Somebody "Splain" North/South Carolina Interstate?

/ Somebody "Splain" North/South Carolina Interstate? #1  

gwstang

Platinum Member
Tractor
1952 Ford 8N / Kubota L2501
I'm in North Carolina right now and passed through South Carolina earlier today. Why does NC/SC have a speed of 60-65 MPH on the Interstate? I live in Alabama and drive to Georgia and it is 70MPH unless in a city type area. WTH??? It's one of the stupider things that I have ever seen. Doesn't make sense at all to me. Also SC has the worst part of the Interstate roads that I have seen. I have always thought Alabama was at the bottom for things like this...boy was I wrong. The interstate roads in Alabama are like glass compared to SC.

NC has good Interstate roads...but, who left SC out of the loop on this issue? Beautiful states and the red head and myself enjoy the scenery/people. One of those things that I wonder about. Somebody "Splain" this one to me please? :confused2:

/ Somebody "Splain" North/South Carolina Interstate? #2  
Wondering what stretch of interstate you drove. I live in SC. Just drove over 200 miles on I 85. It varies between 55 to 70, depending on conditions. I have never noticed that our limits were any different than other states.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ Somebody "Splain" North/South Carolina Interstate? #4  
I know some places in all states are better than others and then there are the rough, cobbie ones. I saw a report saying that due to lack of finances - the entire transportation system is in a state decline & disrepair. There are a lot of reason for slower speeds on certain roads - overall, slower speeds tend to be less damaging.

WA is trying to implement an increase in gas taxes. A lot of the time any tax increase gets diverted and is used for political pet projects.

Another problem is our system of awarding a project to the low bidder.

As an astronaut once said - " it gives me a real warm, fuzzy feeling to know this rocket was built by the low bidder".

/ Somebody "Splain" North/South Carolina Interstate?
We were on I85 Most of the way. There was one stretch in SC that had been recently paved and it was up to 70 mph for maybe 25 miles then back to 65. I like 70, then I can go 75 and not get stopped. Haven't had a ticket in 30 years or so....65 cramps my style :ashamed: Of course the traffic was still flowing about 72 mph or so even when it was 65. :rolleyes:

On a side note, the red head was doing the "Navigating" and her phone had a notice there was a wreck on the interstate up ahead and to take a side road to bypass this. Well, she said to turn here and I turned. It was a small two lane rural road and got smaller and smaller until after about 20 miles it turned into a frigging dirt/gravel road. I mean old fashioned gravel road. Well, three other vehicles did the same. You talk about clouds of dust and rocks flying. I swear I started hearing Banjo's! Shades of the movie "Deliverance"!!!! :eek:

The gravel road went on for about 6 miles and turned back into a two lane small paved road and eventually led back to the Interstate. Thanks the Lord! :D Now my white truck sits in the Hilton hotel parking lot looking like it was in "Deliverance"! :laughing: I'll get it washed tomorrow...maybe

/ Somebody "Splain" North/South Carolina Interstate? #6  
   / Somebody "Splain" North/South Carolina Interstate? #7  
Quick your complaining!
I grew up in Vermont. State speed limit for non-interstate 50mph.

/ Somebody "Splain" North/South Carolina Interstate? #9  
We were on I85 Most of the way. There was one stretch in SC that had been recently paved and it was up to 70 mph for maybe 25 miles then back to 65.

The 70 MPH stretch was around Spartanburg.

What's your hurry? You could have stopped at the Beacon for some tea.:)

Steve

/ Somebody "Splain" North/South Carolina Interstate?
The 70 MPH stretch was around Spartanburg.

What's your hurry? You could have stopped at the Beacon for some tea.:)

Steve

SWMBO was in a red hot to get to the hotel. We are here to visit the youngest son. You know how these mother hens are when a chick has left the nest. Haven't seen him in 6 months. I'm going to head over the Agrisupply that's only about 20 min. away. Never been to one of these.