Stabilizing clamp on forks?

/ Stabilizing clamp on forks? #11  
We had some heavy duty bolt on forks for a backhoe. What we did was weld some large washers on the inside of the bucket where the clamp bolts touched the bucket. This gave us a fixed width, but that was where we needed to keep them anyway. The bucket had a reinforcement plate in line with the lower pivot points where we alway put the forks. Even if they worked loose the end of the bolt wouldn't jump out of the washer "cup". If they were crooked I would just tilt the bucket down & let gravity straighten them out before I used them.

/ Stabilizing clamp on forks?
We had some heavy duty bolt on forks for a backhoe. What we did was weld some large washers on the inside of the bucket where the clamp bolts touched the bucket. This gave us a fixed width, but that was where we needed to keep them anyway. The bucket had a reinforcement plate in line with the lower pivot points where we alway put the forks. Even if they worked loose the end of the bolt wouldn't jump out of the washer "cup". If they were crooked I would just tilt the bucket down & let gravity straighten them out before I used them.
That's an interesting idea. The washers. I'm gonna take a look at what I can maybe weld to the inside of the bucket, be it washers or perhaps washers and something else. Welding stuff to the inside of the bucket bothers me way less than stuff welded to to outside bottom where it could interfere with digging.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Stabilizing clamp on forks? #13  
That's an interesting idea. The washers. I'm gonna take a look at what I can maybe weld to the inside of the bucket, be it washers or perhaps washers and something else. Welding stuff to the inside of the bucket bothers me way less than stuff welded to to outside bottom where it could interfere with digging.
Thanks,
Eric
I have to admit I don't have much faith in clamp on pallet forks. But for light duty lifting they can work. That said here is a video that shows how to stabilize them. Check around the 4 minute mark if you don't want to watch the whole video.

Hope this helps!!

/ Stabilizing clamp on forks? #14  
Thanks,
Eric
If willing to do that, u could weld on a bar with a long slot. This would allow any position plus capture the clamps like the washers.

/ Stabilizing clamp on forks?
I have to admit I don't have much faith in clamp on pallet forks. But for light duty lifting they can work. That said here is a video that shows how to stabilize them. Check around the 4 minute mark if you don't want to watch the whole video.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks for the link, I will watch it later today.
Eriv

/ Stabilizing clamp on forks? #16  
I have a set of DIY forks and solved the parallelism issue.
What I did was to make the clamping width match the gap between my teeth.
Most clamp ons are just as wide as the fork width.
Since my teeth are 8 ins apart I made my forks with a 6 inch contact area so they don't wander.
Works just fine.

/ Stabilizing clamp on forks? #17  
….but hooking a chain and binder around the bucket to avoid getting a smiley face bucket prevents sticking in a couple of vertically mounted 2”x4”’s into the clamp on forks that acts as a “backstop”. (Most clamp on forks have a 2”x4” holder)
This is ok if you’re just lifting pallets, but if you’re lifting logs you definitely want these “backstops” and don’t just rely on the bucket as your backstop.
Many people have been killed or injured when the log is lifted too high and it rolls backwards over the bucket, right down the loader arms and right onto the drivers chest or lap.
Serious stuff.

Last edited:
   / Stabilizing clamp on forks? #18  
….but hooking a chain and binder around the bucket to avoid getting a smiley face bucket prevents sticking in a vertically mounted 2”x4” into the clamp on forks that acts as a “backstop”. (Most clamp on forks have a 2”x4” holder)
This is ok if you’re just lifting pallets, but if you’re lifting logs you definitely want these “backstops” and don’t just rely on the bucket as your backstop.
Many people have been killed or injured when the log is lifted too high and it rolls backwards over the bucket, right down the loader arms and right onto the drivers chest or lap.
Serious stuff.
I did the same thing with the chain (it hooks to the chain hooks at the top of the bucket, not all the way around). If you look at the picture above, you'll see they added a bracket for the turnbuckle to attach to. I never use a 2x4 for the backstop, don't trust it. I use some heavy c channel.

My little 40hp easily lifts 3000# with the clamp-on's, just have to take it slow and easy.

/ Stabilizing clamp on forks? #19  
This is the last time I used mine. They went over instead of under but i needed a little more reach to move my generator. I had my 1200 lb ballast on the 3pt and kept the load a few inches off the ground. :)
IMG_0985.jpg

/ Stabilizing clamp on forks? #20  
This is the last time I used mine. They went over instead of under but i needed a little more reach to move my generator. I had my 1200 lb ballast on the 3pt and kept the load a few inches off the ground. :)

If it works, it works!
…but when it doesn’t, having the forks under the load keeps the load closer to the tractor. This is less leverage that will lift the rear of the tractor and the FEL has a greater lift capacity operating in its “breakout” range.

Last edited: