Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living

/ Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living #61  
Doesn't irritate me at all. I actually have a couple of cousins who are married up in age who don't have kids and posts about their pets as "their children" on facebook and that does irritate me as they aren't children and I keep my mouth shut LOL

It also irritates me when a vet tech calls me "daddy" when at the vets and I responded to one in a not so nice fashion that I didn't screw a dog to get this animal.

Fact is, dog or a cat is an animal, not a human being IMO.

That said, if I assume the responsibility to take in a animal as a "pet", I will still treat that pet like a part of the family in that it's my responsibility to care for that animal and provide it medical treatment when necessary.

How many people let their "pets" run free, not even thinking about spaying or neutering their pets and contribute to the amount of unwanted "domesticated pets" in the United States? One of my oldest dogs is a blue tick hound my one son found with my father on our property while practicing to hit golf balls. Reality is he most likely wouldn't survive even in one of our winters in NC at his age now. However, he became my responsibility when we decided to "bring him in" years ago. Sorry, it makes no sense to me to take in a pet and either let it roam free without any supervision if not in a fenced in area or give it some shelter from the elements.

I could raise animals for slaughter for food but don't. If I did, I would still try my best to raise them humanely as possible and then give thanks for their life so that we could eat.

Hopefully you understand my view point a little better.
Well stated.

My Vet says "If you are going to have a pet, take care of your pet". He even applies that to ending that pet's life if necessary.

I have two dogs. One was dumped here at the farm when it was a pup. The second is a hound that my Grandson got when he was a child. As an adult he's a traveling Welder. One day he mentioned concern about what to do with Gracie. I said bring her to the farm. She's been with us 4 years. Willard is 13. Gracie is 15. As I type this they are laying on their beds on the heated floor in the shop watching me. Water bowl is full. Food bowl is full. They have their own door to come and go as they please. No collars. No leash. I take my Vet's advice seriously. :cool:

/ Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living #62  
I use the quarter machine "do it yourself" car wash as it's WAY cheaper than way. You just got to do it yourself
It used to be that way around here. Now, it takes a bag full of quarters to even get the thing to start. I wash my truck at home when I get around to it.

/ Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living
My Vet says "If you are going to have a pet, take care of your pet". He even applies that to ending that pet's life if necessary.
The irony is that is far easier to end your pets life far more humanly than a human being you love and is suffering a good amount of pain, laying in a hospital bed whose life is going to end.

I was blessed with my own father this year as the doctor had no qualms pumping my dad full of Morphine to the point where it stopped his breathing and he (dad) only lasted 2-1/2 days in the hospital. Some people aren't so lucky with their loved ones.

Sorry, WAY off topic, but since I'm the OP, I don't care 🤣

It used to be that way around here. Now, it takes a bag full of quarters to even gen the thing to start. I wash my truck at home when I get around to it.
Still 6 quarters to get it going. As mentioned, I was going to try it this morning to see exactly how much extra time for every quarter (I'm thinking 45 seconds, but not exactly certain) but the self serve station was closed this morning in town.

Learned as a kid not to use your dads pressure sprayer to surprise your dad without checking the water nozzle first and wash his car 😁

/ Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living #65  
The irony is that is far easier to end your pets life far more humanly than a human being you love and is suffering a good amount of pain, laying in a hospital bed whose life is going to end.

I was blessed with my own father this year as the doctor had no qualms pumping my dad full of Morphine to the point where it stopped his breathing and he (dad) only lasted 2-1/2 days in the hospital. Some people aren't so lucky with their loved ones.

Sorry, WAY off topic, but since I'm the OP, I don't care 🤣
I absolutely believe in "Right to Die".

/ Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living #66  
Still 6 quarters to get it going. As mentioned, I was going to try it this morning to see exactly how much extra time for every quarter (I'm thinking 45 seconds, but not exactly certain) but the self serve station was closed this morning in town.

Learned as a kid not to use your dads pressure sprayer to surprise your dad without checking the water nozzle first and wash his car 😁
Varies between 6-8 quarters to get it started here. Ours are 30 seconds per quarter.

/ Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living #67  
speaking of Southerners getting confused....
spent most of my life in PA, but also 7 years in coastal NC and 3 years in North Miami. Lived on a boat in FL.
Had to watch the temps in NC, got cold enough at times to drain the hoses.

do frost free hose bibs really work? Is that just a vacuum release of some sorts that lets the water drain more fully?
would changing a basic spigot valve accomplish anything if the water is right on the other side?
I'm clearly not a plumber...

spent enough years as volunteer fireman to know how to drain a hose...but have lost of bunch of hose nozzles by forgetting to take them off.
Boy do they crack in a heartbeat. This year I remembered...two nozzles in basement.

had to chuckle, went through car wash yesterday thinking of this thread. Extra wax please, I think it lubes the car better and less scratching.
14 bucks. 7 bucks for economy no frills. But that includes drying off, which is where all the benefit is. So my normal car wash during the winter is 14 plus 2.

those two guys at the end drying cars looked pretty tired and it was only noon.
All that road salt means job security for them.
had to be careful pulling out on street when done, below freezing still and water on the street, those wet tire tracks. wet or ice?... wet.

/ Sometimes people in the south forget where they're living #69  
thanks
that appears to be a vacuum breaker on top but am curious if it require a down angle from house plumbing?
other end has to go into pex.

speaking of leaving things out to freeze, my second outdoor outlet is merely an extension of the one and only on outside of this cottage.
I run it two inches under mulch around to back side of house. Freezes up every winter.
Thought about what might hold up.
Craftsman 3/4 solid black rubber hose, heavy as can be, so far has lasted two winters without issue. But I do drain the ends well. But it's buried under the gardens and
I just leave it in. I'm figuring five years with the freeze/thaw cycle here. Everything moves around.

unless temps are below mid twenties for a while, usually not a problem.

Sigarms, I've watched all my older family and my wife die of cancer. Slowly.
you and I are on the same page. I've already had cancer, and so far beat it.
but if it comes back, I'm thinking of the Out Islands in the Bahamas for a final cruise.
With a suitcase of pills. The last couple of weeks are just awful on everyone.

I want to check out on a high and on my terms. Realistically, that isn't likely.

but if it comes back, I'm thinking of the Out Islands in the Bahamas for a final cruise.
With a suitcase of pills. The last couple of weeks are just awful on everyone.

I want to check out on a high and on my terms. Realistically, that isn't likely.
Apologies for the morbid topic, but depending on what you want done with your remains, along with any loved ones who may be living in the US, I'd try to ensure you're on US soil when you finally get life figured out. Not certain about the Bahama's, but I still can't help and think it would be a royal PITA getting your remains back, particularly if you go out on your own terms.

No words for your wife other than despise it for anyone to lose a loving spouse.