Splitter leaking

/ Splitter leaking #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
Some months back, I added a proper oil tank, and filter, to my splitter, but now I have a leak. It leaks around the spin on filter, and I have tightened it with a oil filter wrench, much tighter than I do, say on my car or truck. Still leaks,

On my valve, the line from the "OUT" port on the valve, goes to the filter and back to the tank. I assume it's correct?

Could this be a leak inside the valve causing too much pressure? I had this leak when it was just sitting there, too. I used the filter that came with the filter housing. Kinda stumped here.

I noticed one hyd line has developed a leak at the fitting, and most of the other high press lines are old, so it's no surprise there, but the filter leaks bugs me.

/ Splitter leaking #2  
Something doesn't sound right to me. The filter should be in the pump's suction line, between the tank and pump, where there is very little pressure, or even a slight vacuum.

/ Splitter leaking #3  
He said splitter, and I am assuming log splitter, and it is usual for a splitter to have a filter in the return line.

If the filter leaks with no flow, then you might need a new housing.

/ Splitter leaking
Maybe I should try to re-plumb the pump to the suction line. The interesting part is that it does/has leaked with the engine off too. JJ I wonder what could be wrong with the housing?

Sorry, yes, log splitter.

/ Splitter leaking #5  
What is the micro rating of the filter?

Most hyd systems have a filter on the input for larger particles.

A return filter of about 10 microns should be good enough for the log splitter.

You could try another filter and if it leaks, then suspect the housing.

/ Splitter leaking
Yea I will take the filter off. I'll probably relocate it or re-plumb it to the suction side. IF the return side has too much pressure for it, it might have blown the seal right off the bat. Never thought about their being pressure on that side, but I suppose it could be the issue.

/ Splitter leaking #7  
If this is a true filter and not a screen do not put it in the suction side because it will cause the pump to cavitate and self destruct.

Like JJ said. Look at the filter head to see if their is a crack or nick in the sealing area or around one of the ports.

Silly question but did you possibly get a filter with SAE O-ring boss ports and screw a pipe fitting into them. A #12 SAE and 3/4 pipe are close enough that the pipe nipple will start but they don't interchange at all and will generally leak.

/ Splitter leaking
Well honestly I wouldn't be able to answer that question on the threads. I know the filter was in the box WITH the housing so I HOPE it was the right one. It went on easy enough.

Thanks for the warning on the suction line, and I will pull the housing off and see what I can see.

/ Splitter leaking #9  
totally agree with oldnslow, dont put it on the suction line. you will kill the pump. Do you know that the filter is rated for the flow of your splitter? Realize that when you are retracting the cylinder that you are flowing more than the pump because of the unequal displacement of either side of the cylinder, amount depends on bore/rod ratio. Did you keep the same size hose as before? I would check the backpressure at the filter inlet first. ISZ

/ Splitter leaking #10  
I have had this happen before, but not often. New filter not having the rubber Oring and not notice when installed. Leak is pretty big and it dont take long to realize something is wrong. Also a small piece of trash on the oring surface will cause a small leak, I am wondering is your leak around the filter or around the fittings going into the mount.