Source for Truck Frame

/ Source for Truck Frame #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
I'm a bit of an insaniac about my 1 ton dumptruck. When I bought it, I knew that the frame could be in better shape, but I thought I'd worry about it when something came up.

As some of you know, I found a crack in the frame at the front passenger side crossmember from a previous accident. It was plated, but the plate is now cracked. If the rest of the frame was prestine, I'd repair it properly.

Buts its pretty crusty. In all, its not frightening, but there is a lot of rust at the spring hangers. Since nearly everthing in this truck is a replacement anyway, and I'm addicted to these trucks, I'm thinking frame replacement. If I had a frame, a few weeks to gather parts, and a week off this summer, I could have her back together in better shape than ever.

The truck is a 1987 GMC 1 ton cab and chassis, diesel, AT, 4x4 with 137" wheelbase.

Wrecking yards here don't have anything. And they don't want to refer to anyone else. Online resources don't seem to have "Frame" as an option.

So I'm hoping theTBN Community could help point me in the direct of a place to actually get a frame. Ideally it would be rust free, coming from a southern state. I have no problem taking a road trip with a trailer to pick one up, however I'd rather keep the trip as short as possible, so for now, I'm thinking along the East Coast. If someone has a pristine frame for free in Oregon though, I would be there:)

BTW - GM no longer sells a new frame for these right?

PS - a southern truck that is all worn out may be an even better option. I could use the cab on another truck that I have.

/ Source for Truck Frame #2  
I hate to say it but it may be time to let it go and get something else tougher built. We played around with 1 ton dumps and they just do not last. In my neck of the woods you can buy 600/700 size dumps from the late 70's to early 80's all the time for under $2500. Something like Dargo just bought.

If it were me and I could not get a new frame form GM I would part it out on CL and get something made for this type of work like a F-750. You could get $500 for the rear end, $1000 for the dump bed, $500 for the motor and tranny, and who knows how much for the cab, ect. You will be money ahead and have a truck that will haul 3 times as much that can take the beating a Dump Truck goes through.

Chris

/ Source for Truck Frame #3  
finding a pristine one will be a needle in several haystacks. so many northern east coast ton 4x4's do double duty as plow and sander trucks. with the brine they have used over the last few years, even new trucks are being eaten at a rapid pace, let alone trucks of a vintage that were known to rust well.

i'm known to be willing to tackle most anything, and if i had a donor that was low/no cost, i'd probably be willing, but any ton truck that is structurally roadworthy will always get rebuilt and still commands a fair price, so i'd doubt you'll find a deal. not to mention that a northern truck will likely need all new fuel/brake/etc lines replaced with a swap, since they're likely to be a little crusty too, and not able to be swapped over.

as much as you like the truck, it might be as cheap and easy (not even including time) to search for another cab/chassis and swap the body over then part out the remainder, of just do as chris suggested and part out the entire unit and try to get a different dump truck - ton or otherwise.

/ Source for Truck Frame #4  
1 ton's of that year are always for sale around here i would jump on craigslist
and search around north and south carolina, stay away from the costal areas and mountians (sea salt rust and mountions have more snow road salt) and you should find something pretty quick

/ Source for Truck Frame #5  
Crash, making your own one is out of the question ? If you do that you have the old one as a pattern and freedom to change anything you want. Chassis are typically laid out for all options, so if you look at yours you will see which "fancy" details are not needed.

Alternative is to look for a late model truck that has been totaled (rear ended) in a way that remains fit for your purpose.

/ Source for Truck Frame
Thanks for the replies! To keep everything in persepctive, the 1 ton is a personal "work" truck that I'd like to putter around with, but nothing that I depend on or actually even need. Like my tractor, it is a toy. So anything I do is more or less a waste of money in most peoples eyes. But working on my old trucks keeps me happy and relatively sane.

DP - I actually thought of a bigger truck this weekend, as there is a nice little International Low Pro for sale near my father's place. The nice thing about my truck is that the GVWR is 10,000 lbs. In MA, trucks above 10,000 lbs must be registered and insured commercially, and because I'd be runnning it into New York (interstate), I'd need Apportioned tags as well as all the other hassles. Right now its legal to run it (for personal use) with regular plates.

lostcause- totally agree with you there. There is a handfull of these trucks that were very well taken care of here in New England, and command a handsome price. The rest are far worse than my truck. If all goes wrong, I can actually use the parts on this truck to repair another: an 83 GMC 3/4 ton with a pristine frame! I was contemplating combining the two, but the 3/4 ton frame and 1 ton C&C frame are different. The 1 ton frame is much deeper. For now I'd like to keep them separate, as I have different plans for the 3/4 ton (total restoration).

toddbailey - Thanks for the tip. The Carolinas might be a nice road trip in the spring too!

westcliffe - I've given some thought to building or substantially reinforcing the existing frame. I'm an engineer by trade and enjoy working with steel, but I'd need to have the welding done for me. I can sort of laid a bead, but wouldn't trust it. Maybe its time for me to learn how to weld the right way? :)

My thinking around replacing the frame was this: I could probably dismantle and re-assemble this truck as fast as I could to dis-assemeble it and repair the bad section while making other needed repairs. As components come out, they would be refreshed (transmission and transfer case to the transmission shop, radiator, springs, etc), and then each component installed on the new frame. I guess it would be a speedy, not-so-clean, frame off restoration.

Agian thanks for the replies, and keep the ideas coming!

/ Source for Truck Frame #8  
Try searching on OWNSTER.com - A Free Multi-City, Multi-Site Vehicle Classifieds Search Tool. Find, Click & Buy Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles and more . In the upper left corner, under the search box, click the high lighted text "search for parts". This site will search all of craigslist nationwide, ebay, and many local publications. Also try googling insurance auto auctions or IAA. This site will allow you to break down insurance salvage vehicles by make, model, and year. This is a nationwide insurance salvage auction site, and the public can bid on many of the items.

/ Source for Truck Frame #9  
Crash, I'm with you on restoring that 1 ton..Those are very useful as personal trucks..I have friends with them, and I always wanted one....Just big enough for around the property work..kinda like a BX...it'll take a while, but who cares?

I almost bought a '68 Chevy one ton dump....That would have been cool. Was in very restorable shape too. Just didn't have the garage space to store it.

Love the look of the 80's 1 ton dumps too...The parts are out there, just requires some patience.

/ Source for Truck Frame
Thanks for the links guys! I'll check them out when I'm at home tonight.

I changed my avatar to the truck. Gotta get focused on it :)

The truck was well used, and the former replaced a bunch of things on a shoestring budget. My goals this year are to restore it to a very servicable shape, and then work on little cosmetic things as I see fit.

It runs nice, but a bit underpowered with the 6.2L N/A diesel. I'm going to do a bunch of typical maintenance stuff while I have the front clip off. Glow plugs, fuel pump, fuel hoses (feed & return), all coolant hoses, a new heater core, cleaned radiator, spring bushings, shocks, brake hoses (brakes were recently done), ect.

Tim - your right, they are nice looking trucks. I've always loved these trucks and have owned at least one since I was 16 yrs old. I bought the 83 in 1991 from my father as my first vehicle, and still have it. :) At one time I had 4 of them, but this is my first one ton of my own. This is the third 6.2L diesel however.