Something's eating my birds

/ Something's eating my birds #61  
Fencing coyotes out is hard. I have seen them quickly climb chain link fence with no trouble. We have electric fence, and you certainly do hear them complain when they hit it, though I did not design the fence to keep them out. When we redo the electric fence, I will move it to three strands, six inches, twelve inches and 36 inches. The pigs seem to be smarter about finding places where the electric fence height is off.

We also use a separate electric netting around our orchard that seems to hold off the pigs, coyotes, raccoons, possums, and skunks. It is a Premier1 netting and it has held up well and seems to teach the invaders to avoid it. It even seems to work against ground squirrels.

All the best,

Peter

/ Something's eating my birds #62  
Sorry for your loss. We thought about some chickens but then we caught this fox on video wandering around the property. Also, we have a large possum that looks like it is well fed that would go after them and the eggs. And we have coyotes and hogs in the woods behind us. I have only seen one coyote during the day, but we hear them almost every night. We can't keep a barn cat for more than 6 months between the coyotes and the hogs. Decided it wasn't worth the risk to entice them closer to the horses.

1706040480009.png

1706040823816.png

/ Something's eating my birds #63  
Maybe we have been lucky but 6' high woven wire fencing has kept coyotes out of the chicken yard. We added a chicken wire skirt along the bottom and out on the ground because foxes kept digging under the fencing. And added fencing overhead to keep bobcats out. They went in over an electric wire.