Splitter done broke

/ Splitter done broke #1  

Firefighter Kubota

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota 7510
So after 7 years my splitter finally gave up . The steal around the wedge welds fatigued and tore. Wasn't too much hassle to pull the slide, and hydraulic cylinder, reweld the wedge. ran out of time to reinstall, but I hope to be back up and running on my next day off. splitter 1.jpg splitter2.jpg

/ Splitter done broke #2  
Nicely done!

/ Splitter done broke #4  
For some reasons all the splitters I have used always have the wedge on the ram... not sure why and don't know if one design would be stronger than the other.

/ Splitter done broke #5  
Wedge on ram or wedge on beam is about splitter design and how you want it to function. One way is no better or stronger than the other. Both can be done right or wrong.

Nice repair OP. I just don't like the design of surface welded wedges.

/ Splitter done broke #6  
Wedge on ram or wedge on beam is about splitter design and how you want it to function. One way is no better or stronger than the other. Both can be done right or wrong.

Nice repair OP. I just don't like the design of surface welded wedges.
Yes. A gusset to the bottom corners is needed. ... OP - Is the beam end closed? If you can get in there weld in a triangle extending from the tip of the wedge to each bottom corner directly below.
larry

/ Splitter done broke #7  
that's a two way splitter

/ Splitter done broke #8  
,,,,,,,,,,,Yes.

/ Splitter done broke
Yes. A gusset to the bottom corners is needed. ... OP - Is the beam end closed? If you can get in there weld in a triangle extending from the tip of the wedge to each bottom corner directly below.
larry

I'm not sure what you are describing... but sounds like you are suggesting a weld that would then interfere with the splitting surface...

The last one held up to 7 years, So i'm sure I'll get another 5 or so out of this repair... By then I'm sure I'll have a better mouse trap...

/ Splitter done broke #10  
The gusset would go inside.