Source for 3000 PSI 1/2 O.D. (that's O.D.) hydraulic lines ?

/ Source for 3000 PSI 1/2 O.D. (that's O.D.) hydraulic lines ? #1  

exohomestead

Bronze Member
Tractor
MH CG2310, White GT205, Cessna 140
My GC2310 sprung a leak on the bucket down hydraulic line on the left side. This is right where the rubber goes into the metal shroud of the connector, so I'm not sure why it popped a leak, but it was dripping badly as I parked the tractor. Also, I've been nursing a weeping leak that seems to be coming through the rubber wall of the bucket un-curl line where it rounds the top of the backhoe frame.

So.. time for some new hoses. I'd like to stay with the narrower 1/2" Outside Diameter lines on the tractor. Especially the bucket needs them for flexibility and routing through little metal passages. I don't have manuals for the FEL and the BH, so I don't know for sure what kind of connectors to ask for, and what normally spec'd Inside Diameter to ask for.

Can anybody who'se done the hose replacements give me a pointer? Also, is there an on-line source that you've had success with?

Thanks!

/ Source for 3000 PSI 1/2 O.D. (that's O.D.) hydraulic lines ? #2  
I just pulled my broken hoses --two so far, IIRC-- and took them to a hydraulic shop. They matched the connectors and made the new hose up right there. I'm sure you've got a shop somewhere near you that can do that.

As far as sizes, both my replacements were more heavy-duty than the originals, which I was happy about. Not sure about fitting them into tight spots, however; the new ones are definitely thicker.

/ Source for 3000 PSI 1/2 O.D. (that's O.D.) hydraulic lines ? #3  
If you can identify the thread style of the ends, Surplus Center is easy.1/4" x 12" 1/4 NPTM x 1/4 NPTM SAE 1R17 Hydraulic Hose Assembly 3 PSI | Hydraulic Hose Assemblies | Hydraulic Hose and Hose Assemblies | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com
It looks like you only need a single wire for 3000 PSI, a double wire or "braid" is what I've found to be widely used at auto parts shops that make hose, but around here most NAPA's and independent parts stores make hoses. The best way is like Irvingj said above, remove the line and flop it on the counter at a hose place, telling them you only want a single braid or wire line due to space restrictions.

/ Source for 3000 PSI 1/2 O.D. (that's O.D.) hydraulic lines ? #4  
I just pulled my broken hoses --two so far, IIRC-- and took them to a hydraulic shop. They matched the connectors and made the new hose up right there. I'm sure you've got a shop somewhere near you that can do that.

As far as sizes, both my replacements were more heavy-duty than the originals, which I was happy about. Not sure about fitting them into tight spots, however; the new ones are definitely thicker.

Irvingj has the right idea. Unless there is some hard reason that you cannot do it, take the machine to a shop that routinely works with and makes hydraulic lines. Around here almost any tractor dealer fits that definition as do truck repair and other shops. One of the biggest factors is that the silly hydraulics industry evolved over the years with no standardization at all. There must be 30 or 40 different sorts of connectors and fittings when there only needs to be about 5 or 6. For that reason alone you are better off to have a shop deal with it,make the hoses to fit (which is generally not all that expensive) and just do the whole job.

I do not know of anyone who specs their hoses on outside diameters. Essentially all are spec'd on inside diameter and then vary on outside diameter depending on the number of layers of braid, pressure specs, etc.

/ Source for 3000 PSI 1/2 O.D. (that's O.D.) hydraulic lines ?
If you can identify the thread style of the ends, Surplus Center is easy.1/4" x 12" 1/4 NPTM x 1/4 NPTM SAE 1��R17 Hydraulic Hose Assembly 3��� PSI | Hydraulic Hose Assemblies | Hydraulic Hose and Hose Assemblies | Hydraulics | www.surpluscenter.com
It looks like you only need a single wire for 3000 PSI, a double wire or "braid" is what I've found to be widely used at auto parts shops that make hose, but around here most NAPA's and independent parts stores make hoses. The best way is like Irvingj said above, remove the line and flop it on the counter at a hose place, telling them you only want a single braid or wire line due to space restrictions.

Rustyiron, good lead to surpluscenter.com! Their hoses seem to have NPT male threads, so I'll see if they have adapters. Apparently they don't do custom hoses. Their stock 12" is $4.85 before adapters and S&H. The "down bucket" line on the left side needs a JIC female on one end and a male ORB on the other end. It's 13.5" long, so maybe their 12" stock items plus an adapter on each end will be perfect :) The 100R17 hose seems to be right because the 1/4" ID is spec'd at 0.50" OD and 2" bend radius.

Discounthydraulichose.com costs $29.37 to get it to my door. I'll have to make some phone calls tomorrow and visit a car parts store on the way home from work.

/ Source for 3000 PSI 1/2 O.D. (that's O.D.) hydraulic lines ? #6  
I've ordered from them with JIC fittings but your best bet is to have a "shop" make it up with yours laying next to it. Adapters should be avoided if possible, just another possible leak point.

/ Source for 3000 PSI 1/2 O.D. (that's O.D.) hydraulic lines ? #7  
   / Source for 3000 PSI 1/2 O.D. (that's O.D.) hydraulic lines ?
joecdeere,

Did you take notes of the connectors on both ends of the "bucket uncurl" hose of your backhoe? I think it's a 138" hose from memory. Is that one you've replaced? If I have Discount Hydraulic Hose make one, is the length measured from end of metal fitting to end of metal fitting?

~ Exo

/ Source for 3000 PSI 1/2 O.D. (that's O.D.) hydraulic lines ? #9  
You should get a custom hose made up at your local shop. If that is not possible, I'd use discount hose , they've made up hoses for me that have really odd connectors that the local shops don't carry.