Spline align for mower

/ Spline align for mower #1  

tld

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2025r
I am having trouble hooking up my rear mower. The mower drive shaft goes on the PTO spline about 1 inch and then stops. There are what looks to be round ball bearings in the grooves of the mower shaft. This is a JD4110 with BH RD mower. As I remember when I took it off last fall it was tough.
Any ideas?

/ Spline align for mower #2  
From what you describe, it sounds like there is a knurled ring that you turn to allow those "balls" to 'open' so the shaft will slide all the way on (at which time the "balls" drop into the groove around the PTO stub, holding the PTO). The ring is also turned to disengage the "balls" to remove the shaft. If you don't have that ring, then I am probably not much help.

I don't recognize the "BH RD" abbreviations. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Spline align for mower #3  
Sounds like the kind of quick-disconnect you would find on some hose connections. There is probably a collar that you rotate or pull against spring tension to allow the balls to drop into holes to give clearance to slide on the pto shaft. When you release the collar the balls will be forced into the grove on the shaft. While it is off you need to clean, lube and look for burrs and make sure the balls are free to drop in and out of their holes.

/ Spline align for mower #4  
Some have a button you push also.

/ Spline align for mower
Got it. Real easy. Was trying to make it harder than it was. Thanks to all!