Sprayer calibration? Need some education.

/ Sprayer calibration? Need some education. #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
Hi everyone,

I searched but didn't find my answer. I have a 40 gallon FIMCO boom sprayer with the yellow number 2 nozzles. I need to spray a pre-emergent herbicide in the growing zone of my vineyard. There are posts every 25 feet. I'm assuming that trying to spray this with the outer nozzle on the boom would be tough as it would be hard to keep the same distance from the grow zone as you drive the atv down the rows. I'm thinking that walking behind with the wand sprayer would be a better option. However, the wand has an adjustable nozzle and so there are no charts on how you would calibrate the sprayer.

I'm new to farming and looking for advice from you guys who have been using sprayers for years. Should I try to use the boom? Use the wand and if so how do I calibrate to it?

/ Sprayer calibration? Need some education. #2  
I can help you out here. First, I need some info from you:

1. What speed you can consistently drive your 4-wheeler in this area?

2. Does your sprayer have a pressure regulator on it for adjusting pressure? If not, what is the max pressure of the pump?

3. What product are you applying and how much product needs to be applied per acre or X amount of sq. footage?

4. How much total acreage do you need to spray?

If you can give me the above info, I can give you what you need for tips size and tank mix proportions. I would definitely use the boom to spray the majority and come back and wand the area between the posts If I felt it needed it. I'm been spraying 2 acres of new trees in rows, and that procedure has worked quite well.