Son's new career path, pretty proud father

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
Well, at age 19, he's finally out of the home!!

In all honesty, pretty proud of him as well as all the young people in the pic below.

M.png

He's done well for himself, started working at age 15, saves and buys what he wants with his own money. Honestly, don't think he's ever asked a buck from me growing up once he had a job. He does have my fathers and I work eithic.

MEP's and the enlistment "process" really seems to have changed from the 80's. Until his ship date (yesterday) he had to keep his recruiter informed if he got married or had any children (a LOT of checking in).

Although I'm proud of him, I'm just as proud as my father. My father lived with us the last 4 years of his life. He and my son were two peas in a pod together when dad was living with us.

When we drove our son down to Charlotte Sunday night, my wife was getting on him because he was taking a small "carry on" bag instead of a small back pack he has used for hiking in the past. She told him that small back pack would work a lot better in a airport than that small bag he was taking. My wife informed me that it hit her that night that the bag our son was taking was the bag that my father had given him.

Needless to say, it's my fathers footsteps that my son wants to follow, not mine, but just as proud.

I had to burry my dad last year, never got to see his grave site as the cemetary was putting him on top of my mother. My one uncle died this year and I went to his funeral in part because he was being burried in the same cemetary as my father and I could visit my parents gravesite.

Below, the man who influenced my son so much telling him stories of the world he saw when he was a younger man during his lifelong committment to the military (removed his name as I don't like posting family info online, I'm old like that).

Both my wife and I agreed that my father was smiling down from Heaven.

M15.png

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #2  
That’s terrific. We need to reemphasize patriotism and service to the country. It has been lost in many ways. Hope it goes well for him.

My nephew is in Electronics Warfare in the Navy

Last edited:
   / Son's new career path, pretty proud father #4  
Good story. Happy for your son.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #6  
Nice post, sig.

Our dads had similar lives. A chance they may have crossed paths in the USAF. Same age. Mine was in Korea and Viet Nam, too.

Thank your son for his service. Recruitment is down, perhaps that will help his future opportunities!

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #7  
Congrats Sig, that’s awesome.

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father
What is going to be his specialty (MOS)?
This is where it gets weird. At this point, he has his "picks" per what he qualifies for, but apparently nothing is written in stone as to exactly what he gets, and exactly where he goes per MOS will in part be determined how he does in basic and schooling (or so I've been told).

It seems the Air Force is nothing like the the Army from the 80's. Air Force doesn't use the term "MOS'.

My advice to him was to give 130% during basic, that this was his job and to give it everything he has if he truly wants this to be his career. After that, the chips fall into place per his performance.

Given his work history and how he moved up in the "ranks" at work when he was 15 through 19 years old in age, I'm pretty certain he will do OK.

He's had 3 jobs to prepare himself. Some jobs he had horrendous managers who lacked common sense and some he had great managers that motivated him. Although the military is a different animal vs civilian world, in the end, people are no different in jobs in the Miltary vs the civilian world for the most part.

Each job he had he moved up in position per responsibilities, and he never quit. Always gave two weeks notice and worked when he was moving to another job.

He also read some of my fathers records from the early 50's and how my dad moved up in the ranks because he gave 130% and people liked working with him (for the most part, my son doesn't know this, but at the end of my dads career he got busted in rank because he didn't care if he did what he thought was right LOL)

Even today at my own job today, we have people who text the operations manager to inform him they quit that same day, no notice, no nothing. How do you expect to build a list of references like that?

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father
Top pic taken in 2011 on our way back from a Vermont trip and saw my dad in Pa on the way back to NC in 2011.

Bottom pic taken in 2019 when my dad was living with us and dad driving him to work because he (my son) was still working on his learners permit at the time.

M17.png

/ Son's new career path, pretty proud father #10  
It was great you were able to take that family trip and have that time together...

My understanding is ROTC operates in a much reduced capacity with some schools no longer participating around here.

Several of our Doctors have kids that enlisted and did well plus we have nurses that were able to become licensed RNs through military service.

The SF Bay Area is so different compared to Washington State where the military presence is huge.

Congratulations