Spline lube?

/ Spline lube? #1  

CalG

Tractor
Hurlimann 435, Fordson E27n, Bolens HT-23, Kubota B7200
I'm sure this topic has come up, but... maybe I was unlucky with the search terms.

The mid pto's and FWD spline shafts don't move around much, don't have grease fittings, and don't there fore, get regular lubrication service.

What the best lube? Moly fortified grease has been my go to, but I've recently pulled down the front axle drive on one of my tractors, and the spline couplings look mighty dry! (still in good shape )

Mean while, the engine mounted drive on my neighbor's Kabota B7100 stripped out completely, and that's a tough spline to match (availability)

What's in your grease gun?

/ Spline lube? #2  
On those splines that will barely move, I just use high temp copper grease, mostly because I have quite a bit around. Seems to last a long time. Otherwise, I would probably just use anti seize or something similar.

I too stripped the splines on the U-joint for the front axle on a Kubota B7000. Mostly caused by driving on hard surfaces with 4WD engaged. It was just a short distance in between orchards but still caused damage over time. I changed my behavior after that repair.

By the way, and sorry for the off topic, did you end up finding a front axle housing for the Hurlimann?

/ Spline lube? #3  
Many spline applications do spec moly lube. The thing is you can get real pasty stuff that is thick and hard to get off vs basically like a #2 with some added moly to it. Think like anti seize paste that is hard to get off.

/ Spline lube? #5  
What works for me is spray oil in a can. I had an issue with moly grease in that it hardened up on me. My parts guy said it was because it is a clay based grease and it will harden up in time. So, the spray grease works fine.

In the grease gun, I've now switched to Deere poly grease. Works great and makes the loader feel tight as new. So for the PTO shaft fitting and really all fittings, that's what I use.

/ Spline lube? #6  
Plus 1 on the anti-sieze.

/ Spline lube? #7  
Interesting. I've not seen clay based anything besides Bentonite. That spray Fluid Film is nice stuff. Like it a lot. Anti seize is great, but curses if it gets on anything else.

/ Spline lube?
On those splines that will barely move, I just use high temp copper grease, mostly because I have quite a bit around. Seems to last a long time. Otherwise, I would probably just use anti seize or something similar.

I too stripped the splines on the U-joint for the front axle on a Kubota B7000. Mostly caused by driving on hard surfaces with 4WD engaged. It was just a short distance in between orchards but still caused damage over time. I changed my behavior after that repair.

By the way, and sorry for the off topic, did you end up finding a front axle housing for the Hurlimann?
Oh Yes, The axle housing arrived in good time,and is sitting on the lift table with all the pins and studs installed.

There was some difficulty discovered with the differential ring gear however. all the cap screws had loosened in the housing and spoiled the threads in the cast iron. That issue could have, and would have been catastrophic! but caught due to the calamity of a broken axle!

The replacement is on order. With a differential rebuild awaiting.
"It's only money" ;-)

/ Spline lube?
Honestly, if it moves but doesn't have a grease nipple, I use a lanolin-based spray.
The "sheep skin" lubricants are fine if you can refresh them.

These front wheel drive shafts are hidden behind protective shield plates.

It's like trying to lube the splines on the clutch and throw out. Out of sight, out of reach....

/ Spline lube? #10  
What works for me is spray oil in a can. I had an issue with moly grease in that it hardened up on me. My parts guy said it was because it is a clay based grease and it will harden up in time. So, the spray grease works fine.

In the grease gun, I've now switched to Deere poly grease. Works great and makes the loader feel tight as new. So for the PTO shaft fitting and really all fittings, that's what I use.

Interesting. I've not seen clay based anything besides Bentonite. That spray Fluid Film is nice stuff. Like it a lot. Anti seize is great, but curses if it gets on anything else.
That's what my experienced parts guy told me when I had a problem with hardened grease. I didn't verify because he is so wise and careful. My grease was moly grease and it had definitely hardened up and was a problem. That's when I switched to spray oil on those fine splines and also switched to poly grease for my general use.

EDIT--my quick check shows this is not an easy topic since it looks like lots of greases can have clay added as a thickener while others are clay based and presumably have a higher level of clay. It looks like clay can be anywhere and likely vary from product to product.

Last edited: