spun bearing in front axle

/ spun bearing in front axle #11  
My M9's which are far from sub 30K tractors have ball bearings in the front outboards as well. I'm always waiting for a failure as I'm always moving and loading round bales on trucks but so far no issues with them.

Far as I know, all Kubota's have them at least the ones built by them. I always change my front end lubricant every 2 years and I'm always looking at it for traces of metal.

JD has tapered rollers in the outboards on the larger units, that is why the hubs stick out so far.

I'm sure it has to do with cost versus design, probably why Kubota went to the no fuel filler strainer and the wonky bucket level indicator on the sub compacts.

Not sure about Kioti as I don't own one but I bet the Kubota and the Kioti outboard parts are interchangeable.

/ spun bearing in front axle #14  
Having said that I rarely use FWA unless required for a traction issue. Always in 2wd.

Best news I heard all day. It is the message I put out continuously.

/ spun bearing in front axle #15  
RWD or FWA, I don't believe it really matters because the outboards are turning when the wheels are rotating. Granted, there isn't any applied torque strain on them but the load can still be there especially when using a front end loader.

I am glad I can grease mine (outboards), a lot of tractors don't even have grease fittings.

/ spun bearing in front axle #16  
I don't think people quite realize how hard loaders are on tractors, specially maxing out the lifting capacity or carry those massive over sized implements, until it's time to pay big money to fix stuff.

/ spun bearing in front axle #17  
Here's a thread from 2017 of a similar tractor and story. May be useful for some folks to have this in one place.

Not common, but common enough. If it ever happens to one of mine, (just over 800hrs now) I'll attempt to swap bearing types for tapered roller bearings, (assuming its possible at all given radial and axial positioning, and load direction requirements). There's always the next weakest link in the chain, but I'd be willing to chase that one.

/ spun bearing in front axle #18  
I'd be willing to bet the 2wd versions of most tractors will have tapered roller bearings in the front end.

/ spun bearing in front axle
Well new cover, bearings and seals arrived today. Waiting for axle 1E87F45D-F274-4E52-94AC-71FD4FD314F7.jpeg

/ spun bearing in front axle #20  
not really sure what happened. judging by the amount of 90 weight that spilled out, it wasnt low on fluid. i changed fluids last summer. when parts come ill split the other side and take a look. it could jut be a freak occurrence, but im not taking a chance with other axle. im replacing bearings and seals. ive owned this unit for 11 years now, and this is the worst thing that has happened. no other bad issues. guess im just glad it didnt happen in middle of winter.

its not an issue with the axle or cover, it was a bearing failing. i have no idea who manufactures the bearings kioti uses.

i had my JD870 do the same thing as happened to this tractor at about the 700 hour mark. dealer told me it was just a freak occurrence. now i wonder. that repair cost me close to 2 grand.

here are some pics of the kioti
View attachment 758205

View attachment 758206View attachment 758207View attachment 758208View attachment 758209View attachment 758210

grsthegreat

Question what front axle fluid do you use (gear oil 90w or Hydraulic/UTF or other?

I ask as my CK 27 shows either a heavy gear oil or many Hydraulic/UTF are acceptable for front axle. Some suggest if using tractor in cold climates to use the lighter Hydraulic/UTF instead of heavier gear oil for improved cold lubrication. At my 50 hour service I wanted to use 80/90W gear oil but did not have any so used Mobilfluid 424 that was left over from the hydo fill. The Mobilfluid 424 is around a 10W-30 SAE viscosity. After reading the suggestions of possible improved cold lubrication with lighter fluids I chose to leave the Mobilfluid 424 in the front axle.

Just wonder if there is a link.

Good luck getting the repairs completed.

Wayne