Starter not engaging flywheel?

/ Starter not engaging flywheel? #31  
Hi all...
Mounted the new starter but when i turn the key i get a loud noiuse as if the starte gear is not properly engaging th flywheel. There's only 2 bolts and there's not a lot of play so i don't see any way to adjust the starter position.

I took the starter off and remounted it and same thing.

I am guessing either the gears are not compatable, or i need to sync the two . Is there something i need to do??? i could try spinning the flywheel a little, but i don't want to keep messing with it if i don't know what i am doing. * sigh*

Thanks again!
You may need a new Bendix drivel Lube the shaft and make sure the gear goes out fully on bench test. Hang on to it tight for bench Test!

/ Starter not engaging flywheel? #32  
Sounds to me like the solenoid to pull out the starter gear is weak. The solenoid/relay/starter motor is all a single package in a Ford 3000 so that leaves you with verifying that you are getting full battery voltage at the starter terminal post and if good replacing the starter

/ Starter not engaging flywheel? #33  
I know you are not talking to me but I have never got a bad anything from Amazon.
A lot of people have gotten phony stuff from Amazon like fuel and oil filters labeled as a name brand but when they failed they found out they were knock offs. Then when the went back the seller was gone.

/ Starter not engaging flywheel? #34  
A lot of people have gotten phony stuff from Amazon like fuel and oil filters labeled as a name brand but when they failed they found out they were knock offs. Then when the went back the seller was gone.
Amazon implicitly condones the selling of fakes by doing absolutely nothing to the seller for illegal false advertising/outright fraud and refusing to allow you to leave a review warning others that it is fake

/ Starter not engaging flywheel? #35  
I’m not a real mechanic but I’m in the parts business and I can tell you that when you’re having trouble with the same part failing multiple times or prematurely, it’s almost always something else causing the part to fail. In this case probably something electrical; bad battery, bad ground, bad wiring or something similar or possible a bad flywheel. Throwing starters at it probably won’t fix it.

/ Starter not engaging flywheel? #36  
OP: you mentioned you looked at the flywheel teeth. Did you put a ratchet on the harmonic balancer bolt and look at all the teeth through an entire revolution?

/ Starter not engaging flywheel? #37  
You did not state the tractor model or type of starter (unless I did not read enough!)

A solenoid shift starter can do this if the drive is bad. There is an over running clutch in the drive, it protects the starter from "over reving" after the engine starts. If the starter works as it is supposed to the solenoid shifts the gear into the flywheel closes the contacts to operate the starter motor, then the engine turns over, If the clutch fails it can make a grinding noise or no noise except for the starter motor running.

Inertia starters have the gear "thrown" into the ring gear when the starter starts turning, Often this type has more gear wear than solenoid type. They also use some type of shock absorber between the starter gear and starter shaft, usually a spring of some type. The spring can break and make a no drive.

With either type it is possible but not likely the ring gear could be loose on the flywheel. Of course a bad ring gear can make a grinding sound too. Often the ring gear wears most at the spots the engine comes up on compression, so it may not wear even.

/ Starter not engaging flywheel? #38  
Since we don’t know the history of the machine, it is likely some flattened teeth in a couple spots since engines stop in the same locations. The teeth could be damaged from previous starters and it wasn’t addressed soon enough. Like others said rotate and inspect the entire flywheel and maybe you can file any bad areas to closely match the good areas.

/ Starter not engaging flywheel? #39  
Question: Did you get a complete starter and solenoid or are you using your old solenoid?

/ Starter not engaging flywheel? #40  
Do we know if it has a removable solenoid? Maybe I missed some details about the unit.