Speedex B/S Rebuild

/ Speedex B/S Rebuild #1  

warburtonplayer

Silver Member
I recently got a Speedex S14 Tractor that was my wifes grandfathers. It is a 1964 Briggs and Stratton engine around 6HP. It had been stiing in a barn for about 10-15 years, I got it home put a battery, new plug, gas line and filter, pulled the flywheel and put new points, condenser and magnito rebuilt the carb and it fired right up! It runs great now but smokes alittle when the rpms are up. I am planning on restoring the whole tractor so should I pull the motor apart and have it bored to .030 or leave it stock? It is a cast motor so it is worth the little bit of money to rebuild. Does anyone have any experience in vintage B/S rebuilds?

/ Speedex B/S Rebuild #2  
What makes you think that it needs to be bored .030 over? Have you pulled the head and measured the bore? Could be that it just needs to be cleaned up with a hone and rerung. Worn intake valve guides will cause smoking also. May just be that the rings are stuck in the pistons. Crankcase breather stopped up?? Too much oil in the crankcase? Lots of things can cause smoke.