Manual shift Massey 1528 PTO won't disengage with 2 stage clutch

/ Manual shift Massey 1528 PTO won't disengage with 2 stage clutch #1  

odiez

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1528
I've owned this tractor for 17 years and have never used the PTO until now. I recently bought a post hole digger and have come to find that the clutch won't disengage the PTO. With the clutch fully depressed I engage the PTO lever and the PTO shaft will turn even with the auger hitting the ground and a load on it. I checked clutch pedal free-play and it's 1". Right where it's supposed to be. I also adjusted the limit bolt to give the clutch pedal a bit more travel and it still won't disengage the PTO when fully depressed. I'm not a fan of the grinding gears when I engage the PTO. Anyone have any ideas what the issue might be?

/ Manual shift Massey 1528 PTO won't disengage with 2 stage clutch #2  
I think it is a pretty likely bet that never having been used for 17 years the 2nd stage of the clutch that engages/disengages the PTO is rusted together. Not sure how best to jar it loose, but you probably can without busting anything. My guess would be that some continued use of the PTO driven tool will break it loose eventually if you keep trying. Probably no access plate or any way to get in there and pry it loose. I guess try to place as sudden a load as you can on PTO while holding the clutch all the way in where it SHOULD be disengaged.

By the way, I can't imagine that in 17 years you have not pressed that clutch down into second stage release many times without needing to or intending to. That MIGHT indicate a more serious issue that just a rusted pressure plate...???

/ Manual shift Massey 1528 PTO won't disengage with 2 stage clutch #3  
I've owned this tractor for 17 years and have never used the PTO until now. I recently bought a post hole digger and have come to find that the clutch won't disengage the PTO. With the clutch fully depressed I engage the PTO lever and the PTO shaft will turn even with the auger hitting the ground and a load on it. I checked clutch pedal free-play and it's 1". Right where it's supposed to be. I also adjusted the limit bolt to give the clutch pedal a bit more travel and it still won't disengage the PTO when fully depressed. I'm not a fan of the grinding gears when I engage the PTO. Anyone have any ideas what the issue might be?

Like JWR said. Put a load on the pto while depressing the clutch all the way. Would have to be a higher load than the post hole digger that does not require the tractor to move. Examples would be pto driven wood chipper, generator, water pump, etc. Dealer may have the ability to load the pto with dyno.

Failing that you will have to split the tractor and service the clutches.

/ Manual shift Massey 1528 PTO won't disengage with 2 stage clutch #4  
Does the 1528 have the yellow electric PTO clutch switch? If does, is it rotated fully counter-clockwise and pulled up?

I know on the 1533 which I ride, if I leave that on, and then I pull the lever into position, then release the clutch, the PTO will indeed turn.

Was just a thought before you go ripping into the case.

• Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Manual shift Massey 1528 PTO won't disengage with 2 stage clutch
Does the 1528 have the yellow electric PTO clutch switch? If does, is it rotated fully counter-clockwise and pulled up?

I know on the 1533 which I ride, if I leave that on, and then I pull the lever into position, then release the clutch, the PTO will indeed turn.

Was just a thought before you go ripping into the case.
No electric PTO clutch switch on the 1528. PTO is engaged with a lever and should disengage with the foot clutch, but it doesn't.

/ Manual shift Massey 1528 PTO won't disengage with 2 stage clutch
Like JWR said. Put a load on the pto while depressing the clutch all the way. Would have to be a higher load than the post hole digger that does not require the tractor to move. Examples would be pto driven wood chipper, generator, water pump, etc. Dealer may have the ability to load the pto with dyno.

Failing that you will have to split the tractor and service the clutches.
I've been using the post hole digger and hoping it would free up while digging through some rocky ground. But nothing yet. I don't have access to any other implements. More holes to dig, though.