Soon to be Tractor-less

/ Soon to be Tractor-less #21  
Maybe this will help with the withdrawal ...

/ Soon to be Tractor-less
So much wrong with that pedal-tractor. I could build one much better! Of course, it would be green...

Yeah, the things we'll miss the most will be the peace, quiet and privacy. Definitely the biggest tradeoff. On the other hand, looking forward to being able to take off any time, for any amount of time to visit any where we want! Kind of a pre-retirement thing.

I'm keeping all of my mechanics tools but have already gotten rid of all my wood working equipment. Just wasn't using it any longer. In addition to garage type work, I'll have some sort of "man-cave" but geared more towards hobby interests on a smaller scale.

Ultimately, for a real retirement, I'd like to ditch the land-based living altogether and live on a sailboat. I have a lot of work to do though, to convince the wife!

/ Soon to be Tractor-less #23  
Good luck to you Rob!

Having hobbies to fill your new found spare time will be important to keeping your sanity and "engaged" in life. We are all wired differently and it is important to find what works for you and your family.

I am in my late sixties and engaged to a younger gal. She will be moving here to the middle of nowhere in a few months, and seems to be looking forward to it. She says she loves the place....we shall see. But she knows going into this I AM NOT MOVING!!!! I may be selfish, wanting my own lifestyle, but I worked decades to get here. It is what I want while I can still handle the work. When the time comes, I will need to leave...know that...just being realistic.

Again, good luck!!!

/ Soon to be Tractor-less #24  
Good luck in your lifestyle change Rob. It will be different, living on a city lot, that is for sure.
I have lived in the country for many decades, and the last couple of years, I dread going into town. Seems like I spend all my time just waiting for people to get out of my way so I can go about my business.

Hope things go well for you in the future, and that you will stick around here and add your 2 cents now and then.

/ Soon to be Tractor-less #25  
Before you leave, tell us how you liked your John Deere 790.

/ Soon to be Tractor-less #26  
Good luck on your change of lifestyle. We are leaving 30 years of this view everyday to our own secluded 12.7 acres with a stream in two-three years.
image.jpg

/ Soon to be Tractor-less #27  
It's been a journey!

My wife and I both grew up on rural property, but not farms. In 1999 we purchased 10 acres and built a home where we have raised our 2 boys. Of course, part of my justification for the property was the need for a tractor!

Much time has passed, oldest son is putting his masters degree to work in Indy and youngest is about ready to return for his junior year at U of M. We've been wanting to downsize for a while now and after 3 years, our house is finally sold! And the buyers want the tractor so we made a deal on it and all the attachments. It's been a blast but there are so many things we want to do and all of the property maintenance just seems to get in the way.

We're scrambling to find a smaller home, on a small lot (likely subdivision), and closer to my work (currently commuting an hour each way). I'll miss the fun parts of tractoring but can't say I'll miss the 5-6 hour mowing sessions. In fact, hoping to be able to pay a local kid to mow our new lawn and not have to mess with it a bit!

It's fascinating how our interests change over time. I'm excited for the future and thankful for all of our experiences to date. And like Bird, I'll stick around here as it's still one of the best communities on the 'net!

Here's one example of what we intend to fill our time with: View attachment 618590

First Coke changes it's formula.... now this!

/ Soon to be Tractor-less #28  
Hopefully the OP's transition will be smoother than your example. ;) (Although I've long held that "New Coke" wasn't as much of a boondoggle as believed. They never did go back to the old recipe,... and I haven't had a Coke since.)

I know, right?!? Still not far, if I ever need a tractor fix, I'll give you a call. We'll be in Goshen!

Before you leave, tell us how you liked your John Deere 790.

Funny you mention that. I was just thinking the other day, that tractor has been the most reliable piece of equipment I've ever owned! Had a fuse blow early in it's life which threw me for a loop but other than that, it's been nothing but regular oil and filter changes. I think it's over 600 hours now, mostly mowing grass and moving snow. I scored the backhoe a couple of years after I bought the tractor and it's just a blast. Hasn't seen a lot of use recently but nothing beats it for stirring up the compost pile! #overkill