Starship News

/ Starship News #51  
Looks like a giant money pit to me. :rolleyes:

/ Starship News
Looks like a giant money pit to me. :rolleyes:

Speed costs Money.

How Fast do they want to Go?

LOTS of Progress at Starbase

The stage zero is being repaired at an impressive rate.

Well on their way to launching the next Starship #25, " if " SpaceX can get launch approval.

Lawsuits pending over the concrete excavation.

/ Starship News #53  
Speed costs Money.

How Fast do they want to Go?

The stage zero is being repaired at an impressive rate.
Just say'un...It was also "impressive" how fast the pad came apart during the last launch.

/ Starship News
Just say'un...It was also "impressive" how fast the pad came apart during the last launch.

Yes a Successful
Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly
of the concrete base.

I bet the ground shaking and sound of the launch would have been quite an experience for those actually around Boca Chica with all that power being expended. I would Love to see a launch, but driving there is a Long way.

/ Starship News #56  
As Grady Hillhouse discribes, it wasn't really built to not come apart. It was under built.
Waaaay under built in my opinion.

Plan B looks almost worse, for basic physics reasons.
SpaceX is proposing to put around 17-20 million pounds of force onto a flat plate with holes in it. And manage to pump enormous quantities of water through the holes; NASA's system manages 500,000gpm, perpendicular to the engine thrust pattern, for lower thrust launch payloads. So that puts SpaceX in the 1-2Mgpm range through all of those holes, with far more back pressure because the SpaceX design has holes that have the entirety of the thrust acting as back pressure.​

I think that NASA has the right design idea on this one...

You read it here...

/ Starship News
Waaaay under built in my opinion.

Plan B looks almost worse, for basic physics reasons.
SpaceX is proposing to put around 17-20 million pounds of force onto a flat plate with holes in it. And manage to pump enormous quantities of water through the holes; NASA's system manages 500,000gpm, perpendicular to the engine thrust pattern, for lower thrust launch payloads. So that puts SpaceX in the 1-2Mgpm range through all of those holes, with far more back pressure because the SpaceX design has holes that have the entirety of the thrust acting as back pressure.​

I think that NASA has the right design idea on this one...

You read it here...

SpaceX surely has computer modeled it..??..

/ Starship News #58  
SpaceX surely has computer modeled it..??..
I'm not a formally trained engineer and I don't play one on TV.

I'm sure some bright minds did model something...just like they previously modeled Stage 0, with the result that there were large concrete chunks a hundred plus feet in the air.

The amount of force required to send an 18" chunk of concretely cleanly through the corner of a shipping container is impressive. Seeing the much much larger pieces flying 1-200' in the air in the launch video is amazing, and definitely makes me wonder how many of the engine failures were caused by debris ricocheting around at launch.

"GIGO"

Just an opinion, fed by observational data and years of experience.

All the best,

Peter

Last edited: