squirrel bait

/ squirrel bait #1  

Jim Nelson

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800&B7510
I live in rural San Diego county in Southern Calif. and we have an on going problem with ground squirrels.They eat part of everything we try to raise then burrow under the roads causing constant problems there too. One of the most popular ways of trying to control them has always been bait stations with a product called P.C.Q . as the poison bait. I went to buy a pail this morning and was told that it was outlawed for homeowner use. I guess fly swatters will be next. I checked the internet site where I've bought pest control stuff in the past but they don't list it anymore either so I guess this is a federal act of stupidity rather than Nanny Moonbeam and his band of perverts.
I used to shoot them with a pellet gun for a much greater sense of personal satisfaction but about a year ago I had a stroke in my right eye and lost the vision in it so that's over with.
Does anyone know of any other product that will kill them and is available to the public?

/ squirrel bait #2  
I would direct you to this page from the University of California (my alma mater) Home Page - Ground Squirrel Best Management Practices for squirrel management practices.

The problem with bait stations is you have no control what is eating from them...dogs, cats, birds, children. You end up with a shotgun situation when a flyswatter will do.

Say what you will about the Feds, but I appreciate some amount of control over what corporations and homeowners can release into our environment. I've spent 25 years and made a pile of cash cleaning up environmental problems created by corporations as well as homeowners. Those regulations feed my bank account and feed my ex-wife!

And hey, congratulations on Jerry Brown getting California's budget deficit under control! Too bad he and Linda Ronstadt couldn't have hung in together.

/ squirrel bait #3  
They don't swim very well. Take a 5 gal bucket, fill 1/2 full of water. Sprinkle sunflower seeds (in California, you will have to use virgin, non-GM, gluten free and certified organic ones) on top of the water until it appears to be a solid surface. Then provide a ramp for them to climb up on. Keep track of the number of occupants of the bucket. Feed them to the homeless, or undocumented space aliens. Deep fry on a stick at the local flea market. (Fleas will be gone and headed to Nevada).

You must be a republican. Democrats in California are completely blind.

/ squirrel bait
We are quite obviously from opposite ends of the universe and probably wouldn't agree on whether it is daylight or dark but I appreciate your information.
I would direct you to this page from the University of California (my alma mater) Home Page - Ground Squirrel Best Management Practices for squirrel management practices.

The problem with bait stations is you have no control what is eating from them...dogs, cats, birds, children. You end up with a shotgun situation when a flyswatter will do.

Say what you will about the Feds, but I appreciate some amount of control over what corporations and homeowners can release into our environment. I've spent 25 years and made a pile of cash cleaning up environmental problems created by corporations as well as homeowners. Those regulations feed my bank account and feed my ex-wife!

And hey, congratulations on Jerry Brown getting California's budget deficit under control! Too bad he and Linda Ronstadt couldn't have hung in together.

/ squirrel bait
The only big problem is that we have nearly as many coyotes as squirrels and they have become vegans so the squirrels wouldn't have a chance at the seeds. To be clear I want nothing to do with either political party as I don't think either has a bit of interest in we the people only their political security.I think the reason they are banning any means of getting rid of vermin is they are afraid they will be next.
They don't swim very well. Take a 5 gal bucket, fill 1/2 full of water. Sprinkle sunflower seeds (in California, you will have to use virgin, non-GM, gluten free and certified organic ones) on top of the water until it appears to be a solid surface. Then provide a ramp for them to climb up on. Keep track of the number of occupants of the bucket. Feed them to the homeless, or undocumented space aliens. Deep fry on a stick at the local flea market. (Fleas will be gone and headed to Nevada).

You must be a republican. Democrats in California are completely blind.

/ squirrel bait #7  
Peanut butter in a Havahart trap followed up by a lead pellet. The carcass gets put on a tree stump on the edge of the property and it's gone the next morning, local hawks that hang around I think get the meal.
I used to do a relocation program using the Havahart trap, but supposedly is illegal in my state. Don't want to come amiss of the law.

/ squirrel bait #8  
Deep fry on a stick at the local flea market.

Free-range, organic ground squirrel on a stick? Thems' good eatin'!:thumbsup:

/ squirrel bait #9  
Shooting them with a pellet gun is against the law.....some states do have a season for them....but if it is a land owner/pest problem things change.

I was going to suggest an air rifle....that should be OK even in the PRK......(Peoples Republic of Kalafornia) :)

/ squirrel bait
I used to shoot them, when I could see, I also trapped them with a squirrelinator and poisoned them with bait stations before the bait became illegal.Two of my three solutions are gone so I guess it's squirrelinator or nothing.Squirrels are pretty smart critters and figure most things out pretty quick.The first day I put the squirrelinator out I caught 5 in about 6 hours which I shot with the pellet gun,after that I would catch one or two a day for a while and now I get maybe two a week.I think part of the problem is they are too well fed naturally to be fooled by this trap business very long. It seems the best bait is whatever fruit is in season with avocados being a year round favorite but there's just too much available with no risk to them and not much effort.