Started at 36F with just compression

/ Started at 36F with just compression #1  

quicksandfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Jinma 354, purchased 2007
I thought I'd throw this out for the sake of conversation: I have a 2007 Jinma 354 with with the Y485 engine. A couple of days ago I went to start it, the outside temperature was 36 and it had been in the 30's overnight. It was overcast. So the engine block was at ambient temperature or very close. Usually I would use glow plugs, but they were disconnected and I decided to try it anyway. I used the compression release until the oil pressure came up, and then I released it and it started.

Did it start easy? No. One cylinder fired after a few seconds, which helped out the starter. After a few seconds of that a second one caught, and once I had two it was a matter of seconds before all four were firing -- and the barn was full of black smoke!

Based on this experience, I will say that's about as cold as the block can be and still start. I've seen a lot of threads asking "how cold can an engine start?" and they usually boil down to how powerful your block heater is or how well your glow plugs are working. So my answer is 35F, if it's colder you have to warm the block to that temperature.

I'll add that last summer I replaced the head gasket and it's starting much better now than it ever used to.

/ Started at 36F with just compression #2  
It also depends heavily on the engine itself. Yours is a YangDong, and their Y80/85 Series tractor engines were some of the worst for cold starting. Especially the pre-EPA versions. I installed the full cold start kit on mine; 1100CA Interstate battery, GP relay, starter relay, HD keyswitch, and a lot of 10AWG primary wire in strategic locations. The other tractor had a WeiDong 395 engine. Didn't even have a compression release. Direct injection made a major difference, allowing unassisted starts down to +17F. I had a pan heater on it, but only plugged it in when o'nite temps dropped below +20F

/ Started at 36F with just compression #3  
30F, that's a balming winter for us LOL! That sounds like mid May over night on occasion. Your right about the motor though. However with all the right elements to start the motor up here in -40C; I've never had a problem where I couldn't start it!

Cory

/ Started at 36F with just compression #4  
However with all the right elements to start the motor up here in -40C
I have started my 284 at below freezing temps without the glow plugs but that was only when the power was out and the battery was not fully charged:eek: -- I agree with succor that it is much better to have the right elements in place like a block heater and battery blanket. Much easier to start and runs much better

/ Started at 36F with just compression #5  
Magneic oil pan heaters and block heaters are the way to go . Cold starts are the hardest thing on an . engine . Get it running , pull the pan heater off so it does not snag on anything , good to go .