Spring (water)

/ Spring (water) #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
Yesterday was a beautiful day in NY. Bright sun, blue sky, and a 20 mph wind which made the temp. feel below zero! Decided to stop at the land and take some picture after refilling the bird feeders. The attached picture is of the natural spring which runs right past the end of our pie shaped lot. We know that the spring originates further back on the property to our left. What we can't figure out is where the spring ends. It does not let into a pond, it just seems to stop. This doesn't seem possible since there seem to be quite a bit of water flowing, even during the winter. Any ideas?

Michele

18-29691-tractor.gif
18-30376-Paul.jpg

Attachments

• 8-31923-Stream-pics.jpg
    8-31923-Stream-pics.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 125
   / Spring (water) #2  
Looks like you have a good under ground water supply w/ pressure.

If the water can flow free and the level remains the same plus the temp,I doubt if it shall freeze.

Do you have much granite and how far below the surface until the ledge starts,for that area could be the weaks point in the under ground stream....sure make a good pond site.

Thomas..NH /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Spring (water) #3  
As a child, we had the same thing on the property I lived on. The creek just surfaced for about 100 yds and then went back underground. It didn't surface again for another 300 yds or so. This type of creek is common in this area (Western WA). Depending on the ground make up, the creek may never resurface or may resurface in a very short distance. If this is a true spring the water quality may be ok. If it's an underground creek, you just don't know. It could have surfaced up steam in the middle of a fretilizer plant,(who knows what).

Jerry

/ Spring (water)
Well, we just got the land last fall, so we do not know the make up yet. But the first cold snap this winter we had a pond appear in the woods at the back of our land. It did not flow over from the spring, so it must have came out of the ground/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif. This is in a depressed area, so I think it will be the pond site. Of course this is were I was going to put my barn./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

18-29691-tractor.gif
18-30376-Paul.jpg

/ Spring (water) #5  
Look at the bright side. It would have been a very CLEAN barn!

Pete

Yearning for a bigger tractor!

/ Spring (water)
Ya, I could use it to test treated wood/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

18-29691-tractor.gif
18-30376-Paul.jpg

/ Spring (water) #7  
Also in Western Washington, last land southward to be glacier covered recently (14,000 years is recent geologically).

We have a creek running through our property that is one fork of a similar creek. If you follow it upland it ends in tiny puddles that you can connect with your foot to make them"run". If you follow it downstream, it spreads out and disappears. In winter at times you could take a canoe down our creek, 2 24" culverts running fullbore. Same with the other fork. We have hard pan 2-6 feet down. Just like a bathtub. The rain fills the tub and eventually the water table is at the surface uphill, it runs into the creek, then travels downslope until it has found a gravel vein. From their it runs underground for about 1 mile and reappears.

When it is really moving you can go down to where it goes into the ground. (you can't see actually where, prarie grass). There is an incredible sound. Open a can of carbonated pop, pour it into a glass fast and then put your ear to the top of the glass, that is what it sounds like only LOUD.

Idiot County has allowed 100+ home development on postage stamp lots, all of the old farts are hoping the gravel vein will plug up, the development will then be a nice lake.

I read somewhere that below ground there is something like 100 times the amount in all of the rivers and streams above ground, not counting the actual fairly stationery acquifers themselves. Acquifers they consider bodies of water moving very slowly.

Certainly makes sense to me to put 100 houses in a gravel area, with 100 septic tanks over an OBVIOUS TO ANYONE water transport system.

Other developments have later been "saved" by million dollar pumping systems when the county can't figure out why clearing 100's of acres over hardpan in low areas and stuffing houses in causes problems. You'd think they'd learn. Nice to see my property taxes going to good uses.

We have to vote ourselves taxes for schools and paramedic equipment, would be nice if we could vote on the idiotic things instead.

/ Spring (water) #8  
Like I said, if it's a creek you don't know what it's been exposed to while sufaced or underground. Maybe even septic tanks and drain fields.

Jerry