Soon to be BX1800 Owner

/ Soon to be BX1800 Owner #1  

surfran

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1800
Well I've been reading the posts here for about 3 weeks now and gotta say I am getting hooked. Feels like a bunch of guys out in the garage standing around the "New Toy" gruntin, drinkin beers and enjoying the stories. So here goes my story..............Well February 15/16th we had a nice bit of snow here in NY. Went out on the afternoon of the 16th to fire up the ole trusty Cub 1811 to push the 12" off the driveway. Pulled her out of the shed and she wouldn't push hardly anything. Tinkered, cussed, and all the rest..... and to make a long story short ended up with a blown cylinder. Of course that day all I new for sure is it was only firing on one cylinder. I didnt' figure out it was blown until after a couple of days later when I borrowed a compression tester from a friend. BUT, I had to finish the plowing that day as I sure wasn't going to shovel!!!!

So that is when my journey began. In the course of the next couple of weeks searching for used/new and everything in between, I came across TBN. I have been researching and reading posts for the past few weeks and finally decided to join in the fun. I decided to go new and compact diesel if I was going to spend the money..........besides the wife was backing me with the low interest rates, and heck when you get her on your side you can't back down!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Well as I am already long winded I will try and summarize, I looked at JD2210, NHTC18/21 and Kubota BX1800/2200. I went to local dealers, and called/emailed out of state dealers. Finally decided last Sunday that I would buy the BX1800 w/FEL, 60MMM, Rear Ballast, Grass Catcher, 4-way loader valve (in case I add the blade or blower later), and engine block heater.

Now I am sitting here waiting for arrival........most likely next week : /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Soon to be BX1800 Owner #2  
Welcome to the forum!Congratulations on the new bx!
The last snow was decision time for me too. I bought my bx after beating my old Power King up for 2 days trying to move 2+ft. of snow. Sometimes it just makes sense to go the route.
My experience so far w/the bx machines is not great, but my initial impression is WOW. This little thing will do some work. I stacked a cord of wood Sunday and was carrying it around until I suddenly realized that I should get the bx and push the pile up closer. The old power king would have just spun its tires trying to push a 1/2 cord of wood around. The bx didn't slide, grunt, or protest. Moved it up by the stack slicker than a dream. It takes some getting used to the idea that you have more than a big lawn mower at your disposal. I'm just finding out and its a good feeling.
Its going to be worth the wait. Good luck with the new beast /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif!
DaveL

/ Soon to be BX1800 Owner
DaveL,

Thanks for the welcome. I am really excited to get the new machine. Probably would have had this week if it wasn't for the insurance requirements to finance with Kubota.

Turns out that my Allstate Homeowners would cover most problems, but not collision and upset. So I have had to find another insurance carrier. I ended up with Erie & Niagra for a "all risks" policy that is costing me $75/yr. Waiting now for the paperwork as my agent is out of town, once that is in place, then they can finalize the financing paperwork and ship my tractor.

I never thought that insurance would be such a pain, but actually am glad I had to dig into it further. I will be trailering the unit between home and lake property and found out that it wouldn't be covered unless I had this other policy. That could be bad thing if I ever wrecked........hopefully never find out.

Well at least the manuals were sent with the paperwork, so I am able to read up on the unit and the attachments while I wait.

Am looking forward to sharing my stories with the rest of you and of course will share photos when it arrives..............

/ Soon to be BX1800 Owner #4  
Randy, Welcome to TBN. I know that will love the BX. I have had mine for three years and have no complaints. I hope you don't mind, I took down the name of your insurance company. I financed through Kubota, and bought the insurance they offered, but I will be paying the tractor off soon. I also transport the tractor (between my home and my Mother's) and am concerned about any possible damage.
Will

Will,

Thanks for the welcome and no problem on the insurance, I'm glad I can start to contribute already and it was a pain in the neck, so if someone else can benefit from my pain GREAT.

I spent all yesterday afternoon calling insurance agents for coverage (called 9). I searched this sight as well as Tractorpoint to gather information for possibilities. I found that State Farm offered it, but with the agent I spoke, only if I already had a policy with them. So on a whim I called an agent that I have that handles some independant companies including Erie & Niagra. They handle my Erie & Niagra "homeowners" policy for our cottage, but I didn't know they handled tractors. Anyhow, the agent made some calls and called me back with the good news. It is it's own policy and covers "all risks". My homeowners through Allstate would cover fire/theft/vandalism/liability, but not the collision/upset.

I was only looking for the colision/upset when I spoke to the agent, but the Erie & Niagra policy also covers the others with possibly the exception of the liability portion(I think). I will know more tomorrow when the paperwork arrives as my agent is about 50 miles away so it is being sent in the mail.

I thought the cost was reasonable at $75/yr as the Kubota was going to be $595/5yrs. On my agents recommendation, I did try to find a local agent so that I could try and get the insurance yesterday to finish my paperwork (of course to get the tractor as early as possilbe) but one said that it would take them a couple of days and the other said they wouldn't only issue tractor policy I would need other insurance with their agency. So you may have to look around a bit even with them.

Good luck,

/ Soon to be BX1800 Owner #6  
Welcome aboard! I was looking at the same tractor choices as you...I also went orange, but went with the bx2200. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have so far! Keep us all posted when the stork drops her off to ya! Kevin

Will,

Just to complete the insurance information, the policy is an Agriculture:Inland Marine Policy from Erie & Niagra. You schedule the tractor and equipment to be covered. It also has a 10% of policy value for unscheduled items with a max of $500/item unscheduled. The deductible is only $50. Doesn't seem to bad for only $75/yr.

/ Soon to be BX1800 Owner #8  
I hope that you like your BX 1800 as much as I like mine. I've had it for three years now and it certainly exceeded my expectations! Good Luck!

/ Soon to be BX1800 Owner #9  
Hey, congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum. Great place, TBN is...

So I was at my Kubota dealer today looking for a bottom plow (which he didn't carry, somewhat to my surprise - and if I gotta order one I may as well do an internet deal). It was the first time I'd seen the B1800 and it looks like a great little tractor. My dealer was kind of busy so I didn't want to bug hime, but perhaps y'all could give me just a bit of info...

My father in law just bought a couple of acres and wants some kind of tractor. When I told him about what he'd pay for one like my B7300 he nearly flipped (he'd just been looking at Sears garden tractors). But I expect he'll want a bit more than a garden tractor - he's that kind of guy.

So it looked like the BX1800 has a Cat 0 3PH. Cutest little diesel I've ever seen (not that mine is all that big /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Gas version? 4WD? Can it handle a small loader? And what might the approximite price range be?

Just curious...

/ Soon to be BX1800 Owner #10  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( So it looked like the BX1800 has a Cat 0 3PH. Cutest little diesel I've ever seen (not that mine is all that big /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). Gas version? 4WD? Can it handle a small loader? And what might the approximite price range be?
)</font>

It's a cat 1 3PH, 18HP deisel, no gas version, definately 4WD, is available with a 4' loader that is rated at 460 Lbs., and the tractor goes for about $9400 list price with no mower or attachments. MMM runs about $1600 for a 60" and the fel is about $2200. Deals can be had depending upon the location you are in.