Starter clicking and sulphur smell

/ Starter clicking and sulphur smell #1  

RichUncle

Tractor
Kubota B7510
Unfortunately it's time for my first repair question thread... I have a B7510 that will be 7 years old this Oct. I hopped on this afternoon to move some fill to the backyard for a new patio project and... nothing doing. Starter clicked, tractor did not turn over.

Even tho it seemed to getting enough juice, I tried jumping it just in case it was just a matter of not enough umph, but that didn't do it. I cleaned off the battery terminals and replaced the wires and still no go. I tapped on the starter while trying to turn it over to see if that would help, but no.
I am getting a sulphur smell from trying to turn it over that is pretty strong. The water level in the battery is just a little down from them top line (there are two lines on the battery wall indicating high and low level - I'm near the top one.

Does this sound like it's time to replace the battery, the starter, or something else? I tried searching and am not coming up with much, especially given the sulphur smell I'm getting.

Thanks for any help.
- Rich

/ Starter clicking and sulphur smell #2  
Sounds like a cell has reverse polarity & is discharging the battery. It might get very hot! Disconnect & remove ASAP. MikeD74t

/ Starter clicking and sulphur smell #3  
I have heard that a sulfur smell is an indication of a bad and dangerous battery ( might explode ) .

/ Starter clicking and sulphur smell #4  
Get the battery out of the tractor, there is the possibility of the battery splitting the case, good idea to wear face shield and goggles, wont hurt to be safe. When you install the new battery, (look for signs of fluid leakage from the old battery) Clean up the terminals, lube with grease or special anti-oxidation battery grease if you have it (NO-Oxide by Sanchem). Start it up, and then check charging voltage make sure it is not too high, should not be over 14.6 should not be much under 13.6 with the engine revd up. Good luck

James K0UA

/ Starter clicking and sulphur smell
Thank you all for the quick replies. I picked up a new battery and will get it in first thing tomorrow. (I'd prefer now but all my ladies are asleep and you know how well that would go over...)

Hopefully the next update is how well the project is going, but I think we're getting rained out.

/ Starter clicking and sulphur smell #6  
I tapped on the starter while trying to turn it over to see if that would help,...

Thanks for any help.
- Rich

If you tap on the starter, the only thing you will accomplish will be either cracking or loosening the magnets glued to the case... If you want to tap on a starter you should go back in time, Way back, To when starters had field windings instead of permanent magnets...

KennyV

/ Starter clicking and sulphur smell #7  
If you tap on the starter, the only thing you will accomplish will be either cracking or loosening the magnets glued to the case... If you want to tap on a starter you should go back in time, Way back, To when starters had field windings instead of permanent magnets...

KennyV

They have brushes, which can become lodged and fail to make contact. I'm not advocating banging on starters, but there is some basis for trying it as a last resort.

/ Starter clicking and sulphur smell #8  
Had something similar happen. Went to fill up and when done wouldnt crank jumping didnt help. Luckily didnt drop the box blade as usual and was able to be pulled away from the pumps. Got a new battery and all was fine!

/ Starter clicking and sulphur smell
OK - New battery in, started right up. SOOO glad it wasn't the starter.

Got no work done yesterday as the backyard is too squishy after the rain. I'm going to take the opportunity to do a service on the machine and be totally prepared for the winter this year.

Thanks for all the help.

/ Starter clicking and sulphur smell #10  
You were very Lucky nothing ignited the sulfuric fumes..Battery eruption,or at least split the case and blow off the top. Glad you took it off the tractor okay.