Spark Plug Access?

/ Spark Plug Access? #1  

bullmastiff

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 135
1974 Massey Ferguson 135, 3 cyl Perkins gas. A few days ago in the rain I need to put out some hay, but my tractor wouldn't start. I replaced the points and condenser as well as the coil a few months ago. Both are sparking. However, the plug wires are ancient and chewed up by mice, so I figure I should replace those along with the plugs. I see the location of the spark plugs on page 40 of my operator's manual (I couldn't see them by looking at my tractor). I can't figure out how to get to the plugs to replace them and the wires. Do I have to remove the gas tank? If so, what's involved in doing that?

Last edited:
   / Spark Plug Access? #2  
I am not familiar with your specific tractor but have see worse steps to take to get to spark plugs. Hopefully someone on here has worked on your model of tractor.

/ Spark Plug Access? #3  
The way I see it you will need a stepladder setup on the exhaust side. Open your hood and feel for the rubber boot. Pull it off and use a socket to loosen and install new plugs. That's the way I would do it. OR you could remove the side plate bolts and loosen the two front securing bolts slightly that hold the front sheet metal and hinge the entire front sheetmetal and access the plugs. You can disconnect the lights if you have some and six bolts holds the entire front sheet metal assembly. Me, I'd just got over the top with a stepladder.

perkinsgas.jpg
I photo of a removed perkins engine to see where the plugs are.

/ Spark Plug Access?
Thanks for the suggestion and photo. I think mine is different than yours. Mine has the same arrangement as the photo below which is taken from page 40 of my operator's manual.
spark_plugs.jpg
There is a flat metal piece above the exhaust manifold--heat shield I'm guessing. It's super cramped and I can't see how to get to the plugs and wires. I thought maybe someone out there has dealt with this before and would know what the best method of access is.

The way I see it you will need a stepladder setup on the exhaust side. Open your hood and feel for the rubber boot. Pull it off and use a socket to loosen and install new plugs. That's the way I would do it. OR you could remove the side plate bolts and loosen the two front securing bolts slightly that hold the front sheet metal and hinge the entire front sheetmetal and access the plugs. You can disconnect the lights if you have some and six bolts holds the entire front sheet metal assembly. Me, I'd just got over the top with a stepladder.

View attachment 449142

/ Spark Plug Access? #5  

View attachment 449142

That looks like a Perkins diesel. Note the fuel lines and no plugs or wires.

/ Spark Plug Access? #6  
The Perkins both gas and diesel open on opposite sides (hood) if the plugs are behind the side logo you have have to partially remove the sheet metal in one piece and tilt it forward to access the plugs. Never done a Perkins gas. But if the plugs are mounted higher than the Continental then that would be the easiest access. Just a few bolts with the hood shut. The entire front hood, sides and front will tilt forward by removing four bolts (two on each side) and loosening the two in the front.fronthoodremoval.JPG frontoftractorboltpoints.jpg

Mind you one of the pictures is from a 135 Special with a Continintal engine. I would thing the sheet metal mounting points are the same.

/ Spark Plug Access? #7  
The Perkins both gas and diesel open on opposite sides (hood) if the plugs are behind the side logo you have have to partially remove the sheet metal in one piece and tilt it forward to access the plugs. Never done a Perkins gas. But if the plugs are mounted higher than the Continental then that would be the easiest access. Just a few bolts with the hood shut. The entire front hood, sides and front will tilt forward by removing four bolts (two on each side) and loosening the two in the front.View attachment 449424 View attachment 449425

Mind you one of the pictures is from a 135 Special with a Continintal engine. I would thing the sheet metal mounting points are the same.

They all mount the same way.

/ Spark Plug Access? #8  
One more thing I forgot to mention if one decides to remove the sheet metal in one piece. Be sure to unplug your headlights wiring and unbolt the hood prop from the fuel tank before you try if so equipped.

/ Spark Plug Access?
I didn't know that whole sheet metal assembly hinged forward like that. After taking another look at mine, it appears that's what I'll have to do. I wouldn't have figured that out on my own. Thanks. It looks like it'll still be tight maneuvering even if I get that out of the way, but it'll help a lot. The spark plugs are on the "driver's" side where the hood opens up, nestled inconveniently between the gas tank above and the heat shield below.

Thanks, again, also for the tip about disconnecting the headlights and hood prop!

One more thing I forgot to mention if one decides to remove the sheet metal in one piece. Be sure to unplug your headlights wiring and unbolt the hood prop from the fuel tank before you try if so equipped.

/ Spark Plug Access? #10  
That will be a good time to checkout your radiator and hoses real good.