighten up the lower arms so your implement on the back doesn't sway left-right.

When I first got the tractor, I broke BOTH of them. Dealer replaced under warranty, though he had a dickens of a time even getting a set.....finally had to call down to Georgia and I think they took a set off the assembly line to send him.

Well, the other day, I bent another one. And by the looks of the metal (seems to be some sort of fairly soft, cast stuff...not forged for sure), if I try to straighten it, it will simply break too. This seems to happen when I've got my skidding winch on....and when I pull a log even slightly sideways, the stress causes the bend (then the break). Pretty sure it's only the winch....but in 14 years of using the same winch on my 1925 New Holland, I NEVER had this issue.

So I'm wondering if the metal they are making these out of is simply CRAP. Seems like a fairly stout hunk of metal, but it sure doesn't hold up.

Guess I'll be redesigning and building a decent set of linkage in the near future as well.....

Right side, still as it should be:

ry%3D400

Left side, with about a 45 degree bend in it:

ry%3D400

/ Some things about new Yanmars that could REALLY be better designed. #14  
To me that looks like a very poor substitute for the heavy turnbuckles as used on my little Ford which have never failed in 32 years and 4500 hrs of operation. I have pushed (backward) huge mounds of gravel, 28' boat, 35' travel trailer among other extremely heavy loads. The attachment rings on the axle housings look pretty flimsy too, IMO.

Guarantee ya you won't be pushing anything backwards with these puppies.

The design is very similar to what I had on my former NH 1925, but I think the difference is these are a cheap, cast metal, and the ones on the NH must have been forged steel.

/ Some things about new Yanmars that could REALLY be better designed. #16  
On my third one in under 250 hours. I adjust it so it won't be exposed to bending but when any one else in family hooks up I later find bent. Looking for a solution. But the tractors performance has been impressive. It has a tough power train and handles so well. The stabilizers appear to be made for a smaller tractor.

/ Some things about new Yanmars that could REALLY be better designed. #17  
Question about the bent/breaking stabilizers.

Assuming the size of stabilizer is the same physical size as the ones that don't bend . . . When you compare weight of the stabilizer . . is it the same approximate weight as units that don't bend?

If it is the same weight then the casting is too brittle. If it is a different weight . . . then the casting is too aerated.

My question would be . . if its the same size . . why not get a replacement from Massey or Kubota ?

My question would be . . if its the same size . . why not get a replacement from Massey or Kubota ?

They are similar to the ones I had on my previous NH, but I don't know if the ends are the same.....that would be the issue in whether you could simply swap to a different brand.

For what it's worth, I called my dealer and said "give a name/number of somebody at Yanmar.....I want something done about this". So they did, and I called that fellow, then got passed up to his boss. After I explained the problem, he called back in a little while, and said "OK...we're gonna send you two sets of a different type....one that uses a turnbuckel instead of the holes/pins deal....try that and see how it works."

So, right now, I'm waiting on them. I'll post pics of them, and results of using them later.

/ Some things about new Yanmars that could REALLY be better designed. #19  
They are similar to the ones I had on my previous NH, but I don't know if the ends are the same.....that would be the issue in whether you could simply swap to a different brand.

For what it's worth, I called my dealer and said "give a name/number of somebody at Yanmar.....I want something done about this". So they did, and I called that fellow, then got passed up to his boss. After I explained the problem, he called back in a little while, and said "OK...we're gonna send you two sets of a different type....one that uses a turnbuckel instead of the holes/pins deal....try that and see how it works."

So, right now, I'm waiting on them. I'll post pics of them, and results of using them later.

Good luck :)

But just in case . . Here's another thought. I forget which model Yanmar you are using that gets the bent stabilizers on the 3pt. But it strikes me I never heard of the sc2400 or the sx2900 or sx3200 having this problem. Maybe a stabilizer from one of those would be more resilient. Its just not a solution to have a stack of spares sitting around waiting for their demise lol.

/ Some things about new Yanmars that could REALLY be better designed. #20  
Using a SC or SX or EX stabilizer on an LX will not work......completely different machines with completely different specs.

TnAndy - please keep us posted as to what you receive from Yanmar and once you've battle tested it.

I as well have bent a stabilizer, but thought it was my fault from backing a heavy bush hog into a tree.....:(. I thought the same thing, for such a HD tractor they should have went to solid steel on the arms....unless they're designing in a "shear pin" if you will to prevent damage to the transmission....