Spreader or sprayer?

/ Spreader or sprayer? #11  
I have a cab, but also go backwards a lot of the time. With the loader down low and 6 nozzles the spray stays down, and I still get about 8’ coverage.

/ Spreader or sprayer?
A tough question for me also !
" I’m leaning towards spreader then using 2gallon sprayer for any spot treatments".
This is exactly what I did (and 2.5 acre yard also). In my case I ended up with a close-out craftsman spreader. Only holds about 40lbs, but I have an old Gator to pull it with. So, I can keep other bags in the back of the Gator and re-fill on the spot. Otherwise, this spreader would be too small - too many trips back and forth to re-fill. I have used the spreader with my Z-turn also.
I use a backpack sprayer for spot, even broadcast (sort of) areas. I went with a Field King backpack. It has mixing flappers, so I can use powders also keeps liquids mixed up - a problem (minor) with a regular backpack.
I do have a 25 gallon sprayer also, but I never use it except for major spot spraying. Why ? Here in Central Texas, WIND WIND and more WIND. By the time of the year the wind is not screaming, the weeds are getting too mature - you of course, want to get them while they are young. These battery powered tank sprayers are a PITA. The pumps will fail and are $$ to justify replacing - IMHO.

So, my only real recommendation is ( I do not know what 2 gallon sprayer you were looking at) to get a backpack sprayer !

Good Luck !
Thanks for the advice. I was worried about capacity being small on 40lb unit, also worried about weight (on larger unit)if I ended up pushing manually. Looking to see if anyone makes a pull behind that also has a push handle so can operate it manually in tighter areas.

/ Spreader or sprayer? #13  
I have a tow-behind sprayer. Probably a 25 gallon unit and I'd like to use it but here in north central Florida I've had zip-O luck finding liquid lawn fertilizer! Seemed like a great idea. And I bought it so I could use it with Graze-On and such so the horses (2 minis) would get the benefit of a lush pasture. So who has liquid fertilizer (concentrate)?

/ Spreader or sprayer? #14  
I have a tow-behind sprayer. Probably a 25 gallon unit and I'd like to use it but here in north central Florida I've had zip-O luck finding liquid lawn fertilizer! Seemed like a great idea. And I bought it so I could use it with Graze-On and such so the horses (2 minis) would get the benefit of a lush pasture. So who has liquid fertilizer (concentrate)?
Not sure how bad you want it, agri supply in Tifton GA had it two weeks ago and shouldn't have gone anywhere.

/ Spreader or sprayer? #15  
Thanks! I haven't looked at Agri Supply in several years. Worth a shot, maybe.

/ Spreader or sprayer? #16  
I don't know about availability of liquid fertilizer and herbicides these days, but I have always found them available at farm stores like Tractor Supply and others..... etc.

For my 3 acres i routinely use a 55 gallon tow behind sprayer, a 2 gallon hand sprayer for spot treatment and even larger areas like the driveway, or my walk behind Earthway spreader. They all have their place in my hands. I broadcast seed by hand and always look for a way to get the job done without an engine driving it...... but....having good legs and health makes a differance.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 50
  • 1208.JPG
    1208.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 52
   / Spreader or sprayer? #17  
Chuck,
I see several liquid feeds on the Home Depot website... just for a starters. Of course, I bet you know, unless your tow-behind is capable of spraying it, it can damage the sprayer. Some say you can do it if you clean well, but some liquid feed is pretty caustic ?

/ Spreader or sprayer? #18  
I have been looking @ Rural King, Home Depot, Lowe's and Ace. And the preponderance of fertilizer I have seen is dry for a spreader.
Hey that's okay, we have a broadcast tow-behind for the lawn tractor but I was thinking the liguid, concentrate, would be an advantage. Hasn't worked out that way.

/ Spreader or sprayer? #19  
I have been looking @ Rural King, Home Depot, Lowe's and Ace. And the preponderance of fertilizer I have seen is dry for a spreader.
Hey that's okay, we have a broadcast tow-behind for the lawn tractor but I was thinking the liguid, concentrate, would be an advantage. Hasn't worked out that way.
Understand completely. Most is dry. There are a few liquids at Home Depot. For me at least, I think the dry is better for fertilizer ? I have used the Medina liquid and it seemed to work well, but some of the higher nitrogen liquids (assuming you wait per instructions) was troublesome for me. In Texas, if I waited to spray liquid post-green up, and it did not rain (which it doesn't normally), it would burn the grass.
So, dry I can put out and it can sit until rains... of course some of the Urea may volatilize depending on the weather, but really no options for me. I just do not have the time, to time applications just right.

/ Spreader or sprayer? #20