SOMETHING TO PONDER

/ SOMETHING TO PONDER #1  

frank_f15

Super Member, Rest in Peace
Tractor
kubota b2400- R4 tires
SOMETHING TO PONDER

had to go pick up my bride today, (been visiting her folks) it is 100 miles each way, as i was going to get her on the interstate(ny, thruway) i could not help but notice a lot of state vehicles, dump trucks, pickup trucks, tankers, backoes, gradalls and such. SO ON THE WAY BACK i started counting all state vechiles, be they working parked or even in staging yards and on appox 88 miles i counted 89 peices of equiptment. now mind you this was on one 88 mile section of 1 road, can you imagine the no. of peices on ALL the roads in this Great country? the $$$$ amt. must be astronomical. JUST the ramblings of an old retired guy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif but think about it!

/ SOMETHING TO PONDER #2  
Re: SOMETHING TO PONDER

Think of it as your tax dollars at work or at rest. Either way, it is a lot of tax dollars going to waste. I have often said that if government had to operate like a business it would be bankrupt in less than a year. Just think of it this way... Would you spend millions of your own money to get elected to a job that pays $150,000 a year? Politicians do this all the time and many times it doesn't even amount to half that salary. Must be the perks that go along with the job. One of which is getting your friends and family state jobs. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Something else to ponder..... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ SOMETHING TO PONDER #3  

Junkman,
The trick is to use everyone elses money but your own /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ SOMETHING TO PONDER #4  

I will remember that when I run for public office in my next life. I hope to come back as a crook. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ SOMETHING TO PONDER #5  

The State's do spend money foolishly. Part of it is if they don't spend it then next year they won't have it. So they keep adding things to keep their budgets up. Each Dept is that way. I wish there was a different system.

murph

/ SOMETHING TO PONDER #6  

<font color="blue">Part of it is if they don't spend it then next year they won't have it. </font>
Very true. I remember several years ago when I was teaching at a Vo-tech school, the school had a lot of funds left over from a summer project. Their way of assuring that they would get the equal amount or more funds the next year was to purchase about 50 loads of crush gravel. The problem with that was that they just had it dumped in a big pile on the back 40. Our government at it's best. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ SOMETHING TO PONDER #7  

Hey, it may be true there is wasteful government spending, but where else would you want to be? It is a flawed system, but at least we are free to complain about it. Besides, instead of focusing on the wastes, think of the accomplishments that have been made through public works projects (roads, interstates, dams and levee systems to produce power and control flooding, etc.) As a nation we have accomplished great things through use of our flawed system; I hate to see the waste too, but if not for all that equipment and operators sitting idly, who would maintain the roads? A system of contractors is possible, but as we look at insourcing vs. outsourcing, would that really be more cost effective after a year or two and those rackets get set up? Again, I agree with you but I like to think that the glass is half full.

/ SOMETHING TO PONDER #8  

Junkman,
I am employed in local government. Our Division went to a "Special Revenue Fund" in January 2001. This is our 3rd year of running things like a business. Sure takes some getting used to /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But, we are surviving. Our biggest problem is keeping the City Auditor from dipping into our revenue when he needs a few bucks. They allowed us to operate under this fund, but never made mention that if we had profits they would take it.
But none the less, we are doing good. We constantly have to watch our labor, supplies, vehicles etc just like any other business, the books have to balance. We have needed new vehicles for 2 years, but for now, we'll just keep spending a bit to repair them. Soon they'll figure out the cost to maintain them is more than they're worth. We were supossed to get at least 16 trucks this year in May. Now we hear 4 trucks in October. Who knows?

/ SOMETHING TO PONDER #9  

I hear that the industial desingers in Japan have invented a new shovel that will save us millions each year in dollars for maintaining our road system.

The shovel leans on its self.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ SOMETHING TO PONDER #10  

Shovels ! I am not sure that road maintenance crews around here know what one is /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif They will use a backhoe to pick up a beer can /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Power tools break more often than hand powered tools, so more down time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif