Split my first Farmtrac 320 today

/ Split my first Farmtrac 320 today #1  

trac

Gold Member
Tractor
Long 530, 2360, 360,2310, Ford 641, 8N, 2N
Had trouble with the pto clutch not disengaging with the clutch pedal fully depressed. Found a loose bolt on the release finger. Release bearing not compressing pressure plate equally, causing disc to float. All that work for a loose bolt, but not bad to split. Also had trouble with the pto coupler under the rockshaft housing. The snap ring came out of it's groove in the shaft and would not couple together to drive the rear pto shaft. Had a 270 do the same thing last year. Oh well, all in a days work.

/ Split my first Farmtrac 320 today #2  
Had trouble with the pto clutch not disengaging with the clutch pedal fully depressed. Found a loose bolt on the release finger. Release bearing not compressing pressure plate equally, causing disc to float. All that work for a loose bolt, but not bad to split. Also had trouble with the pto coupler under the rockshaft housing. The snap ring came out of it's groove in the shaft and would not couple together to drive the rear pto shaft. Had a 270 do the same thing last year. Oh well, all in a days work.

How many hours to dissasemble and reasemble?

/ Split my first Farmtrac 320 today
It took about two hours to split. Have not put back together yet. The tractor has 232 hours on the clock. I have split a 360. 410 and a 530 at the clutch housing. I have spit a 360 and a 470 to replace shuttle gears and that was a high labor job.

Update - Got all adjustments done, and put back together last week. Tractor slid back together really easy. About 3 hours assembly time until running. Sometimes the little ones are harder to put together than the big guys. Delivered to the customer who was delighted, as he purchase the tractor in this condition. Got to compliment LG- LS for the quality in their clutches. Think they have a great product. I have a 390 on the lot that is for sale, fresh trade, if anyone is interested. Trac

/ Split my first Farmtrac 320 today #5  
Got to compliment LG- LS for the quality in their clutches. Think they have a great product.

I'm not so sure on this one. We have a 360 DTC made by LS. We have had to replace the clutch TWICE.

According to the tractor place that replaced it for us the first time, it is a diaphragm clutch and must be driven with care. He said it is of the utmost importance that you KEEP YOUR FOOT OFF THE PEDAL at all times unless the clutch pedal is fully pressed.

In less than 6 months the clutch burned out a second time, and we were very careful.

I replaced it myself the second time - yes, we split the 360 :confused2: what fun ...

The clutch shop that resurfaced the flywheel for us was not impressed with the quality of the clutch disk. He had no problem with the flywheel. He also had a replacement pressure plate (he said that particular Mitsubishi PP was used in many cars and trucks). However, he was unable to fix the disk. We ended up having to either get one from Montana Tractor (at $500+) or from a place in Kentucky. We opted for Ky. since it was about $400 less.

So far, the second new clutch is working fine. However, we are planning on trading it in on a Kubota TBL - L39 or L45

:cool:

/ Split my first Farmtrac 320 today #6  
I'm not so sure on this one. We have a 360 DTC made by LS. We have had to replace the clutch TWICE.

According to the tractor place that replaced it for us the first time, it is a diaphragm clutch and must be driven with care. He said it is of the utmost importance that you KEEP YOUR FOOT OFF THE PEDAL at all times unless the clutch pedal is fully pressed.

In less than 6 months the clutch burned out a second time, and we were very careful.

I replaced it myself the second time - yes, we split the 360 :confused2: what fun ...

The clutch shop that resurfaced the flywheel for us was not impressed with the quality of the clutch disk. He had no problem with the flywheel. He also had a replacement pressure plate (he said that particular Mitsubishi PP was used in many cars and trucks). However, he was unable to fix the disk. We ended up having to either get one from Montana Tractor (at $500+) or from a place in Kentucky. We opted for Ky. since it was about $400 less.

So far, the second new clutch is working fine. However, we are planning on trading it in on a Kubota TBL - L39 or L45

:cool:

In Cleveland OH, I have had a company called Custom Clutch, Joint, and Hydraulic reline clutch disc for equipment many times. They often can modify the disc in the process. For example, the last one they did for me on a John Deer 440 log skidder originaly had 7 ceramic pads on the disc. I told them to put as many on the reman disc as they could fit. It now has 11 ceramic pads on it and has only needed one adjustment in 400 hrs !!!!

The diaphram clutch is more sensitive to leaving your foot on the pedal because it takes much less pedal pressure to unload the clutch than the much stiffer borg and beck [3 finger] style pressure plates. You can be slipping the clutch without even realizing it.

It is not a good idea to rest your foot on the clutch on anything, Tractor, truck, car, etc. This practice pushes the throwout bearing against the pressure plate fingers constantly, causing the bearing to rotate constantly, instead of just when the clutch is used. This practice over timee will almost always lead to premature clutch failure and catastrophic pressure plate damage.

In Cleveland OH, I have had a company called Custom Clutch, Joint, and Hydraulic reline clutch disc for equipment many times. They often can modify the disc in the process. For example, the last one they did for me on a John Deer 440 log skidder originaly had 7 ceramic pads on the disc. I told them to put as many on the reman disc as they could fit. It now has 11 ceramic pads on it and has only needed one adjustment in 400 hrs !!!!

The diaphram clutch is more sensitive to leaving your foot on the pedal because it takes much less pedal pressure to unload the clutch than the much stiffer borg and beck [3 finger] style pressure plates. You can be slipping the clutch without even realizing it.

It is not a good idea to rest your foot on the clutch on anything, Tractor, truck, car, etc. This practice pushes the throwout bearing against the pressure plate fingers constantly, causing the bearing to rotate constantly, instead of just when the clutch is used. This practice over timee will almost always lead to premature clutch failure and catastrophic pressure plate damage.

I'm in total agreement with you. If the TL., TLB, is going to be used for any amount of work, a cermanic clutch disc is a must. Most manufactures figure the unit is not going to have alot of hours posted on the clock therefore using the standard clutch disc. Some people do intend on using the tractor harder than company intent, so a need for the ceramic disc ( including operator error). The only other thing I can add is I have seen over the years, that a ceramic disc is agressive and does wear all metal surfaces that it comes in contact with including the flywheel.

/ Split my first Farmtrac 320 today #8  
Having a ceramic disk would be nice. However, I was told that our disk was not able to be rebuilt.

What I would like is a way to convert the clutch away from a diaphram to a borg and beck.

That said, we are still planning to trade for the Kubota. Not only will that help with the clutch issues, it will eliminate the constant climbing on/off the two seats while digging. The walk-thru cab with a flip around seat is much easier on these old bones.